What to buy for a disney suprise on the plane trip?

mckinley

DIS Veteran
I have been trying to think of some sorta disney suprise to get for my daughter for the plane ride down. She has never flown before & tends to get terrified very easy. She might suprise us & it not bother her at all, but i am expecting the worst. So i thought that i could find something to help get her excited about disney to make it easier. Any ideas?

How old is she? I was thinking something along the lines of art project/coloring etc. since this takes time and could distract her. My DD picked out this really cool reusable sticker book at WDW last trip that had background of all the parks in it. It kept her busy for hours the first time she played with it. You can call and order things from DW and have them sent to you. I don't remember the number now though. If you want to go expensive, you could get a portable DVD player and let her watch Disney movies.

We just got back from Disney. Dumbo was released the day before we left, so we surprised my DD6 by getting the movie for her to watch on our portable DVD player. It made the flight go a little smoother for her. I also packed 2 additional Disney movies for the flight home so that I could get some much needed shut-eye while she watched her DVDs!

I am going to buy my 4 year old DD a new my little pony and some color wonder disney coloring books. We are planning on doing the activity at MK where you fill a box with Pony accessories and she really loves stuff like that.

I am a BIG fan of giving kiddies the WDW Birnbaum for Kids. If they can read they can read about what they will see/do or choose things that they like. If they can't Parent(s)/Child can read together or the child can look at the pictures!

For my DN/DN I make up a goodie surprise bag for the plane trip (ok I do this for BF too!). I put comfort things snacks (treats,juice boxes,gum), magazines/books,coloring pages (pick ones of characters she may see she can give to them or have the character sign it!) and crayons (sm 8 box will do),nephew brought ganeboy (PAPA put a new game in for him),niece got a new Polly Pocket (get one where pcs can stay in a case or use a ziploc).

Just a few ideas~

I read on these boards about this magnetic toy for kids from WalMart. It is a small tin that has magnetic pieces that you can put in it. I found it in the toy section by the play dough and magna doodles. It was $5.97. I bought DS the space adventure one and DD the dress up animals one. It looks cute!! :thumbsup2 Also the origional poster for this toy said NOT to tear out the magnetic pieces before the trip. It took her child an hour just to tear out the pieces....it is not a "disney" toy, but it looks like something little kids would love to mess with!

My first plane ride was when I was 8. I was (and still am) easily terrified...I have always feared the worse would happen and before the plane ride, I was not only afriad the plane would crash, but also worried that if we did make it down there, we'd be hit by a tornado. :rolleyes: lol.

Anyway, I had things like stuffed animals and teddies as well as items that my grandparents had given me like...notepads to write and draw in, makers, a deck of cards, snacks, activity books and the Walt Disney World Birnbaum for Kids lol.

The thing is, I got on that plane and found it to be VERY fun! I simply loved it and enjoyed looking out the window and observing how small everything looked. I didn't even use any of the things I brought because I was too engrossed in the flight...it WAS my first plan ride... ;)

On the trip back, I did use the things I brought simply because I was bored lol, not because I was afraid.

I guess what I am trying to say here is you never quite know what to expect, your daughter might find it to be the best thing in the world!!

Now, years later, I am terrified of flying (but I have done it over 30 times lol).

Also, I remember I loved doing things with my parents. I loved playing cards with my dad and drawing with my mom.

I would suggest, for a gift, anything that gets her imagination flowing! You want her to think of everything else that isn't flying (if she is afraid). Maybe a book where she writes or draws a sort of trip "report". It is always fun for little kids to draw or write what he or she is doing, did do and hopes to do, especially for a first trip; especially if you are going to WDW (wherever you're going, she will most likely be very excited and a good way to release that excitement is through creativity and imagination!

Observe what she likes doing when she is bored...such as in a waiting room or anywhere that requires her to sit still and be on good behavior. By noticing what she finds interest in during these times will be a good clue as to what she may enjoy doing on a plane so a # amount of hours!

:thumbsup2

The Hidden Mickeys book might be fun for her (and you too!) :) You can read the book and then put your new knowledge to work when you get to the parks!

I picked up a Mini-Magnadoodle at the dollar store (Dollarama, baby!) so that we can play Win, Lose or Draw on the plane. We also play 'Alpha-Disney' by going around and naming a Disney character for each letter of the alphabet.

I am also making up treat-bags for the kids... all goodies from my darling Dollarama...

Disney pencil cases with 12 pack of markers, glow bracelets (for the fireworks), battery-operated glowstick necklaces, huge whack of Disney stickers and a sticker book, rain ponchos, Disney lipbalm, deck of cards, bubble wand and mix, fanny packs with waterbottles, Disney fake tattoos, Mickey notebooks, Mickey pens, Disney socks and lots of other things I can't remember...

Have a good time!! :flower3:

The other thing that I took for my DD6 was the Disney Guess Who? game. We didn't actually use it on the plane. But, while waiting in the terminal she & I played a quick game. Then, another little girl came over & asked if she could play too. It gave my DD a chance to meet a new friend and kept them both entertained for quite awhile.

I have seen a cute Disney Princesses travel desk that comes with a coloring pad, markers, crayons, and has a little area to keep them all.

Here is my plan for my DS6 and DD8. I bought them each a fanny pack that holds a water bottle. A red Mickey one for him and a pink Minnie one for her. In the fanny packs I will put the following items and talk about how they can use them at WDW: autograph book and retractable Sharpie (I'll tell them all about how they can "hunt" for characters and collect autographs), penlight (that they can use on dark rides), roll of pennies and quarters (I'll tell them how they can make souvenir pennies at the machines throughout the parks then buy a coin book to put them all in), and $10 in Disney dollars (I'll tell them about buying the passport book in Epcot). That probably won't keep them busy for that long but I think it will be fun and will give them even more to look forward to.

In the days before we leave, I'll have them each pack their own backpack with new and old stuff to keep them entertained: books, MadLibs, coloring books and new crayons and colored pencils (the new twist-up ones, they're awesome).

We leave for WDW CR in 16 days!!!

I also like to pack things for myself and DF when we travel. I always like to pack magaizes or lightweight paperbacks then I can toss them when I get to the destination and then I have more room in my luggage for souvenirs on the way home.
When I was a kid we did many road trips and my mom would pack us all sorts of little goodies. She would also pack for us some disposible cameras and then we would take pictures of our trips and we would make scrapbooks when we got back.
Kids are very aware of your feelings and attitudes if she is pumped up for plane ride and it is treated as adventure then she will have a great time.

mckinley said:
were can i find the hidden mickeys book

I just bought one today at Waldenbooks at the mall, but I've also seen it at Borders, Barnes & Noble and online at Amazon.com!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!