What would you choose - Swan Reserve or Riveria (studio)? summer stay

oceanmarina

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

Just wanted to ask the board - for a 3 night late summer stay, would you choose a 2 queen room at Swan reserve or a Studio at the Riveria? We have never been to either hotel.
( we are a family of four and have park hopper tickets)

I like the idea of multiple pools and restaurants at the swan/ dolphin.
How are the pools at the Riveria? Im hoping for a pool vibe that’s not necessarily quiet - I don’t care about kids splashing or noise, but I would really like to avoid a resort that has a lot of ball throwing in the pools. (Just a pet peeve of mine and I noticed that even the “quiet “ pools at Disney have a lot of this going on when I’ve stayed there. )

Also, if you are not a DVC member, can you use the laundromat room at the Riveria? We are not DVC members and on one online review I think they mentioned the laundry room was for DVC members only.

Thanks for any feedback, Marina

Riviera is all DVC, so there are no restrictions that I am aware of. This only happens at resorts that have hotel and DVC guests. I am a DVC member and love the Riviera and own there. I would choose it for the ease of transportation options.

So the only pool i can suggest that would meet your wants is AKL Jambo. You would also have access to the kidani pool. Jambo is not Quiet has a great vibe and by far is big enough that if a group is throwing a ball you can move to another side of the pool and feel as if they are in a different pool. There are certainly enough restaurants to keep you happy between both resorts plus very fast to anything at AK. As far as laundry while I can not comment on Rivera direct the rooms are locked and need a magic band/card to open with DVC member on the card. But it is just not that easy to get a machine as there are few so you will have to stalk them and wait just may not be something you want to spend hours doing on such a short trip. I don’t see transportation as mentioned and by far AKL will be better than Swan reserve although Rivera will give you easy access to EPCOT and HS swan will offer no time savings to any park.
I have not stayed at the Rivera but the times I have visited or passed by on the sky liner the pool always seemed empty not sure if that is frequent.

. I don’t see transportation as mentioned and by far AKL will be better than Swan reserve although Rivera will give you easy access to EPCOT and HS swan will offer no time savings to any park.
I don't think this is accurate. While not quite a close as the Dolphin or Swan, you can still walk or take the boat to both EPOCT & HS from the Swan Reserve. With hopper tickets I think it would be better to be close to 2 parks vs far from 3 parks like you are when you stay at AKL.
Another factor to consider, the Swan is treated like a Deluxe resort so you get those extra hour benefits.

Last edited:

I don't think this is accurate. While not quite a close as the Dolphin or Swan, you can still walk or take the boat to both EPOCT & HS from the Swan Reserve. With hopper tickets I think it would be better to be close to 2 parks vs far from 3 parks like you are when you stay at AKL.
Another factor to consider, the Swan is treated like a Deluxe resort so you get those extra hour benefits. You wouldn't be able to take advantage of that at the Riveria.
Actually, Riviera is DVC and they are also treated as deluxe, so you do get the evening extra hours.

I would pick Swan, because RIV is so dependent on the Skyliner. The Skyliner can and does go down for lightning, and that causes transportation chaos. IMO, the RIV pool is nothing special, I wouldn't base this choice on that.

I haven't been to RIV exactly, but every other DVC laundry room has a key card access, to keep cash guests from getting in -- even in buildings that are all DVC. The laundry is only for DVC owners or renters. Once you are in, it's free, but that might be tough. The coin op Swolphin laundry is in Dolphin, I think, so maybe not the most convenient.

I'd much rather take the boat to Epcot/HS, so swan.

i haven't stayed at Swolphin in years, but I would bet that they are generally higher quality than DVC. DVC has really cut corners IMO on things like linens and mattresses and toiletries and TP. I would find that unlikely at a brand new, fancy Marriott, but I guess still possible. Maybe they even have bathrobes.

I would also guess Marriott will bring you a rollaway bed for your kids to sleep apart. DVC will not do that, and the second bed is a foldaway. I did sleep on the foldaway at the recent Poly refurb, and I thought it was fine. But I would take Marriott beds all day any day.

Last edited:
The walk to the reserve is farther than I would have liked. Room was nice but I think I may splurge for the Swan next time. I personally love the skyliner, Toppolinos, and the overall vibe of Riv. Transportation to MK/AK from Swan reserve is spotty and takes you to ttc.

The walk to the reserve is farther than I would have liked. Room was nice but I think I may splurge for the Swan next time. I personally love the skyliner, Toppolinos, and the overall vibe of Riv. Transportation to MK/AK from Swan reserve is spotty and takes you to ttc.
When staying at the Swolphin and going to MK or AK, I take the bus from the Yacht Club or Boardwalk and no TTC.

When staying at the Swolphin and going to MK or AK, I take the bus from the Yacht Club or Boardwalk and no TTC.
Yes but at night after a full day in the rain it it’s LONG. I did this also during my stay there. For people that can handle it it is fine. But if there are people in the group that aren’t strong walkers, it can be a hassle or if you put in 10+ miles it can feel longer. Just my 2 cents.

Hi all,

Just wanted to ask the board - for a 3 night late summer stay, would you choose a 2 queen room at Swan reserve or a Studio at the Riveria? We have never been to either hotel.
( we are a family of four and have park hopper tickets)

I like the idea of multiple pools and restaurants at the swan/ dolphin.
How are the pools at the Riveria? Im hoping for a pool vibe that’s not necessarily quiet - I don’t care about kids splashing or noise, but I would really like to avoid a resort that has a lot of ball throwing in the pools. (Just a pet peeve of mine and I noticed that even the “quiet “ pools at Disney have a lot of this going on when I’ve stayed there. )

Also, if you are not a DVC member, can you use the laundromat room at the Riveria? We are not DVC members and on one online review I think they mentioned the laundry room was for DVC members only.

Thanks for any feedback, Marina
So I've visited both resorts and have stayed at Swan/Dolphin a bunch but have passed on SR for the following reasons-
  1. It's really expensive if you aren't using points
  2. you share laundry with Swan & Dolphin, laundry is at Dolphin not on site at S/R
  3. you share buses with Swan/Dolphin, not the end of the world but it's something you should be heads up on
  4. you share in room dining with S/D too
  5. Pool is nice but very sterile. Pool at RIV is much nicer and more fun IMO.
Overall, the SR is a nice hotel but it's nothing unique that you couldn't find in any other city as an upscale/luxury resort and for the cost, I think it's lacking in amenities. As long as you are booking a regular studio with the pull down murphy bed and not a tower studio, which I think those only can sleep 2, I would choose RIV over SR. Also, even if the skyliner is down some for weather, you'll still likely get a chance to utilize it for Epcot/DHS visits and it's a really convenient, fun form of transportation.

I don't know if you can access laundry but I'd say yes. I've stayed in DVC rooms for cash bookings at BWV and AKL and have never had issues using the laundry but I realize YMMV given so much changes all the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter