What WDW restaurant surprised you the most on your last trip?

JeannieKY

Tink fan
Curious if anyone had a much better or worse experience at a WDW restaurant on a recent trip. If so, please share.

Shulas. We had been going there for STEAK about 12 years, twice per year.

THEN Fulton's closed up shop. Where to get killer seafood? Turns out - SHULAS. We went TWICE - one night was "steak night", the second? LOBSTER night :). And Shula's delivered - BIG time :).

I have no idea when "Paddlefish" will open. I have no idea what they will offer. I DO know it isn't Fultons. Now? I really don't care - they will, or will not, offer high end shellfish. I know who DOES :).

On the negative side, Flying Fish. For us, it did not live up to the stellar reviews we say on the DIS and other websites. Service was incredibly slow and inattentive and the food wasn't very good.

On the positive side, Spice Road Table. We've been here a few times and it's always been good, but on our last trip, it was stellar. The food was great, atmosphere is lovely and our server was out of this world.

It was San Angel Inn for me too. We've been thinking about it for the last couple of trips, but the mixed reviews, and a tiny bit of 'fear' of authentic Mexican food, we've been hesitant. All three of us really enjoyed our lunch in September. I had the 3 tacos (substituted the green sauce for the red), my mom had the enchiladas, and my dad had the sirloin and chilaquiles (I figured he'd be ok w/the sirloin, but I was surprised he liked the chilaquiles too). We had a later lunch ADR so it wasn't very crowded, and we lucked out with a seat right by the water. We will definitely be going back!

I was also pleasantly surprised by my lunch at Rose & Crown. I usually get the steak here, but have them leave the sauce off because I usually find that sauces overpower the flavor of the steak. This time I forgot to ask to skip the sauce, and I really enjoyed it. It was not overpowering at all.

Ohanas...we were so excited to eat dinner there after all the reviews we had read. The service was excruciatingly slow and the meat was so fatty and cold that we couldn't even eat it. Maybe we hit it on a bad night, but we were so disappointed.

Wanted to do a positive though for Narcoosees. AMAZING dinner!

1900 PF...I had gotten rid of the ADR after they changed the menu last year, but my friend kept telling me it was one of their favorites. While we were at Disney, I switched our H&V Minnie Dine for 1900 PF and it ended up being the favorite of our trip! Food was delicious and characters were amazing!

Positive - H&V for lunch. We just did it for the Fantasmic tickets. The lunch buffet was awesome! And we enjoyed meeting the characters multiple times, even though we had no idea who they were. :rotfl:

Negative - Ohana's. One of our favourites in the past. Service was rushed or non existent. Salad and noodles came immediately (before drinks). No bread came. We had to ask. The waiter forgot to bring us skewers of meat, we had to find him. Then it took forever to get our bill. Food was good, but service was bad.

Positive: Hollywood Brown Derby... wasn't really expecting much and we were there primarily because it was the only thing left for the Fantasmic package but it was overall a very good meal.

Negative: Narcoossee's... some of the issue was probably the opposite of HBD because I had higher expectations for the food and for me it was all pretty forgettable, especially for a signature. I do have to say you cannot beat the view of the Electric Water Pagent and Wishes though.

We just returned 10 days ago. We had these ADRs.

Flying Fish - great food and service - just not sure it's worth the $$$$ (I think it's a little over priced).
Trattoria Al Forno - was great - Will try breakfast someday - but we can get Italian Food at home and we more or less cook Italian Food at home :)
The Wave - was a nice surprise and better than I expected (not sure what I expected :teeth:)

In the end - three great meals

Last edited:
We usually do character buffets, since we have a 6 year old who would rather gobble her food down than sit and eat like a human. If i was six i would do the same so i could get park time.

Most of the buffets I found to be the same average quality. Not good, not bad. After all we are there to see the charcters.

I think the Sci-Fi drive in is was good. Also, if you have you kids check out T-rex in Disney Springs. We only had nachos, but the atmosphere was awesome.

San Angel Inn for us! We picked it last minute because of the good reservation time. I was so nervous that no one would like it but it turned out to be everyone's favorite meal of the trip. We actually wished we'd booked it twice. Best server, great fruit for the kids, and our meal was fabulous!

Diamond Horseshoe. I've always read such negative reviews of the place. We went over the summer and we all enjoyed it. Nothing to write home about, but it wasn't bad either.

Last edited:
We just returned from our trip of 10/22-10/29.

Negative - Morimoto Asia. We were so excited to try this but we were so disappointed. Service was inconsistent and slow. Entrees were very disappointing.
All served at different intervals. Worst lobster I've ever had. Oily and greasy. Not worth 2 dining credits. Will not be giving it a
second shot which is not like us.

Positive: California Grill. Never fails to wow us. Great experience. Even with the dining plan its pricey with appetizers, drinks and gratuity extra but worth
every penny. Can't wait to return.
Trails End at Ft Wilderness. On our last night we did their bbq buffet which was great. Had everything for everyone. Nice surprise.
After Trails End we went to Chip & Dales campfire/singalong. Nice wind down way to end the trip and would definitely do it again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter