What to do with ECV at restaurants and attractions

jante

Earning My Ears
This will be my first time renting an ECV. I have cancer and tire easily if walking more than a block or so. But I can walk. So what do I do with the ECV when I go to a restaurant? Do I leave it outside with the strollers? What about the rides? Any advice would be appreciated. I’m already self conscious about having to use one, so would like to know ahead of time what the protocol is. Thanks for your help!

I travel with my Mom and an ECV. It mostly depends on you. For rides, we do tend to bring the ECV through the lines (except the few that you have to transfer to a wheelchair such as Pooh and Pirates). There will be wheelchairs in the parking area if you need to transfer. For restaurants, you will be asked if you need to bring it to the table or if you can walk in. If you can walk in, just park it by the strollers and walk to the table. If you want to ride it to the table, you can and then the restaurant will take it and move it out of the way.

Good luck with both your trip and your treatment.

This will be my first time renting an ECV. I have cancer and tire easily if walking more than a block or so. But I can walk. So what do I do with the ECV when I go to a restaurant? Do I leave it outside with the strollers? What about the rides? Any advice would be appreciated. I’m already self conscious about having to use one, so would like to know ahead of time what the protocol is. Thanks for your help!
i would take ECV with you in lines esp if rain in area as most lines will keep you dry but stroller parking which is where you leave ECV most times is uncovered. when you get to boarding CMs will tell you how it works at that ride. when you get to restaurant ask the CM how it works there and they will tell you. there is no one protocol that works in all cases. all CMs see so many ECVs that they will be ready to help you, you just need to ask. I say this all the time when someone says self conscious would you be self conscious wearing glasses because you need them to see? of course not but what is the difference when you need help walking? Go have a great trip and do what you need to help you. if you haven't look at offsite rental I would do that because it can be a long walk to any transportation not just buses. plus most resorts are big enough that you can use one there. hope this helps and have a great trip

I agree with all the above. If you are traveling with another adult, they could also "valet" it for you - you can drive it up to a seat at the restaurant waiting area and get out while they park it somewhere nearby (usually near the stroller parking for the restaurant). This would work for table service places.

For quick service - could be that you'd want to stay in it if the lines are very long - but if it is that crowded it will also probably be very tricky to maneuver a scooter inside the quick service restaurant. Some are easier than others I'd think (like the QS place in the AK Avatar area - maybe Pecos Bills in the MK or Cosmic Rays would be ok too). Some place like Pinocchio Haus in the MK would be tough I'd think (that place can be a zoo). Perhaps talk to a CM at the location if it's QS and you want to stay in - or perhaps you can go to the table and wait there while someone orders and brings your food if you are traveling with others. I've taken the scooter into Starbucks to get coffee cause the line was long and had no problem there - but I've not tried to stay in it at QS places otherwise.

I agree with KPeterso, Betty Rohrer, and Selket.

When I used my mobility scooter, I would park outside the restaurant and used my walking cane or walker to get to the table. But I traveled by myself. A couple of times, the cast member let me drive to my table and they parked it for me and brought it back to me after my meal.

For the rides even if you have a FP I would still take the ECV with you to the ride and some lines are very long even the FP ( TSM sorin and space Mountain are a few that come to mind)

For restaurants I would always park it outside. I also find it easier to go in shops without it. For rides, I would generally park it but for those with long queues I would bring it. Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Toy Story Mania, and Kilimanjaro Safari all have really long queues. I can’t ride most of the thrill rides but I think some of them have long queues as well.

It's been my experience that the greeter CM at a restaurant or attraction will tell you the best/nearest place to park an ECV if it's not obvious.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter