What to do....

Daniela Rose

Best. Day. Ever.
So my little ones Pre-k teacher is going to Disney in a few weeks. Here’s the backstory. They are a dvc family and she had a trip planned with her adult son (I think mid/late 30s) as a mother son trip. He passed away in June and now she’s going with her daughter. I know how bittersweet this trip will be so I want to do something for them. As a fellow disney lover I want to make it special too.

I know her son collected pins, so I bought her a Polynesian pin and a tree of life animal kingdom pin. It was his dream resort and theyre finally staying there this trip.

any other thoughts?

So my little ones Pre-k teacher is going to Disney in a few weeks. Here’s the backstory. They are a dvc family and she had a trip planned with her adult son (I think mid/late 30s) as a mother son trip. He passed away in June and now she’s going with her daughter. I know how bittersweet this trip will be so I want to do something for them. As a fellow disney lover I want to make it special too.

I know her son collected pins, so I bought her a Polynesian pin and a tree of life animal kingdom pin. It was his dream resort and theyre finally staying there this trip.

any other thoughts?
You know it is very difficult as in 06 I found out my daughter had passed in 05. and we had a trip planned to WDW. When we went I was still in shock and I walked the parks trying to keep an up beat additude for my husband so not to ruin it. I know for me buying something would not comfort me. But if you would like to do something for her maybe some sort of massgae from one of the resorts to help her relax a bit. It may help a bit and she maybe very grateful for it. I am sure for her at times going through the parks she will want to break down and cry wishing he was there. I hope this helps a little.

That’s what I was thinking 🤔 Pick up the tab for a spa day or a signature restaurant meal. Keep the pins.

I wouldn’t do a spa day or restaurant, I’m not a spa fan and only tolerate them if it’s a girls day with my friends, wouldn’t want to waste time at WDW doing something I could do at home. I think restaurant gc’s are fine for home, but I wouldn’t want to dictate where someone ate on vacation.

Unless this was someone I was very close to I'd leave matters as stands with the pins as a gift.

my little one has been in pre-K with her as her teacher for a month and a half. I just wanted to do something to let her know I was thinking of her and to acknowledge the nature of the trip. She sent a letter home to class today letting them know about the trip and why she would be missing a couple days of class.

she doesn’t strike me as a spa person for what it’s worth either.

OP, how thoughtful of you!

I think the pins are a wonderful gift since he did collect them. I personally would be hesitant to give up park time for the spa, especially if her daughter is there and they won't be together. I do like the idea of a gift card for a meal or other special treat as she sees fit.

my little one has been in pre-K with her as her teacher for a month and a half. I just wanted to do something to let her know I was thinking of her and to acknowledge the nature of the trip. She sent a letter home to class today letting them know about the trip and why she would be missing a couple days of class.

she doesn’t strike me as a spa person for what it’s worth either.
Did the teacher mention her son or just that she’s going on vacation? It actually strikes me as a little odd that she would, especially in a group letter to people she doesn’t know, but then again I wouldn’t criticize anything a bereaved parent does.

When people are grieving, especially such a profound loss as the death of a child, it’s impossible to know exactly what gesture would be the most meaningful to them unless you are very close. Forget trying to “nail it” - a simple expression of acknowledgment (little card with the pins or something similar) will express your compassion. I’d actually caution against something too personal if she’s never directly discussed her loss with you as some might find that to be a bit intrusive even if your heart is in the right place. ❤

My Mom has been grateful for every act of kindness someone has done for her since my sister passed away in her 30s.

The pins are a lovely keepsake that lets her know that you are thinking of her and wishing her well.

Since it is a teacher you have known for a short period of time, I think anything more than the pins and card would be over the top.

Stick with your initial idea, I am sure she will be very touched.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I gave the pins to her yesterday at drop off. I put them in gift boxes, each of my daughters gave her one. You could tell she was very touched. We didn’t make a big thing of it. gave her the pins and hugs.

We exchanged messages last night about something else and she told me to stay back at drop off today Bc she had a picture to show me that when we gave her the pins reminded her. At drop off today she gave me and my older daughter (the one who gave her the tree of life pin) an 8x10 envelope and told us to go look at it. It was a beautiful picture of her son standing in front of the tree of life.

last night when the xmas parade taping dates were released I messaged her bc theyre the same dates she’ll be there. She told me they picked those dates bc it was the one season her son never got to experience at disney was xmas season. So of course I went back online and bought her and her daughter xmas minnie ears. I couldn’t help myself. Just a little something to let them know I’m thinking of them. It’s personal.

regarding the questions. Yes she has told me personally about losing her son bc I had brought up losing my mom. She also did put it in the letter to the class.

i know nothing bought will ever fill that void and I know how hard this trip will be. The memories will hit her when shes there and the fact that this was supposed to be a mother son trip and he should be there with her is not lost on me. It’s all painful and I get that. I jus wanted to give whatever comfort I could. Thank you all again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter