What time to leave DL/DCA for flight out of SNA?

Lm3js

Mouseketeer
I tried searching first but could not find matching thread/info. I have a flight out of SNA on a Monday at 9pm at night. What time should I plan to catch an Uber/Lyft near DL/DCA to get to the airport/through security etc. Assume no checked bags, TSA Pre and enough time to get an adult beverage and/or snack before boarding?

Thanks in advance - trying to maximize a quick trip!

We have an 8:30pm flight and will be leaving the parks at 6:30 to get to hotel and grab our bags and get in an Uber.

We have an 8:30pm flight and will be leaving the parks at 6:30 to get to hotel and grab our bags and get in an Uber.

Is that on a weekend? I'd be concerned about rush hour. We depart at 7 pm on Thursday. Cab driver suggested leaving hotel (not parks) by 4:45.

When I have caught flights out of SNA at 9pm, I have left the parks at about six to collect luggage and head to the airport. That seems to work well for us.

7pm to make the flight, 6:30 to have a drink. That's wheels up in the car, not leaving the park to request the ride.

I just did this Monday after a dinner with friends at the GCH. Called Uber at 7:50p, uber arrived GCH 7:55p, was at SNA arrivals 8:15p, it was a ghost town and was bag checked by 8:18p, pre check line was closed (they give you the keep the shoes on card) but was still through security in 5 min and was seated at the gate by 8:25 waiting for a 8:50 boarding of a 9:20p flight.

...But I was traveling solo after leaving some friends at the park and am a seasoned traveler.

Two hours would be PLENTY of time if you want some food and buffer time.

Is that on a weekend? I'd be concerned about rush hour. We depart at 7 pm on Thursday. Cab driver suggested leaving hotel (not parks) by 4:45.
Yes it is a Saturday but even a weekday we'd do the same. We've left several times on weekdays and have never had any problems. Several years ago we asked a cabbie what time to leave and were told probably what you were and we sat at the airport for a good 2 hours.

I agree with the above, two hours is fine. You will encounter some traffic, but you are essentially going against traffic for most of the trip to SNA. My wife and I sat for over an hour before boarding on a Thursday evening earlier in the month and returned a rental car. Obviously a bad wreck changes everything... Ride services don't want to get blamed if you are late for any reason so they give really safe departures.

Even leaving 2 hours before your flight you can go to Vino Volo and have a glass of wine and a nice cheese plate or other items elsewhere :)
Mike

I agree with the above, two hours is fine. You will encounter some traffic, but you are essentially going against traffic for most of the trip to SNA. My wife and I sat for over an hour before boarding on a Thursday evening earlier in the month and returned a rental car. Obviously a bad wreck changes everything... Ride services don't want to get blamed if you are late for any reason so they give really safe departures.

Even leaving 2 hours before your flight you can go to Vino Volo and have a glass of wine and a nice cheese plate or other items elsewhere :)
Mike

I didn't realize we'd be going against rush hour traffic. That lessens my concern. Great info. Thanks.

Thanks so much everyone! Yes, solo, seasoned traveler and flying southwest to SFO. Sounds like if I plan to be in the uber/lyft at 6:30-6:45 pm, that should be good including usual traffic. I am hoping that my bag will fit in Disney locker so I don't have to return to hotel. If I'm there by rope drop, I'll still have a pretty decent day. I'll just have to tear myself out of the parks on time!!

Our trip to the airport will be in the am, so I'm guessing we will get stuck in rush hour traffic.
Any suggestions on time to leave DL area hotel for 10am flight?

I always ask the bellhop at the hotel for their advice on when to leave. I let them know flight details and day/time and they have always given good advice. Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter