What would you do? HRH or CBBR?

PopGirl26

Obsessed. Just obsessed.
Two options for a fall trip with 2 adults/3 kids, and multiple days at all 3 parks:

1. 2 standard rooms at CBBR and add on express pass for a couple of days (no, we don’t want a family suite). I like the theming and think the kids would love the bowling alley and arcade. I also like the idea of privacy for the adults and more space, but I’m nervous about a value resort and how far it is from the parks. At WDW, we love CR or BW best.

2. 1 standard room at HRH for a total of about $50/night more than option 1. This seems more like what we’re used to—deluxe resort close to the parks. But less space and no privacy. I also don’t know that my elementary age kids would like it as well.

I need some Uni veterans to help! Thank you!

Two options for a fall trip with 2 adults/3 kids, and multiple days at all 3 parks:

1. 2 standard rooms at CBBR and add on express pass for a couple of days (no, we don’t want a family suite). I like the theming and think the kids would love the bowling alley and arcade. I also like the idea of privacy for the adults and more space, but I’m nervous about a value resort and how far it is from the parks. At WDW, we love CR or BW best.

2. 1 standard room at HRH for a total of about $50/night more than option 1. This seems more like what we’re used to—deluxe resort close to the parks. But less space and no privacy. I also don’t know that my elementary age kids would like it as well.
No need to be nervous about how far CBBR is from the parks. Bus service is excellent. You do have to go through the security with the crowds from the parking garage, but it moves quickly. I have walked between the parks and CBBR on several occasions too.

There are many fans of CBBR here (me included) so if you are willing to shell out for EP, that eliminates the main issue. If you have checked the prices for unlimited EP and can work with it, it is really up to your preference. It's definitely not CR or BW level though. I suspect the price of EP may go up as you get closer to your date so you may want to buy early if you decide to stay there (I'm sure someone will correct me if that's wrong!)

Just noticed you said all 3 parks. Walking to VB from CBBR is a great perk. I like the dining option at the Bayliner Diner also.

Last edited:
HRH in a heartbeat, but there are only 4 of us. PBH would give you more room to spread out (extra 75 sq ft on the standard room), for the 5th person. We tend to spend most of our time out of the room, so everything is fine except maybe the bathroom in the morning. It really isn't a fair comparison between the two resorts. CB is ok, but HRH is in a different league with EPs, proximity to parks (boat is awesome), and nicer rooms.

I would expect option 2 to be less than option 1, given how expensive EPs are. Are you looking at APH rates for the rooms? What are your dates and how many kids are over 18?

HRH in a heartbeat, but there are only 4 of us. PBH would give you more room to spread out (extra 75 sq ft on the standard room), for the 5th person. We tend to spend most of our time out of the room, so everything is fine except maybe the bathroom in the morning. It really isn't a fair comparison between the two resorts. CB is ok, but HRH is in a different league with EPs, proximity to parks (boat is awesome), and nicer rooms.

I would expect option 2 to be less than option 1, given how expensive EPs are. Are you looking at APH rates for the rooms? What are your dates and how many kids are over 18?

We stayed at PBH last time and loved the size of the rooms but didn’t personally enjoy the theming.

I’ll be honest, I’m going to get a throwaway room at RPR for two days of EP, which is only $400 for the five of us that way. Two days is plenty for us.

Option 1. We stayed at CBBR and HRH last trip, and my kids all preferred CBBR. The pools have way more going on, and having two rooms for the five of you is far more comfortable than jamming into one room at HRH.

Option 1. We stayed at CBBR and HRH last trip, and my kids all preferred CBBR. The pools have way more going on, and having two rooms for the five of you is far more comfortable than jamming into one room at HRH.
Hugely helpful. Thank you!

While I know that you aren't interested in a family suite, but one thing to keep in mind is that I don't think there are any standard rooms that are connecting (in my experience, many of the suites are connected). Therefore you are going to need to have one adult in each room which kind of kills the privacy aspect. Also, as far as distance from the parks, CB is really quite close and walkable if need be. That being said Universal has Disney beat hands down on bus transportation. At park open and close there is almost always a bus pulling in as one is leaving. Or you can take the boat to Sapphire Falls and walk across the street. And of course proximity of CB to Volcano Bay can't be beat.

Daily express passes are stupid expensive. If you go with CB, you might want to price out getting a throwaway room for one night at one of the express pass hotel, which would give you two days worth of passes. Most times of the year, the math will work out in your favor.

We've done one split stay between HRH and CB and CB is, hands down, home. But we enjoyed our stay at Hard Rock as well.

While I know that you aren't interested in a family suite, but one thing to keep in mind is that I don't think there are any standard rooms that are connecting (in my experience, many of the suites are connected). Therefore you are going to need to have one adult in each room which kind of kills the privacy aspect. Also, as far as distance from the parks, CB is really quite close and walkable if need be. That being said Universal has Disney beat hands down on bus transportation. At park open and close there is almost always a bus pulling in as one is leaving. Or you can take the boat to Sapphire Falls and walk across the street. And of course proximity of CB to Volcano Bay can't be beat.

Daily express passes are stupid expensive. If you go with CB, you might want to price out getting a throwaway room for one night at one of the express pass hotel, which would give you two days worth of passes. Most times of the year, the math will work out in your favor.

We've done one split stay between HRH and CB and CB is, hands down, home. But we enjoyed our stay at Hard Rock as well.
Ooohhh, really?! Okay, I’ll call universal tomorrow and ask about connecting doors. Thank you!

yes, I am doing a throwaway room to get EP, not buying individually.

Thank you for your help!

Ooohhh, really?! Okay, I’ll call universal tomorrow and ask about connecting doors. Thank you!

I'm 99% certain. We stayed in a standard room once and there just isn't any room for one since there are beds and the bathroom on one side and the (tiny) closet, TV/dresser and tiny table on the other.

CB also has a small number of two bedroom suites in the new towers, but from what I've seen, it's usually cheaper to get two family suites. We've stayed at CB a bunch of times and at least 50% of the time, we got a suite with a connecting door. We only stay in interior suites so I don't know if that makes a difference.

I'm 99% certain. We stayed in a standard room once and there just isn't any room for one since there are beds and the bathroom on one side and the (tiny) closet, TV/dresser and tiny table on the other.

CB also has a small number of two bedroom suites in the new towers, but from what I've seen, it's usually cheaper to get two family suites. We've stayed at CB a bunch of times and at least 50% of the time, we got a suite with a connecting door. We only stay in interior suites so I don't know if that makes a difference.

I actually just now lucked into a 2 bedroom VB view suite for our dates and grabbed it! Previously it wasn’t there!

Are these tower rooms a long walk to the lobby and buses?

decisions, decisions…. If I take the more costly suite I’ll have to cut EP. but goodness it looks cool!

Are these tower rooms a long walk to the lobby and buses?

In my experience, the walk can feel pretty long (particularly at the end of the night), but it isn't too terrible. We've been in a room at the very end of the Continental wing - basically as close as you can get to the new towers without being in them - and we would always walk outside along the pool which seemed to make it feel shorter. If you look at photos of the lazy river/pool area, you can get a good idea of the distance. If it's a five minute walk, I'd be surprised.

The new towers are on the bus drop-off and diner side of the hotel. They are RIGHT next to Volcano Bay. If you have a Volcano view, some people have reported issues with the early morning noise.

Do you have an annual pass or have you looked at upgrading one of your tickets? The AP hotel discounts can definitely help out at times.

In my experience, the walk can feel pretty long (particularly at the end of the night), but it isn't too terrible. We've been in a room at the very end of the Continental wing - basically as close as you can get to the new towers without being in them - and we would always walk outside along the pool which seemed to make it feel shorter. If you look at photos of the lazy river/pool area, you can get a good idea of the distance. If it's a five minute walk, I'd be surprised.

The new towers are on the bus drop-off and diner side of the hotel. They are RIGHT next to Volcano Bay. If you have a Volcano view, some people have reported issues with the early morning noise.

Do you have an annual pass or have you looked at upgrading one of your tickets? The AP hotel discounts can definitely help out at times.
No, Disney APs but not Uni. It looks like I could upgrade for about $100 though. I can’t thank you enough for your advice! Lots to consider…

I need some Uni veterans to help! Thank you!

HRH is our 2nd home, although PB might be moving into the top spot soon!!!

We did a split stay at HRH and CBBR last fall, in a FS, I was really surprised with the value, bus service was phenomenal, Bayliner Diner had surprisingly good offerings, 2 cool pools with a lazy river, and walking over to VB was great, the resort is spread out and good size but if you can manage a day or days of theme park walking there is nothing to worry about at CBBR.

Being so close to the parks and Citywalk is a huge benefit at HRH the EP is obviously a huge benefit and the pool is cool, any of the restaurants or other services we have had at HRH are always superb. You can definitely tell a difference between a Premier and Value though, if you aren’t planning on spending a lot of time in your room I would most likely go with HRH.

I’m leaning toward a slight compromise. I contacted Uni and asked a few travel agent friends, and it seems there are CBBR standard rooms with connecting doors.

I’m thinking
4 nights in two standard rooms
On one of those nights, also book a throwaway room at HRH to get two days of EP, AND check out the resort a bit to see if we like it for next time

I was so happy to snag a 2BR volcano view last night, but it’s so expensive that EP would be out, and I think that would matter more to my kids than the volcano view.

The biggest lesson here is that we need to visit Uni more often and try out more hotels!

It is certainly a personal decision. Our kids did enjoy the lazy river at CB, but we just don't seem to use the pool much. We've been on 5 trips spanning over 20 days, and the kids and I have been in the parks every day and almost every evening. We don't always make it for EE since we usually have EPs, but every trip I say we're going to do a "relax at the pool" day and it just never seems to happen. I suspect it is because we have a neighborhood pool to use most of the year.

If we had interest in VB, then that would make CB more appealing. We have a White Water here that we don't go to, even though our Six Flags passes allow us to go for free.

But in the end, I think we've been spoiled with EPs and the ability to walk/boat to the parks and CityWalk. My wife and I definitely appreciate the nicer rooms/restaurants in the deluxe resorts, vs the cafeteria style at CB/ESS. That said, I suspect the kids would be happy sleeping in a tent in the CityWalk parking garage, if it meant extending our stay (especially if it meant missing school)...

For my family of 5 HRH is our home! The pool is wonderful they pipe the music underwater and it has a slide. APH rates plus unlimited express passes make HRH the place for us. Unlimited express just makes the experience so much more relaxed for us. There is also a deluxe queen room at HRH that you can book outright that has more space and a pull-out couch. For my family we are there for the theme park experience, we can go to a pool and water park here at home. We did do wet and wild the last year before it closed and kids just kept asking when we were going back to the parks. There are many water rides and play areas where you can get drenched in the parks. That said with multiple visits to Universal we have never done volcano bay.

We stayed at PBH last time and loved the size of the rooms but didn’t personally enjoy the theming.

I’ll be honest, I’m going to get a throwaway room at RPR for two days of EP, which is only $400 for the five of us that way. Two days is plenty for us.
Can you get 5 EPs with just a normal (4 person) room?
We are a family of five and I assumed that Universal wouldn't give out five room keys for a four person room. Disney has always been very precise on that.

Can you get 5 EPs with just a normal (4 person) room?
We are a family of five and I assumed that Universal wouldn't give out five room keys for a four person room. Disney has always been very precise on that.
RPR, HRH, and PBR all sleep 5.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter