What TV shows started good but have become terrible?

Yes! The Walking Dead. Used to love that show. Some seasons were just bogged down with so much filler, which is a pain when there were so many commercial breaks (I used to watch it on AMC religiously). The gimmick around faking a certain character's death was also an insult to the audience.

I haven't seen the final season yet.
Same, haven't watched the final season. I just happened to pull it up on Netflix to watch the past few seasons, I was finished when the character we essentially was watching through disappeared. It gave no reason to continue watching.

I thought it was over and done with this past season. Would have been nice to have some closure, but they basically changed it to a new and different show.

It's over now but Supernatural. First five seasons were awesome, hit and miss after that but I couldn't even watch the last few seasons they were soooo bad.
I stuck it out to the end, but wish I'd never watched the last episode. I knew some people were sad when it was ending, but I saw it more as putting it out of its misery. It was time.

Season 2 was poor, but Season 3 was a welcome relief. Season 4 is going well so far. Part 2 airs tomorrow, I believe.

Yeah, Season 2 was definitely not as good, but 3 got better and 4 has been great too. I mean, Season 2 wawsn't exactly bad either, except for that terrible episode where Elle goes to Chicago. What were they thinking.

I like shows that have been on so long that they've gotten bad, then good again, and even bad again and good again too, like SVU. One show I outright stopped watching was ER back in the day, when they chopped off that dude's arm with a helicopter blade. It was gratuitous and unnecessary, plus they had already killed off or gotten rid of all the classic characters. At that point they could only seem to maim or kill characters to create drama.

Last edited:

Same, haven't watched the final season. I just happened to pull it up on Netflix to watch the past few seasons, I was finished when the character we essentially was watching through disappeared. It gave no reason to continue watching.

I thought it was over and done with this past season. Would have been nice to have some closure, but they basically changed it to a new and different show.

Spoilers:

I think you mean RIck, but I agree. I know the actor wanted a break from the show, but that was a contrived exit (with the promise of his return via a movie later on).

I was talking about Glen. The series leads you to believe he fell off a dumpster into a zombie hoard and was ripped apart. Instead it was the guy who was with him (who had just shot himself out of remorse for something unrelated). The show took way too long to finally reveal that Glen got away, purposely manipulating the audience for ratings.

There was a time when the show runners (mainly Scott Gimple) made such poor decisions with the expectation that the fanbase is loyal enough to stick with the show despite sloppy storytelling. Same goes for the show grinding to a halt during Negan's dominance over Rick's group, which was the point many stopped watching. You're forced to see characters you like become whittled-down and tortured. Their attempts at fighting back were too little too late.

Anyhow, when Gimple was replaced with Angela Kang, the show improved but it wasn't in the same shape as before.

Grey's Anatomy...
That was my first thought. I bailed on that one a long time ago.

Downton Abbey had a few seasons that weren't as good. Season 4 I believe. Same with Handmaid's Tale. Don't get me wrong, I still watch and enjoyed but they storylines weren't as strong as earlier seasons.

My Name Is Earl: it stopped being funny when Earl went to prison.

How I Met Your Mother: Just kept dragging on and on and on and being worse and worse and worse. I was hate watching the last season just because I'd invested so much time in it. And then they came back with How I Met Your Father! Like I was going to trust them after dragging us through years of HIMYM decline.

(BTW, h/t to @Mysterian for that cook trick with spoilers!)

That was my first thought. I bailed on that one a long time ago.

Downton Abbey had a few seasons that weren't as good. Season 4 I believe. Same with Handmaid's Tale. Don't get me wrong, I still watch and enjoyed but they storylines weren't as strong as earlier seasons.
Me too... Don't know which season it was but it was after Christina had left but the show was just too much. It should have been cancelled long ago...

How I Met Your Mother: Just kept dragging on and on and on and being worse and worse and worse. I was hate watching the last season just because I'd invested so much time in it. And then they came back with How I Met Your Father! Like I was going to trust them after dragging us through years of HIMYM decline.

I didn't watch that show but you made me think of another that is in the same situation - Pretty Little Liars... Dragged on and on and on... I only watched it til the end to find out who A finally was... Went on way too long...

Did you read any of the books? I read the entire series and I'm sitting here trying to remember how far they ventured from them along the way. it's been so long I am not able to recall. It's quite frustrating. I know some was changed because some characters were just so popular they kept them when they died in the books
I have not read the books. There's a point in the series where it's difficult to guess how much is the source material and how much is HBO. If the books are anything like the HBO series, it probably reads like an R-rated Twilight.

Designated Survivor. The first season it was on my must see list, but by the second season, I quit. The premise was good, but it was like they had different writers for the first season and their replacements didn’t have a clue.

I agree about the Goldbergs. I didn’t really love it from the start, but once the kids grew up and they were still acting like children, I was done.

Oh! Sleepy Hollow. The first season was good, but it went downhill after that. Then what they did to Abbie killed my interest completely.

NCIS

The first 15 or so seasons were good. Then the writers ran out of ideas.

The show used to be about crimes directly involving the military. The stories now have the most tenuous connection to the military and then delve off to some non-military tangent.

Mark Harmon and Pauley Perrette need to make peace with each other and then go back to the show. Now that "Bull" is done, Michael Weatherly needs to go back to the show. Cote de Pablo really hasn't done anything since leaving the show. It would probably be good for her to also return to the show.

I really like this show when it first came out. I watched the whole thing, and the ending was just such a letdown. I guess I should ask myself what did I expect?? I expected anything other than what happened. Big letdown.

Blacklist is another show that started out good, but they should really wrap it up already. I hate to stop watching because I've been watching from the beginning, but it just goes on and on...

I agree with this one, let's meet the mother already! That was another show that just went on too long.
Designated Survivor. The first season it was on my must see list, but by the second season, I quit. The premise was good, but it was like they had different writers for the first season and their replacements didn’t have a clue.

I agree about the Goldbergs. I didn’t really love it from the start, but once the kids grew up and they were still acting like children, I was done.

Agree, this show started out really good but then it just lost it. Too bad, could have been much better. I do believe this is on Netflix now, maybe I will have to go back and watch the first few episodes again. Maybe it should have been a movie instead of a TV series.

I have not read the books. There's a point in the series where it's difficult to guess how much is the source material and how much is HBO. If the books are anything like the HBO series, it probably reads like an R-rated Twilight.
It varies some and doesn’t some
Like so many
Books rarely translate directly to the screen
But it was way better than glittery vampires that much is certain 😂

Colony is another show that was good, but it never had an ending, I HATE when they do that. Just give us an end, wrap it up for us. This one had Josh Holloway who was in Lost.

V and Falling Skies were both series about alien invasion, but neither had an ending. So frustrating!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!