What Trips the New Scanners to Force a Bag Search?

DVC92

DIS Veteran
I saw where someone stated that suntan lotion and an eyeglass case triggered a bag search. I know that WDW Birthday/Anniversary/First Visit buttons triggered the old scanners. Does anyone know of any items to avoid that trigger a search with the new scanners?

The batteries in my re-chargeable neck fans triggered (beap noise) the scanners every time. It got to the point that I just walked through the scanners and straight to the search desk without waiting for them to direct me there. The search desks are not busy so it doesn’t take long at all.

Anything metal and cylindrical basically. They'll remind you to take out umbrellas, water bottles, and eyeglass cases and hold them in front of you before you walk through.

Umbrella and portable cell phone charger.

I didn't have any issues with my birthday button. I always held my umbrella and phone charger out in front of me and was waved through all but one time.

The batteries in my re-chargeable neck fans triggered (beap noise) the scanners every time. It got to the point that I just walked through the scanners and straight to the search desk without waiting for them to direct me there. The search desks are not busy so it doesn’t take long at all.

Terrific, we will have too many items that are likely to trigger the scanners. I figured instead of trying to pull them all out and hold up to pass through that I would go through and straight to the search tables.

It was our sunglasses cases and spay sunscreen. With 3 pairs or sunglasses in hard sided cases, 1 pair of reading glasses in a hard case plus 1-2 bottles of spray sunscreen, it was too much to hold through in front of us, so we went through the scanner and straight to the checker people.

I saw where someone stated that suntan lotion and an eyeglass case triggered a bag search. I know that WDW Birthday/Anniversary/First Visit buttons triggered the old scanners. Does anyone know of any items to avoid that trigger a search with the new scanners?

The security guard says Altoid tins do every time. Also, umbrellas or other items that are long and cylindrical.

At DS, they searched my bag for DH's medication and insulin supplies.

Probably also depends on how they have it setup and how sensitive it is. I know at airports I have been through scanners on the same day in different cities when making connections and set off some but not others, so clearly they are not all exactly the same. Now I don't worry about what sets it off and just walk through and see what happens.

I recommend putting metal into a gallon zip lock and holding the bag out in front of you when you walk through. Worked like a charm for me. I threw my glasses cases, battery chargers, umbrellas across two of them.

After DH got caught several times in June, we realized it’s not simply metal items that trigger further evaluation, it’s items that cast a suspicious shadow. We had a prism shaped cardboard sunglass case in the backpack. Once we started carrying that in our hands, no more being pulled aside.

Just returned from the World and love the new scanners. My wife and I went through them numerous times and never triggered a search. When we carried umbrellas, I held them out in front of me so we weren't stopped. I use to hate putting my stuff in the baskets, and my wife hated having the guards go through her bag. Clearly, a positive upgrade.

Wow very interesting - I have no less than 3 eye glass cases on me when I travel never once has my stuff been searched - funny how that works - some airports do it and others don’t - this for me would apply to about 5 airports in US alone - so very interesting
Now I have been searched several times (complete pat down / bomb swipe / questions etc - because I have a LOT of metal holding my neck together and I guess they just can’t understand that
Now DH who hardly anything ( there are several reasons for this ) will be extensively searched and his stuff gone thru with a fine tooth comb - this applies everywhere in US but did not happen to either of us in Europe or Canada
So I must assume he looks like a terrorist in US and they think I’m hiding metal in my neck that I’m going to rip out once I’m on the plane ! Haa haa !!
I believe I said that once to an agent who just kept checking my neck - after the 5th time it was getting old - the scans clearly show just like an X-ray so let’s move on here !

I've actually taken to throwing my phone, battery charger, fan, and anything that I've had trip the scanners the last few trips into a gallon size ziploc and just pull that out and hold it in front of me as I go through security. Never got pulled aside when I did that. And it also acts as a waterproof barrier if needed.

I carried a magnetic money clip that I believe was my culprit of problems because I did not carry many of the things that people have already cited.

I carried a magnetic money clip that I believe was my culprit of problems because I did not carry many of the things that people have already cited.
My DH had that same issue - but only at CR, going up to the monorail station, after having entered several parks all week without a problem! :earboy2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter