What to do in Grand Cayman?

g3pak

DIS Veteran
I hear that Grand Cayman will be the most beautiful beach I will have ever seen. That said, my wife and I aren't the type to just sit in a beach chair all day. So, what do you suggest for us?

We are both 40 going on our first cruise without our kids. We aren't interested in swimming with the dolphins, sting rays, or visiting the turtle farm. We would love to enjoy the beach and water and would probably be completely happy visiting 7 Mile Beach for all of our shore time. I just wonder if there is an excursion that gives us something to do while enjoying the beach and/ or water and not missing out on what everyone goes on and on about.

I wonder about the Aquaboat and Snorkel adventure. If the boats run at the speed of a glorified trolling motor then we can skip it, but if they actually allow wind to blow through our hair, then I may be interested.

Ok, friends, give me all of your opinions. I am most grateful!

I should add....we would be fine going to the beach and maybe doing a little shopping if time. We don't have to do an excursion.

We really loved our trip to Rum Point beach. The catamaran boat ride out was fun, yummy lunch on the beach, and a very relaxing and casual day.

I hear that Grand Cayman will be the most beautiful beach I will have ever seen. That said, my wife and I aren't the type to just sit in a beach chair all day. So, what do you suggest for us?

We are both 40 going on our first cruise without our kids. We aren't interested in swimming with the dolphins, sting rays, or visiting the turtle farm. We would love to enjoy the beach and water and would probably be completely happy visiting 7 Mile Beach for all of our shore time. I just wonder if there is an excursion that gives us something to do while enjoying the beach and/ or water and not missing out on what everyone goes on and on about.

I wonder about the Aquaboat and Snorkel adventure. If the boats run at the speed of a glorified trolling motor then we can skip it, but if they actually allow wind to blow through our hair, then I may be interested.

We took a city bus to a Public Beach on 7 Mile Beach and had a great day. We hung out at the Surfside Bar & Restaurant at the beach. They rented chairs and umbrellas and we bought some food and drink there. It is right next to the Tiki Beach Club.

The city bus (it is the size of a van) is a better deal than a taxi. It is 1/2 the price and a taxi will wait to fill up until it heads out.

Mike

We had a great time in march on the aqua boat and snorkel! We had the boats at full speed and were whipping in the waves ( ok if we flipped it would have been bad), but think jet ski seas in little boat format!

The men doing the tour were nice young men, not pushy, and the snorkling was really beautiful.

We didnt bring our camera, but could have... Should have! We all burnt bad this day (the getting in and put of the water) so bring your sunscreen!

g3pak said:
I should add....we would be fine going to the beach and maybe doing a little shopping if time. We don't have to do an excursion.

We did an amazing snorkel on stingray sandbar. Its different from what I saw at CC. They are big giant 5 ft ones, some smaller, and its naturally waist deep water, and this same family started coming around when the fishers would clean their fish. So they are all natural, not captive or anything. We went on a brand new boat that let a staircase down into the water which was perfect for my mom with limited mobility. The tour group had handlers to get them for us for photo ops. There were big fish there too. It was really unusual. Like a boat ride to no where , then three boats show up and its like a big party in the middle of this sandbar and right away you could see big dark rays swimming everywhere. Like I said, these ones are completely in the wild. They don't have to come around if they don't want to, but its easy lunch for them! We didn't feed them by hand so no problems with the chompchomps I heard about at CC. After that, we could choose to take the bus back to the ship (mom n dad did) or our wristband from the excursion included spending the rest of the day at Royal Palms so my Twinkie n honey n I did that. We still talk about their poolside lunch! Twinkie n I snorkeled too. Then it was $4 to take the van back to the ship dock. We still had time to buy some nice local items too. It was a great day. Wish I could remember the name of the company, seems like their logo had a frog or turtle or something. You would know the big modern yellow catamaran that is new. I haven't seen one like that...

We did the semi submersible sub. It was very cool. We're not into snorkeling but loved getting to see under the water. We saw a ship wreck, stingrays, sea turtles, eels, octopus. Plus it's short so you still have time to head to the beach.

When we were on DCL on a western cruise a few years ago we went to a wonderful glass blowing shop. My daughter still wears the ring we bought there.

We were there last week and took the public bus to Sea Grape Beach. We thoroughly enjoyed it. We did not know this when we got off but we were near Calico Jack's, just down the beach 50 yards or so. The area around the bar is crowded but where we were was great and we walked to bar to get a drink.

I have read chairs there were $8 but we got ours for $5 and I liked our chairs better. The water was crystal clear, I dropped a gold hoop earring and was actually able to get it! It was easy to get in and out of the water, not too many rocks or coral or too steep an incline.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter