What Really Sells at Yard Sales?

scanne

<font color=blue>OK, I must have really small ears
We are planning to have a big yard sale some time in September/October. What kinds of things really sell? We have tons of toys that our kids don't play with anymore. I also have a lot of clothes for both boys and girls from newborn to 4T.

I have a major collection of Barbie Dolls - never removed from their boxes that I would love to sell.

DH has toys/collectibles.

We have a sofa and loveseat - but maybe that should go in the newspaper?

I have serving dishes I don't use.

So any thoughts? Suggestions? Best way to go about having a yard sale? Thank you!

I'd say forgo the yard sale and sell it on Ebay. You'll make more money that way, esp with the collectibles.

TOV

I'm not big into yard sales, but friends are. Your whole list sounds great EXCEPT those Barbies. You should sell those Barbies on ebay or to a collector, older ones are really some moola. You should "google" Barbies and see what people are paying for those.

People will buy anything!

I had my first sale in the spring and made $600 for selling all the baby stuff and kids clothes, plus a few household items. It was a neighborhood wide sale and people were sprinting from house to house. It was crazy. I have enough of my own junk that I don't need anybody elses. :goodvibes

As for the Barbies I would try Ebay first. You would probably make more money. I have a ton I'd like to get rid of, too.

I agree with the OP and sell the collectables on Ebay. We've had a few yard sales and the things that sell are clothes and baby stuff. I sold my button down dress shirts and ties. I had 10 shirts and 10 ties and the only reason that I put them out is b/c a neighbor told me too. I did and he was right. The baby stuff went to Grandparents who wanted some things for their homes.

For the most part I thought that our yard sales were a failure. We really only sold the things that I mentioned. When moved last year we gave sizeable donations to the Vietnam Vetrans. They come to your house and pick up everything. They take just about everything, car seats, cribs and clothes. It can't be any easier than that and it's going to help somebody that really needs the help. :thumbsup2

You would be surprised at how well furniture sells at yard sales, especially if it is in good condition, and clean.

Clothes that have been washed, ironed and on a hanger sell better than clothes that are folded on a table.

Clean any toys and put them in a plastic gallon size ziploc bag and you will get a better price. Any small pieces put in smaller snack size baggies.

If you don't want to go the ebay route you could try an ebay store or a cnsignment doll shop for the Barbies.

I had a TON of clothes to sell & I priced it very reasonably, because I really just wanted to get rid of it. It kind of surprised me at what clothes went & what didn't. I had a lot of beautiful, brand name things, but the play clothes that were in poorer condition actually sold faster.

I hung up a clothesline in my garage & put everything I could on a hanger - that way people could easily go through them & I wouldn't need to be constantly straightening things up.

TheOtherVillainess said:
I'd say forgo the yard sale and sell it on Ebay. You'll make more money that way, esp with the collectibles.

TOV

2nd this.

I would put the sofa and loveseat in the garage sale and if you don't get the price you want, then I would put it on cheapcycle or Craigslist. I would definately put the Barbies on Ebay. You will probably not get what you want for them at a yardsale since most people are looking for bargains, not collectibles when they are out shopping yard sales.

Selling the Barbies on Ebay would be better depending on the types they are. Go on Ebay and browse around and see what they are selling for. We sold a new in box Holiday Barbie from the first year they were issued for $400 on E-bay but that was three years ago. The market has significantly weakened and last February we sold a complete set of 11 Holiday Barbies new never been opened in box for $400. The market had come down a lot in a couple of years. We are getting ready to post a lot more on Ebay and have been watching the prices. Many of the individual Holiday Barbies are now only selling for $20 to $25 but we're just tired of the things now and want to sell them so we are going with low reserves and low starting bids just to get them out the door.

That depends on what your goal is. do you want to get rid of the items or do you want to make money? I garage/yard sale shop alot! Many of the nicer items (sets, name brands) that are priced over $3 get passed as well as $50 cribs, $25 strollers etc. It doesn't matter if they cost over $500 and the purchaser would be getting a bargain. In general, people that garage sale don't have alot of extra money and cannot afford to spend $50 on one item. Furniture sells well here at yard sales as well as baby items and clothes of all sizes.

I have to second a previous poster and say depends on what the ultimate goal is. A yard sale is a great way to just clean it out--- but you have to be willing to part w/ items for yard sale pricing. You mark clothing $0.25-1.00 and it will fly. You start marking items $2,3,5 a pc. In our area they'll sit and still be there when the sale is over.

As for the furniture, depends on what you want for it. If you just want it gone, then put it out at the yard sale. Beats having to make time for people to come see it. However, gotta remember yard sale pricing. Really good condition could still bring in the $100 range for a sofa-- if you're looking for much more go the classifieds route.

The barbies, everyone's saying ebay. BUT the market on them is waaaaay oversaturated. People are only getting small fractions of what they were on them. So, either hold onto them, or be prepared for them to not catch too much more than their original price. If you just want them gone, and don't want the hassle of shipping and such you still might be able to get $10-15 pc at a yard sale from an uneducated ebayer looking to make a score to sell.

Lastly, dishes are touchy. Find sometimes they go, and sometimes they don't. Once again, a lot will be in your pricing. Price to move and you should make some money and not have much to bring back in afterwards.

MidgeD79 said:
That depends on what your goal is. do you want to get rid of the items or do you want to make money? I garage/yard sale shop alot! Many of the nicer items (sets, name brands) that are priced over $3 get passed as well as $50 cribs, $25 strollers etc. It doesn't matter if they cost over $500 and the purchaser would be getting a bargain. In general, people that garage sale don't have alot of extra money and cannot afford to spend $50 on one item. Furniture sells well here at yard sales as well as baby items and clothes of all sizes.

I disagree with this. I've had several garage sales, and it's all types of people shopping. I've sold cribs, furniture, electronics, etc. for $50-$100. I've also found that ALOT of the people that go to garage sales are buying stuff to sell on e-bay!! I had a woman buy something from me, after haggling over the price only to say, "Now this I can get $25-$50 on e-bay!" I think she paid $5.00 for it!
My last sale (last weekend) I had TONS of kids clothes. I priced each item, and stuck to my prices until I felt it was time to call it a day....then I started making deals. I still sold over $400 worth of stuff, and only had to haul 3 boxes of stuff to goodwill. (I started out w/ 15 boxes of clothes, and 4-5 boxes of misc stuff)

Good luck to you!!

Furniture is where you make your money. List it in your ad.:thumbsup2

Collections, hard to tell. You can price them and then be firm. You never know. But make sure you look up what the items are worth first. Do your homework.
What are they going for on EBAY?

DH's toys and collectibles? How old?
If it is VERY old like from the 30's/ 40's/ 50's....people will buy!!! Again need to list it to attract the buyers.

People will buy stuff that is old or weird because it is old and weird.:lmao:

Clothes sell well if they are priced at about 10% of their value. You can price them higher and they'll still sell but not as many.

Generally collectibles sell better on ebay, check completed auctions for an idea of what items are. If you truly have something rare enough to not be on there but know it's origin you would probably be better off trying ebay for that.

Barbies are not a good resell item anywhere. I did sell a few at my last garage sale and I had them priced at 1/2 retail. They were NRFB, I've checked ebay and they don't sell for much there either so I'm planning to give them to the Salvation Army this year. I've had a bad habit of picking up toy bargains and have lots of new toys that I'll be donating this year along with the Barbies.

Looks like you've gotten lots of good advice.

In my experience just about anything will sell IF you're willing to price it low enough. I think most yard sale shoppers are looking for big time bargains and will pass if stuff is priced too high - no matter how nice it is.

Last time I sold every piece of clothing that I priced at $1.00 or $2.00 per item. Some of it I got on sale at Gap or Old Navy for not much more than that new. :rotfl:

On the other hand the name brand and boutique stuff that I paid a fortune for and thought I had priced very fairly, sat. :confused3

I tend to get a bit cross when I have a sweater that I paid over $100 for priced at $5.00 and people are trying to haggle with me. I figure I'm better off donating it and taking the tax write-off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter