What WDW restaurant surprised you the most on your last trip?

Positive - 1900 PF: Didn't expect much from a buffet restaurant but the character interaction was amazing and the food was better than expected!

Negative - Prime Time: After hearing so many amazing reviews we decided to give it a try. Food was mediocre to bad and we got zero of that famous interaction from our server. We all agreed it wasn't worth the hype and we won't be back.

The Wave - we had gone on a previous visit and really enjoyed everything. However, this last visit, everything went wrong and much of our food was either prepared incorrectly or cold. Even our drinks had to be sent back (dirty glasses)! Might have hit them on a bad night, but there are too many other solid choices that we probably won't go back for a while.

Not a fancy restaurant but on our last trip we stayed at BLT and were very pleasantly surprised by Contempo Cafe. We don't usually eat many meals at our resort, but this trip we had my four month old granddaughter with us and spent a lot of down time at the resort. We ended up eating several meal there and were really pleased with the quality and variety of food.

Last edited:
Not a fancy restaurant but on our last trip we stayed at BLT and were very pleasantly surprised by Contempo Cafe. We don't usually eat many meals at our resort, but this trip we had my four month old granddaughter with us and spent a lot of down time at the resort. We ended up eating several meals at there and were really pleased with the quality and variety of food.

This sounds good...somebody on another thread mentioned they had pot roast here and with it gone from the LTT I was thinking perhaps we could give it a try here. My parents are staying at BLT at our next trip, and the rest of our party is at SSR. I'm thinking perhaps we can drive over to their resort and have lunch or dinner with them here one night.

The Hangar Bar! Great drinks and really good appetizer plates. The wings were fantastic.

Tusker house was a disaster for us so we won't be back. The characters were just not interested, the tables were too close together so the very limited time we had with the characters was interrupted by children on the next table butting in. The food was not memorable either. We actually complained to the manager (first time we have complained about dining).

Last year we tried Whispering Canyon and loved the food, but we all needed a rest after gorging ourselves on all that meat!

We have our favorites that we hit everytime (Ohana, Kona, Boma, Sanna, etc)

Our "Hit" was The Plaza. I love that you do not need a reservation and that the food was very good and the ice cream was delicious.

Our other "Hit" was the Wave - we were staying at the CR so we tried it and loved it for lunch. We had moved to the Poly midway thru our trip and we went back to the Wave for lunch one day. it is great that you can get reservations the day of the food is delicious. We all loved our meal.

Our "Miss" was Sci Fi - we eat there every time and this time it was not good. The food was much smaller in size than usually. They cut down on the size of the sandwiches. Also the food didn't taste the same. So sad. We won't be going back for a while.

Last edited:
I think we were most surprised by La Hacienda de San Angel. We walked in and both of our jaws dropped at the view and we loved the food. The Wave was also a terrific breakfast surprise. The buffet was the best I have had on property.

First time for us at Skippers Canteen and STK and we loved them.
Most disappointing: Yachtsman Steakhouse which we've always loved. Food was mediocre at best.

ABC Commissary. I heard such terrible things about it, but me and my mom liked it so much, we ate there twice! The cupcakes were AMAZING, as was the grilled chicken! Definitely going back.

Positive: Mama Melrose at HS. I had read some good reviews on the Boards recently but had never gone thinking I can get good Italian in my home city. However, it wasn't just good, it was excellent. Tasty calamari appetizer. Very good steak. Wonderful cannoli. Even the bread & olive oil plate was great. Best wait service of my vacation. I also really loved the quirky decor & atmosphere. The Fantasmic Pkg was a great deal with the included appetizer.

100% exact same thoughts on MM. Calamari was great. Mussels were 'OK.' I really liked the steak - that earthy sauce on the steak, I LOVED it! I expected much less. Wonderful surprise. Everyone at the table felt the same. I even stopped at the hostess stand to let them know that Rose was an excellent server. I only picked MM because it was the cheapest Fantasmic pkg. I figured overcooked pasta with prego was what we were going to be in for. Wow, was I wrong. Wouldn't hesitate to go again for the Fantasmic pkg.

WCC- we all loved it, including my picky children.

Via Napoli... the service wasn't very good and the pizza was forgettable. Plus, the sundae was mainly vanilla ice cream. Very disappointing.

We were very pleasantly surprised by Sci Fi. Hadn't been there since our first trip, about 10 years ago. We had a very mediocre experience then; 50s PT became one of our "we ALWAYS go there" places, so Sci Fi just never came up again. Until we headed to 50sPT for our ADR on our most recent visit, were told that it was closed (?!? something weird happened, for sure), but that any other TS at HS would honor our ADR. Long sotry short, we chose 50sPT, and really enjoyed it! Good burgers, good beer, and good service! It's back on our "potentials" list!

Kona Cafe! We are huge Ohana fans and I was very sad that the family decided to try Kona instead of Ohana this year (No free dining means cost becomes a factor again, how annoying), but I was extremely satisfied with it! The food was amazing

Shush - Kona is not be discussed! One of our family's favorites. Food is good, service is good plus you can get the bread pudding for dessert if you asked nicely.

We were pleasantly surprised by La Hacienda and Skipper Canteen, and pretty underwhelmed by breakfast at Kona Café.

Good surprise, Crystal Palace. It's a tradition for us because my kids love the atmosphere, but the food has always been mediocre. This past August we went for lunch, and I was really impressed with the selections. It was one of the best meals we had on the trip.

Bad surprise, Be our Guest. While my steak was flavorful, about half of it was fat/gristle. Even the waitress had commented that it was more than usual. And the brownie my grey stuff was on was hard as a rock. Loved the atmosphere, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!