What to do with original 1955 plate

ponymom2

Earning My Ears
I am looking for a reputable gallery or collector to appraise a plate. It is from opening year at Disneyland, it's a Main Street and even has the original price tag sticker for $2 on it, along with Emporium. I've tried internet searchs but all I can find is anniversary edition plates - nothing about originals.

Thanks in advance for any info you send my way!

Since this site won't let me post images or links until I have 10 post counts, the next few post mean nothing but to up my count....#3

platebottom.jpg

MainStreet.jpg

Is the plate 6" or 4"?

I have several Disneyland plates by Eleanore Welborn in my collection. Mine are all of Sleeping Beauty Castle or Tinker Bell and are 6" or larger. Most of them I bought on ebay.

Eleanore Welborn only had the Disney license for a couple of years so they are highly collectible. There is a blog I found on Google that explains about the company. I'll PM you the link.

There was a series of 4" plates one from each of the 5 original areas of the parks. Main Street, Adventureland, Fantasyland, Frontierland and Tomorrowland. If your plate is 4" it is most likely from that series. The 6" plates frequently had a ceramic lace type edging like ebay auction #350122733817. Links aren't allowed.....but you can find it by doing a search of ebay. Just put in the number.

There is a thread on the Disneyana forum on ebay where a Disneyana dealer/ebay seller answers questions about Disneyana items. You might have luck posinmg your question to him.

Hope that helps.

Kathie, thanks so much for all the wonderful information!!!! The plate is a 6" and I'll definitely be looking into as much as I can on it :)

I don't have any of the plates, but I do have some of the ashtrays. Just thought you might want to see what the art for the other lands looks like...

EW1.jpg

EW only held the license in 1955 and 1956 and they made two sizes of ashtrays, just like the plates... 4 and 6 inches. These trays are both the big ones!

EW3.jpg

Fantasyland and Frontierland are both 6 inches. The Steamboat (lower left) and the "Tink over the Castle" (lower right), are the smaller versions.

EW2.jpg

This is the Adventureland tray on the right, and a little better look at the Frontierland tray, both the 6 inch size. The "castle" at the bottom is probably one of the very first sold in the park.

hi Kath! got snow?

flyinglizard - those pictures are wonderful!!! I especially love the Fantasyland large ashtray, and wow, those ashtrays are huge! That is so neat that you have all those. How long did it take you to collect that many?

I am fascinated by the whole EW production of all these pieces, but can only find the info that Kathie sent me. You would think there would be market for her items, or more details on her. I'm so glad I found this board, you've all been so kind and helpful :)

ponymom2- It took a lot of years to finds all those ashtrays. Most were found at the NFFC Show & Sale each year at the annual conventions, and that goes back to the late 80's and 90's.

To answer your original question about the value of your plate:

I have not been an active Disneyana collector for many years. I have not kept up with eBay values but I do know they went south before the economy crashed. If I were forced to put a monetary value on the plate, I certainly would not part with it for anything less than $100-125. It would not surprise me if a serious collector offered you $150 or more. The price sticker on the back adds to the provenance and the value. That having said, if you put the plate on eBay right now, I don't think it would get quite that much. My advice for right now would be keep it, admire it and keep it safe.

I agree with Dave. (Hi Dave!!! :wave: ) I'd hang onto it for a bit.

I have been collecting EW since 1997. I have a few of the ashtrays pictured. Not nearly as many as in Dave's collection, since my main focus is Tinker Bell.

I do have several cups and saucers, plates and S&P shakers. In the past there was a lot of competition on ebay for EW items. Money was no object for one bidder in particular so the pieces went very high. Now that that bidder has acquired quite a bit in her collection, the pieces don't command as much.

I'll try to post some pictures of my collection.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter