What to wear

Robindianne

DIS Veteran
Not sure this is the exact place to post this but here goes. I need to lose a bit of weight, get fit, toned, etc. But, until then, what styles can I wear that look less frumpy but don't cost a fortune? I'm 5'3" and wear size 12 to 16 depending. You get the picture? Chubby and short. Not obese but definately out of the "normal" range. I want to feel like I look good anyway. So, any ideas? Can you help? I just saw a what not to wear show and I want someone to tell me where to shop and what to buy to look sexy and good :) But, if I can't have that then . . .

TIA

Gee! You and I could be TWINS!!! Same height, sizes. I'd love to know the answer, too!

I'm also petite at 5'1. My favorite look these days is a nice, fitted jacket over a fitted top with a pair of boot leg or flare jeans with heels. I think this was my best look when I was a little heavier, and it's still one of my favorites now for the office. Of course, we can wear jeans to work so that makes a difference.

While I've been losing, I've tried (notice I say "tried") not to spend too much money on "transitional" clothes by shopping at Kohl's, Goody's & Stein Mart. All have petite selections. Recently though, since I'm less than 10# from goal, I've splurged on some nice items from Ann Taylor Loft, but purchased a bit tight with the hopes that they will fit perfectly once I reach goal.

I'm in the same range as you guys, and echo pugdog's post. I have good luck at Kohl's. I usually buy petite 14 or 16's, since I wear a lot of pants and the pant legs are shorter on petites. You may want to try Ross, if you have one in your area -- the only thing that bugs me about Ross is you have to look by size, rather than style, so they might not necessarily have anything you like in your size, but you won't know it until you sift thru a bunch of clothes. But, Ross is very reasonably priced. I've also found things at Sears.

Like pugdog, I've found things at Ann Taylor Loft or Ann Taylor Factory Stores that fit currently, and from time to time I also buy things a size or two small so it will help give me an incentive to try to fit into it. Oh, and Casual Corner (esp. if you can find an outlet store) is worth a shot too.

HI I am a little bit shorter 5'1 &1/2, with no shape :badpc: ( cept a big belly LOL)
my secret weapon....... A button up shirt that is fitted, and straight leg dress pants. i dont know why it helps, but my fav fake look outift is that. the shirt is striped, with plum tones and that pants are plum . also Black...anything black :)
I stay away from jeans if i can help it... tend to make the backside more "there" , I dont know why.
PS i see alot of people like my favorite store- Kohls :) I dont buy petites (sp?)I have a hard time with my backside ( again) I get reg length and have them shortend. when pants fit the way they should, it does wonders :) :sunny:
Hope that helps!

Tina

Thanks so much for all the helpful posts. We do have a Ross but not a Kohl's (although they are online). I will check out the stores you mention. I just bought a cute fitted blouse but it's not striped. Mmm. I'll have to try that. I also like plums and blacks and also dark brown. I really want cute summer styles but need to shop for dresses and skorts I guess. I have some shorts but they look poufy a bit. OK for the back yard but not for out and about. I don't have any fitted jackets as I always just bought shortish ones and didn't look for taper like I will now.

Again, thanks to all of you. I appreciate your tips and ideas.
-Robin

On what not to wear--they suggest a fitted shirt that is scrunched at the abdomen (i.e. not pulled straight). It creates an illusion that you can't fill it up and you look thinner.

works for shirts that are fitted and go down to your butt.

I tried it--it works!

Lisa loves Pooh said:
On what not to wear--they suggest a fitted shirt that is scrunched at the abdomen (i.e. not pulled straight). It creates an illusion that you can't fill it up and you look thinner.

works for shirts that are fitted and go down to your butt.

I tried it--it works!

So just a regular fitted blouse that's longish and tucked in but not tucked far/tight?

Good straight leg pants and blouses that have seams down the side and down the middle of the fronts and back.(Also called a princess seam). It gives a great look. I bought some of these in Dec and have complements ever since. The seams make you look like you have an hourglass figure.

Thanks dona. I just bought a blouse like this and really like it. It feels "big" but hopefully looks ok. I'm used to the stretchy cottony stuff but I know from photos it doesn't look all that great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter