what would you do?

mom25kiddos

Mouseketeer
We have five kids, the older two are wild about HP, so we have agreed we would take them to US. The catch is we also have three younger children (4,5,6 years old) that are not into HP. We are debating having one parent take the big kids to US and the other go to MK for a day or two, rather than buying tickets to US for all 7 of us (saving about $1000). what would you do? Would it be 'worth it' to take the little three to US? Or are we better to separate?

One -- how is this saving you money (unless you already are going to be at Disney and just adding days to park tickets?)? Universal tickets are typically cheaper. Anyway, depends on the kids. My son has always liked Universal better from age 4.

I'd split up. It'll be more fun for the HP kids to have the chance to really explore without little siblings wanting to move it along.

My son loved Universal at 4, 5, and 6. My advise would be o go together to Universal, but split up for part of the day. One parent takes older kids to HP, the other let's the kids go crazy at Jurassic park, Curious George, or Seuss Landing (they really are fantastic areas and you're kids are the perfect ages for them). That way you can do some stuff together (there's a lot your 4 year old can do) but still get separate time.

There are some attractions in the Universal Parks that may appeal to the younger children.

Kid Play Areas include:
  • Curious George Goes to Town
  • Fievel’s Playland
  • Camp Jurassic
  • If I Ran the Zoo (Dr. Seuss)
  • Me Ship, The Olive (Popeye)
  • Jurassic Park Discovery Center (Indoor Museum)
Shows with no height requirement:
  • A Day in the Park with Barney
  • Animal Actors On Location
  • Shrek 4-D
  • T2 3-D: Battle Across Time
  • The Eighth Voyage of Sindbad Stunt Show
  • Poseidon's Fury
  • Universal Orlando's Horror Make-Up Show
Attractions with no height requirement when with an Adult:
  • Caro–Seuss–el
  • Hogwarts Express
  • Kang & Kodos' Twirl 'n' Hurl
  • Storm Force Accelatron
Height requirements of some of the other Attractions:
  • ET Adventure: 34" with Adult
  • Skull Island: Reign of Kong: 34"
  • Cat in the Hat: 36" with Adult
  • Pteranodon Flyers: 36" with Adult
  • Woody Woodpecker's Nuthouse Coaster: 36" with Adult
  • Flight of the Hippogriff: 36" with Adult
  • The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man: 40" with Adult
  • Transformers: The Ride-3D: 40" with Adult
  • The High in the Sky Seuss Trolley Train Ride: 40" with Adult
  • Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem: 40" with Adult
  • The Simpsons Ride: 40" with Adult
  • Men in Black: Alien Attack: 42" with Adult
  • Jurassic Park River Adventure: 42" with Adult
  • Popeye & Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges: 42" with Adult
  • Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls: 44" with Adult

Last edited:
Another option for the littles - extended time at the pool. At that age, my kids loved the resort pool as much as the parks!

One -- how is this saving you money (unless you already are going to be at Disney and just adding days to park tickets?)? Universal tickets are typically cheaper. Anyway, depends on the kids. My son has always liked Universal better from age 4.

We are planning on going to WDW regardless, and will have tickets. Adding a few extra days to our already existing WDW tickets is exponentially cheaper than buying four two day tickets to US. So that was what I was trying to decide-is it worth the $1000 to all do US or are we better to wait for the little kids to be a bit older.

We are planning on going to WDW regardless, and will have tickets. Adding a few extra days to our already existing WDW tickets is exponentially cheaper than buying four two day tickets to US. So that was what I was trying to decide-is it worth the $1000 to all do US or are we better to wait for the little kids to be a bit older.
I figured that was the reason.

I think splitting up would make it more enjoyable for everyone. Plus, who doesn't love some smaller group attention from a parent? I've four myself, with a decent age gap between my two sets. My big kids are currently 18 and 16, with my little kids at 8 and 6. Have a great trip!!

I think splitting up would make it more enjoyable for everyone. Plus, who doesn't love some smaller group attention from a parent? I've four myself, with a decent age gap between my two sets. My big kids are currently 18 and 16, with my little kids at 8 and 6. Have a great trip!!

Yep, two totally different mentalities about what is fun...good thing there is plenty to do for all ages.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter