What should we do now about Coronavirus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PRINCESS Sweet Pea

Mouseketeer
Oh my. I have been watching Italy to see what is happening. They have been shut down for weeks and the number of people getting sick and deaths are up again today. The more I see that we are learning about this virus it makes me more scared. I think China knew what it would take to stop it. And now it is just getting worse as it is going right now. I am thinking we should have taken major steps and that big program of spaying. I am hoping and praying that a vaccine will work well, and will be available sooner than later.

The good news is that spring is coming! Nice weather really does my heart good!

Here are my most recent random thoughts on this virus, and granted I've had too much time to think about "stuff"...

I'm not enough of a conspiracy theorist to believe this virus was concocted in a lab, BUT what an effective bioweapon this would have been! It brought the world to its knees! If I was a nation-state leader, I would have to consider this as something new for the arsenal and/or something I sure as heck better learn to defend against. Now consider non-state actors. They could blackmail the world with a threat to release 100 anonymous carriers, or, if their intentions are ideological instead of financial, they could just do it without warning. Scary.

Oh my. I have been watching Italy to see what is happening. They have been shut down for weeks and the number of people getting sick and deaths are up again today. The more I see that we are learning about this virus it makes me more scared. I think China knew what it would take to stop it. And now it is just getting worse as it is going right now. I am thinking we should have taken major steps and that big program of spaying. I am hoping and praying that a vaccine will work well, and will be available sooner than later.

The good news is that spring is coming! Nice weather really does my heart good!

Not sure what you meant about spaying, but it gave me a chuckle!

I think the consensus from most thinking-type people is that we should have come down on this hard weeks ago. We have done something, at least, for the past 2 weeks so I believe that has kept this better than it would have been.

Sorry! That typo was too awful and too funny at the same time. I had wondered about seeing video of the Chinese totally spraying everything. Even concrete and pavement. I didn’t know if it was all a show. And now aren’t they saying that this virus can actually live for weeks. I think we need to do more.

Sorry! That typo was too awful and too funny at the same time. I had wondered about seeing video of the Chinese totally spraying everything. Even concrete and pavement. I didn’t know if it was all a show. And now aren’t they saying that this virus can actually live for weeks. I think we need to do more.
What more can we do? We're already stuck at home for who knows how long with nothing to do and nowhere to go. I'm watching my older brother slide into depression over being isolated from his friends at the senior center. He told me today that he'd rather be dead than live like this for months. And I know he can't be the only one. I am really afraid of what this is doing to people's mental health.

I'm watching my older brother slide into depression over being isolated from his friends at the senior center. He told me today that he'd rather be dead than live like this for months. And I know he can't be the only one. I am really afraid of what this is doing to people's mental health.

Does he not understand how to use Facetime, Skype, Zoom, or even just a regular old phone?
My kids are on Facetime with their friends for hours a day. Literally. They think it is better than school.
If he is missing his friends, he should Facetime them and see them.

My church is doing virtual coffee hour after the virtual service, so people can just hang out and talk to each other. They can't be the only group doing something like this. Have your brother start an online meetup for his group.

There are also tons of people out walking. I have noticed a few people sitting in lawn chairs in their driveway (more than 6' from the street) who will strike up conversations with the people out walking.

I'm more of an introvert, so it isn't really bothering me. Between my kids and a few phone calls, I get enough interaction.

Does he not understand how to use Facetime, Skype, Zoom, or even just a regular old phone?
My kids are on Facetime with their friends for hours a day. Literally. They think it is better than school.

My church is doing virtual coffee hour after the virtual service, so people can just hang out and talk to each other. They can't be the only group doing something like this. Have your brother start an online meetup for his group.

There are also tons of people out walking. I have noticed a few people sitting in lawn chairs in their driveway (more than 6' from the street) who will strike up conversations with the people out walking.

I'm more of an introvert, so it isn't really bothering me. Between my kids and a few phone calls, I get enough interaction.

Yeah, you don't get it. My mental health was in the toilet 5 years ago when I was staying home. Suicidally. Getting a job probably did more for my mental health than anything else. Yes, I am calling people. Yes, i have Zoom meetings. But the lack of being able to leave the house, the lack of hugging people, and then the scary fact of this virus. It is messing with TONS of people that way. Then we have abusive homes... that is another problem.

Good for you that some phone calls are enough for you. Yes, he talks to his friends on the phone and takes walks. It's not the same and I can't even give him the comfort of an end date for this madness because no one knows.

No thanks. We are pretty much already out of icu beds here & that’s with current measures.

I saw that they're preparing the convention center for over flow patients.

Our son lives nearby and has a lot of medical personnel in his apartment complex.

It's getting real. Fast.

We lost a great Aunt in the Katrina hospital debacle in New Orleans. I can't imagine what might be next with this.

I saw that they're preparing the convention center for over flow patients.

Our son lives nearby and has a lot of medical personnel in his apartment complex.

It's getting real. Fast.
Yes my neighbors are both healthcare workers at 2 different local hospitals, my sister an ER nurse at the VA, best friend ER dr at another hospital & my sister’s friend ICU nurse at yet another hospital. All hospitals are near capacity on icu beds. They all have make shift cold storage for the bodies b/c the hospital morgues are full. They’re all working around the clock except my sister’s friend who has symptoms as of today & is quarantined now. Most likely Covid according to what they saw on her chest X-ray. Our death rate here is almost 4.5%. They’re saying ppl are coding all day long & if they’re positive they’re automatically DNRs. These ppp are dying alone b/c no family can be there. It’s heartbreaking & terrifying especially we I have my sister out there in it. It’s taking a toll on their mental health too. So the “bandaid” is off here.

Yes my neighbors are both healthcare workers at 2 different local hospitals, my sister an ER nurse at the VA, best friend ER dr at another hospital & my sister’s friend ICU nurse at yet another hospital. All hospitals are near capacity on icu beds. They all have make shift cold storage for the bodies b/c the hospital morgues are full. They’re all working around the clock except my sister’s friend who has symptoms as of today & is quarantined now. Most likely Covid according to what they saw on her chest X-ray. Our death rate here is almost 4.5%. They’re saying ppl are coding all day long & if they’re positive they’re automatically DNRs. These ppp are dying alone b/c no family can be there. It’s heartbreaking & terrifying especially we I have my sister out there in it. It’s taking a toll on their mental health too. So the “bandaid” is off here.

That is terrifying and the worst is that no family can be with them. And we are not to the peak.

Our niece is a nurse at East Jefferson.

Very scary times. People need to heed the lockdowns and stay home.

Blanket DNRs?

I think we know what we need to do. The frustration is that we're helpless to make that happen, and being told to sit home and wait is little comfort.

There are a handful of countries that are successfully managing the virus. They're all doing the exact opposite of what we're doing - they're testing everyone, isolating those who are positive, using contact tracing to identify others who may have been exposed so they can in turn be tested and isolated. They're not just telling everyone to stay home for an indefinite period of time and putting all their hopes on that as a containment strategy. But we don't have the testing capacity to do that. We don't have the human resources to do that. And we don't have the political will to rally the resources it would take to get it done. So all we can do is mimic actions that we already know have been ineffective in Italy and show every sign of being ineffective in other Western nations, and hope that somehow they have a different outcome here (and when it doesn't, we'll all turn to social media to blame one another rather than talking about the fact that Italy is weeks ahead of us in proving lockdown to be an ineffective strategy).

On the bright side, ineffective containment will probably speed our time until herd immunity... however, since we're not testing for either current infection except in the most serious cases or for immunity, we won't even know when that immunity starts to become widespread enough to slow the spread naturally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!