What to do on a rainy day in Orlando?

kristieboyd

Mouseketeer
We are leaving tomorrow for a 7 night stay at Bonnet Creek. We're getting the military 4 day park-hopper passes, so that leaves 2 full days in Orlando to do something else. We'd planned on Sea World on Tues and the a break/hotel day Wed, but the forecast is calling for t-storms both days. DH & I aren't sure we want to spend the extra $300 on Sea World tickets to walk around in the rain/t-storms.

Are there any other good places to go on a rainy day? We'll have 4 adults & 5 kids (ages 15, 9, 5, 4, & 2)

Thanks!

Going into a theme park on a rainy day can work well, the crowds are lighter. however, I don'tknow about Seaworld, with all that water--they might have to close. Seaworld also offers a "second day free" pass. I don't know if you're getting a military discount, and if you coudl still do that, but you could consider two partial days at Seaworld, working around the thunderstorms.

You also might want to check Bonnet Creek's website, see what kind of daily activities they might have for a rainy day. Indoor pool? Movie theater? Game room? Or you could rent/bring a couple DVDs and have a chill-out day.

The older kids would probably love DisneyQuest, although it can get pretty busy on a rain day. Maybe take the younger ones next door to big (AMC?) theater. There are usually some good "G" rated movies playing.

Magic Kingdom is also pretty good on a rainy day. Many attractions have covered queuing areas, and the crowds are often much smaller. This can actually be good with the little ones because you don't try their patience as much with the long waits.

You can take in a couple of the indoor attractions along I-Drive as well, but again they fill up quickly on rainy days.

Has anyone ever been to the Florida Aquarium? It's in Tampa about an hour or so away, but we'll have a car and we get 50% off admission thanks to our local zoo membership. From what I read, it seems like a pretty good aquarium.

Has anyone ever been to the Florida Aquarium? It's in Tampa about an hour or so away, but we'll have a car and we get 50% off admission thanks to our local zoo membership. From what I read, it seems like a pretty good aquarium.

Yes, it is a very good aquarium and worth a visit. Start at the top level and wind your way down. Combine it with a meal at Ybor City.

I second the Disney Quest idea. The older kids will absolutely love it! It does get crowded on a rainy day, but it's still a lot of fun.

To reiterate an earlier post - going to the parks in the rain can be fun. Went with my daughter's high school show choir. On her senior memory board, best memory: "Dancing in the rain in Downtown Disney". Had a blast that night (in the rain) and the next day at DW.

I would do EPCOT and MGM on a rainy day(s).....almost every attraction is indoors....less people....put on your ponchos and have fun! Save the nice days to enjoy the pool at Bonnet Creek.

:banana:

I have to say go to the park too, it is worth being a little soggy for small crowds. Especially if you are staying at Wyndham Bonnet Creek, you will have a washer and dryer to clean your wet clothes.

Outlet Malls
Orlando Science Center
Disney Quest will be crazy, I would avoid it.

A nice lunch away from the theme park crowds. There are many great restaurants in Orlando. Our favorite, Thai, Chinese and Indian restaurants of all time are in Orlando. None of them are crazy with crowds. Only the Thai restaurant is in a tourist area Thai Thani.

Try Wonderworks. The place is a lot of fun.

And there are 3 outlet malls to choose from. My wife likes the Lake Buena vista mall on 535 the best.

I took my kids to Wonderworks this past trip, and they loved it! My DD spent so long on the ropes course! Of course, we spent extra on the games, but their snacks were cheap (got hot dogs and sodas). We were actually going there to avoid the sun, as we had Discovery Cove booked later that week, and knew we'd be in the sun too much even with sunscreen.

If you're active military, did you look at the free ticket deal for Sea World? Honestly, I am not sure either if it's worth buying a ticket for one day, when you're already doing Disney, but if you can get the free military ticket, I'd do that.

I also agree - if it's raining, don't let that stop you from going out. Epcot also has lots of covered areas.

I would do any park in the rain. Makes the crowds lighter:) We were in MK a few yrs ago. It started to down pour and we were on Main St. We ended up going into the shops all along there. Out of all the yrs I have been there I have never seen the glass blowing. My kids loved it. We ended up in that store for a good 45 minutes looking at the glass and watching it being made. The kids loved it. I also second Disney Quest- but may be very crowded. What about La Nouba in the PM?

Oh, and as for the extra days. Honestly, I would add Disney Park tickets to your 4 day. I would extended it. There is SOOO much to do and just not enough time to do it.

We just spent a very rainy day in the MK. My ds was supposed to march with his band that day but it got cancelled at 7 pm due to all the rain.

Yes we were wet but there were no lines. A cm told us that the day before the lines for SM and BTMRR were 2 hours...we waited 2 minutes. Really, 2 minutes.

Buy your ponchos at the Dollar Store, 2 for $1, get a small umbrella and go.

A few days later we went to IOA in the rain and enjoyed WWoHP with only a handful of other people. The best day ever....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!