What to replace xbox 360 with?

snoopy5386

DIS Veteran
My kids have an xbox 360 that they use to play Lego Dimensions and Minecraft with and it died over the weekend. What should we replace it with? I was hoping to get till next Christmas to give the Nintendo Switch some time to come out and see if it is for us, but it seems that was not meant to be.

So what do we get? I know nothing about consoles. Again they use it for 2 games and that's it. Do I get another 360? It seems silly to get the same old technology, but it would be cheap and we have everything to use with it already. Do we get the Wii U for more family friendly games? Wait for the Switch (I don't even know if you can play dimensions on it)? Xbox 1? PS 4? Would love some help deciding from gamers. Will probably go for a used system for every option except the Switch.

It's all old technology. Wait for a Nintendo Switch or a Microsoft Scorpio. Otherwise, I'd advise an XBox One S. Playstation 4 is a nice console too, but I have large hands so the controllers don't really work for me (that and my brothers both complain about their PS4s).

If those are truly the only games they want to play, I would just get a used 360.

If you think as they get older they will want more advanced games (better graphics, faster refresh rates, higher resolutions) then I would upgrade to the One. There is always going to be a new game system on the horizon, if you always wait for it to come out, you'll end up with nothing.

If you have or are planning to get a newer tv, might be worth it to upgrade anyway. It's good to keep your equipment all roughly the same age or one of them will be holding you back because of resolutions supported, connection options, etc. We just had to upgrade our sound bar and get rid of our blue ray player because our new tv no longer had the inputs to match up with their outputs and vice versa (TV only had digital audio out and sound bar didn't have that in, blue ray player had component out and tv didn't have that in).

I have a 360, xb1 and PS4. And like others have said, considering you already have the games your kids play, I'd suggest going to Gamestop or some other reputable dealer that sells used consoles and pick up a used 360.

You won't be able to use the 360 versions of those particular games on the Xb1 anyway so you'd have to buy those games again. At least this way you can save a bit of money now, and start saving for whatever next gen console you want.

Another gamer here, ditto on re-buying the 360. If you are going to keep their games, you need the console to play them.

That being said, I have moved onto computer gaming. Buying those consoles are just too much. I want to get rid of "the history of gaming" in my basement however I am met with some opposition here. :jester:

My kids have an xbox 360 that they use to play Lego Dimensions and Minecraft with and it died over the weekend. What should we replace it with? I was hoping to get till next Christmas to give the Nintendo Switch some time to come out and see if it is for us, but it seems that was not meant to be.

So what do we get? I know nothing about consoles. Again they use it for 2 games and that's it. Do I get another 360? It seems silly to get the same old technology, but it would be cheap and we have everything to use with it already. Do we get the Wii U for more family friendly games? Wait for the Switch (I don't even know if you can play dimensions on it)? Xbox 1? PS 4? Would love some help deciding from gamers. Will probably go for a used system for every option except the Switch.

Right now, Lego Dimensions has not been announced for the Switch, though it will probably come at some point, I probably wouldn't get that one for now. There's only going to be a handful of games available when the Switch launches on 3/3. The game selection will be much better by the holidays.

Also, Switch preorders sold out at all retailers over the weekend (I preordered one), so unfortunately it will be hard to get a Switch even if you wanted one unless you want to camp out on 3/3 in front of your local store.

I agree with the others. Just for those two games, just get a used xBox 360. not much advantage to plunk down $300 for a new system and then another $100 to rebuy those games.

How old are the kids? Even though they're only playing those two games now, in the next year or so will the want other games that are only available for the newer consoles? Are they only playing those games because that's what you have? I'm not saying a used 360 isn't a good choice, I would just consider the answers to what I asked.

Last edited:
How old are the kids? Even though they're only playing those two games now, in the next year or so will the want other games that are only available for the newer consoles? Are they only playing those games because that's what you have? I'm not saying a used 350 isn't a good choice, I would just consider the answers to what I asked.

Well yea. More games and consoles, lol. I am torn between WiiU (to play Pikmin) and Playstation.

You can play Minecraft on a computer I do believe.

Legally you can't play every console game on a computer because of the gaming manufacturers. I really wish they would just let us play console gaming on a computer legally for all games. It seems as if people just download emulators (legally and illegally) and do it that way. I know they (manufacturers) make money on the consoles but they are just so limited as far as your gaming experience.

Worth a read imo if you don't know what an emulator is.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/best-emulators/

ETA....As a gamer person. I am just so irritated with the NUMBER of consoles you have to buy to get the latest game. ONLINE, they release an expansion and done.

Last edited:
Well yea. More games and consoles, lol. I am torn between WiiU (to play Pikmin) and Playstation.

You can play Minecraft on a computer I do believe.

Legally you can't play every console game on a computer because of the gaming manufacturers. I really wish they would just let us play console gaming on a computer legally for all games. It seems as if people just download emulators (legally and illegally) and do it that way. I know they make money on the consoles but they are just so limited.

Worth a read imo if you don't know what an emulator is.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/best-emulators/

That argument is like saying I really wish Apple and Andriod devices worked the same or that I wish Disney and Universal were the same park. Different gaming systems use different brain programing and are made by competing companies. It would make 0 sense to make a legal cross platform gaming system as Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft would all lose out at some point. Also what is capable of being processed by the hardware on an Xbox 1 is not the same as your standard non gaming computer. An out of the box personal computer isn't going to have the graphics capabilities of an Xbox 1 (especially not a 1 S).

OP if those are literally the only games they play then buy a refurbished Xbox 360. If they have had the system that long and have never showed interested in any other games then they aren't suddenly going to start playing more games if you put the money out for a newer system.

If they have had the system that long and have never showed interested in any other games then they aren't suddenly going to start playing more games if you put the money out for a newer system.
How would they show an interest in other games if they don't own them/can't play them?

Right now on Gamestop you can get a refurbished Xbox 360 for $60. I'd get that and then wait until Christmas to figure out what new console to get.
We have an Xbox 360 and then got an Xbox One because all my dses friends were playing on that. Then my older ds "needed" a PS4 because his friends were starting to play on that. My younger ds still uses the One because that is what his friends use.
I would at least have your kids find out what consoles their friends are using so that they can play with them.

How would they show an interest in other games if they don't own them/can't play them?

I meant on the 360 meaning if they have had an Xbox 360 long enough for it to be dead and still only play 2 games then they probably aren't suddenly going to want to play the other games that make it worth getting a new system. I also assume they know what is out there either through friends, commercials, or set ups at stores. If they have walked by all of that and never expressed interest in a game that is coming out or played it in the store and said wow I'd like to have that one then they aren't suddenly going to want new games. The One, PS4 and Wii U aren't very new so I'd imagine the OP would know if her kids wanted one of those by now even if they never asked for it directly.

If they have walked by all of that and never expressed interest in a game that is coming out or played it in the store and said wow I'd like to have that one then they aren't suddenly going to want new games. The One, PS4 and Wii U aren't very new so I'd imagine the OP would know if her kids wanted one of those by now even if they never asked for it directly.
Or it's possible OP has forgotten. We had (actually still have) a 360. Last year(?) when Star Wars Battlefront came out, DS said he wanted it. We looked and it was only good for XBOX One. He said "Darn, OK". He never said another word about it. We ended up getting him a One for his birthday and got him Battlefront for Christmas. He loves playing it. I think it's naive to say "They only play these two games, so that's all they want."

Just my opinion. I do like the idea of spending $60 for a used 360 and then revisit in December.

Or it's possible OP has forgotten. We had (actually still have) a 360. Last year(?) when Star Wars Battlefront came out, DS said he wanted it. We looked and it was only good for XBOX One. He said "Darn, OK". He never said another word about it. We ended up getting him a One for his birthday and got him Battlefront for Christmas. He loves playing it. I think it's naive to say "They only play these two games, so that's all they want."

Just my opinion. I do like the idea of spending $60 for a used 360 and then revisit in December.

That's true the OP could have forgotten but what I was saying is the opposite of your experience. Your son didn't ask for an Xbox One but saw an add (or played) Battlefront and said oh cool I want that and then said Darn OK when he found out it was for the One. So when you were looking for a gift you got the One and battlefield. Would you have done that if he saw the commercial for battlefield (or any other game) and never said a word about that game being cool or they would like to look into it? I went on face value of what the OP said and the fact they didn't add my kids really want this game and that game but one is on PS4 and one is on Xbox one so which one would be better. Now if the OP comes back and says they showed interest in other games we just didn't have the system they needed to play them or all their friends have an Xbox One and they want to play online with them then it would be completely different advice.

This is gonna be a bit out there, but has anyone considered a Steam Machine? Made by Alienware? Far smaller and quieter than a regular console, probably more games for it, equal or better graphics (IMO) and lovely controllers... the only downside is that it may cost a bit more. That bit is up to you depending on the specs you want.

31f-iq53YVL.jpg

Mind you, if you're a hardcore gamer, a dedicated games PC built to spec can't be beat. Just ask if you have any questions. Factors to consider include CPU type, number of cores, amount of RAM, GPU quality, number of and type of storage mediums and so on. And you can doll the PC up to your taste! AND when using an emulator you can play any old Dreamcast, Playstation, XBox, N64 etc. game at full speed using - when adapted - any controller you please :) Personally I like revisiting my old N64 games whilst using an XBox wireless controller (don't worry, I own the actual games so it's all legit) as it's all full speed AND the resolution has been increased, making it all prettier :)

p1mod_1920_blk_1.jpg

OP here! Kids are 6 & 10, girls if that matters. The 360 is actually their dad's but he never uses it any more. We do have a bunch more games and a Kinect with a few games for that and they never play any of the others nor have they ever asked for a different or better system. I got them minecraft for Christmas so they could play together - they have it on their tablets, the 10 yo is obsessed, but the 6 yo gets frustrated and so I thought they could play together and the older one could help the younger one. Realized today they haven't even taken it out of the package yet. So it's just Lego dimensions. But they are obsessed with it. We have a million characters.

One thing that has been very frustrating with the 360 has been getting it to update, we've had tons of trouble with trying to get an Xbox live account working properly. It has been extemely frustrating.

OP here! Kids are 6 & 10, girls if that matters. The 360 is actually their dad's but he never uses it any more. We do have a bunch more games and a Kinect with a few games for that and they never play any of the others nor have they ever asked for a different or better system. I got them minecraft for Christmas so they could play together - they have it on their tablets, the 10 yo is obsessed, but the 6 yo gets frustrated and so I thought they could play together and the older one could help the younger one. Realized today they haven't even taken it out of the package yet. So it's just Lego dimensions. But they are obsessed with it. We have a million characters.

One thing that has been very frustrating with the 360 has been getting it to update, we've had tons of trouble with trying to get an Xbox live account working properly. It has been extemely frustrating.

Yes, I think the refurbished XBox 360 is the way to go for sure if it's just that one game. It's only $60 at GameStop, and you will get another controller if that helps. The only potential issue is that I think the $60 version does not have a hard drive. If your current 360 has a hard drive, you can probably move it over to your new one, but I'm not sure what kind of skills that requires.

Gives you some time to decide whether the Switch is worth it for you or not. The Switch has the potential to be very popular with kids due to the fact that it's Nintendo, and it also has some unique controls that the other systems don't have (motion control, IR sensors, a special type of rumble in the controllers, etc.). It's too early to tell whether that will all pan out, so pretty much only Nintendo/Legend of Zelda fans are buying right now. Nintendo also has something called "Amiibo" which is similar to the dimensions figurines, except Nintendo characters (although their function is a little bit different). I think your original plan of looking at the Switch when the holidays come around is a good one.

Best Windows Emulators for MAC
Are you one among the users looking to run windows apps on MAC? Great, you can achieve this by installing any windows emulator on your Mac Book to use your favorite windows applications.
I'll vouch for this, to a point. I can run my PC games almost perfectly using an emulator at full speed.

My list of fun is:

Custom built PC
XBox One X (Scorpio)
Nintendo Switch
PS4

and of course there are retro games...

Dreamcast
N64
Gamecube
PS2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter