What was on your music playlist when you were 21?

No playlist when I was 21 - they didn’t exist.
I just listened to the radio station that had the current music, which was B96 in Chicago.

When I was 21 I was just getting out of an abusive relationship and was a mother to a 2yo and newborn. For the previous 2 years or so I didn’t really listen to any music but what HE wanted to listen to. When I started to listen to what I wanted I discovered country music wasn’t the twangy crap my uncle would listen to. Garth Brooks was the first CD I bought. Little Texas and Bryan White were my favorites back then.

As others have said, no playlists for me, vinyl only, all the way through. Eagles, Doobie Bros., E. L. & P., Yes

I had been working in radio for 3 years when I turned 21. Did lots of radio drama shows in my College years.
I used a lot of music in my work, most often instrumental versions of popular songs. Lots of vinyl LPs that I still have. My kids about 15 years ago got me some Beatles' CDs because they discovered I owned 15 vinyl LPs of Beatles' music, NONE of it performed by the Beatles. All instrumental. Some performed on a synthesizer, some performed by Orchestras.
As other's mentioned, play lists didn't exist in 1978. We just had Casey Kasem once a week counting down the Top 40.........which ironically........I am listening to right now on Sirius XM (from November 29 1975, when I was 18).
Lots of Beatles, Monkees, Beethoven, Bach, Spike Jones would have been on my play list in 1978.

Last edited:
A lot of Billy Joel, some Rush (then boyfriend, now DH's influence), and scattered Bette Midler songs (a dorm mate's influence).

I find it very interesting how cyclic music technology is. We went from albums (set playlists) to cassettes (creating our own playlists via mixed tapes) to CDs (back to set playlists) to digital (back to created/personalized playlists.)

That's a good question! I'm trying to think of what CDs I owned back then. If I had had a playlist it probably would have consisted of Nirvana, Garth Brooks, ACDC, Snoop Dog, Metallica, Travis Tritt and Randy Travis.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter