What r the odds?

cavesrus

Mouseketeer
I spoke with my salesman at dvc, he said that I should prob buy at ss since cheaper that is where most start. My question is this I thi we will prob stay at blt most of time. How likely can I use pts at blt Vrs ss? And if thisis true why would anyone buy at a certain location?

It depends on the time of the year.
Theme park view and standard view are very difficult to get at 7 months mark. During holidays and peak time for DVC (from late September to marathon weekend in January) also lake view can be a problem, but if you are flexible with your travel dates and you need only a few nights it can be done. If you can travel only during school breaks you need the 11 month window advantage for the resort you like.

I spoke with my salesman at dvc, he said that I should prob buy at ss since cheaper that is where most start. My question is this I thi we will prob stay at blt most of time. How likely can I use pts at blt Vrs ss? And if thisis true why would anyone buy at a certain location?

It sounds like your salesperson is trying to make a sale regardless of what your needs are. The key advantage of owning a specific resort is that you can book there 11 months from date of travel, as opposed to owners of other resorts who can only book there 7 months from date of travel. If you want to stay at BLT, depending on the time of year you travel, it might be best to own BLT. For what it's worth, you can buy BLT on the resale market for less than the cost of purchasing SSR direct from Disney.

Regardless of what you decide, I would recommend taking the time to learn everything you can about DVC and how it works. These boards are a great resource for that. Good luck with your decision! :)

I spoke with my salesman at dvc, he said that I should prob buy at ss since cheaper that is where most start. My question is this I thi we will prob stay at blt most of time.

if you want to stay at BLT most of the time, buy BLT and book at 10-11 months out to secure your reservation.

if you can only book at 6-7 months out (or closer), you might as well own at SSR. but BLT lake view will likely be your best hope (60% or so of BLT is lake view villas) and you might wind up "stuck" at SSR. just understand that there are a LOT more SSR owners than BLT owners.

If BLT is your focus, I'd buy there but buy resale. If you decide to go with SSR, I'd also suggest resale. both barely half the price of retail.

if you want to stay at BLT most of the time, buy BLT and book at 10-11 months out to secure your reservation.

if you can only book at 6-7 months out (or closer), you might as well own at SSR. but BLT lake view will likely be your best hope (60% or so of BLT is lake view villas) and you might wind up "stuck" at SSR. just understand that there are a LOT more SSR owners than BLT owners.

Totally agree with this. If you really are only interested in staying at BLT then you should buy there. Otherwise you will just be frustrated.

We own at BLT. Points to stay there are high. Don't care about the view and only want to book standard to save points. I have to book right at 11 months to achieve that. I can do this once a year but for other trips we are happy to stay at other resorts. Lets just say we have learned to love SSR and OKW.

In October was able to book 2 nights at BLT for Jan 7-9. A fluke, I'm sure. I have looked multiple times a day, every day to try to get an extra night or 2 and have been completely shut out.

Understand the reluctance to look at resale but if you can save $65 per point why not at least consider it? You could buy more points for less money.

I will explore both resale and direct. Direct due to time share option we r divers and I can see us going to Carr or number of other places. But think most use will b disney. Wife loves it and I enjoy it. Views don't mean much even thoug our view of my at con was well priceless from the 12 floor. I don't c needed more than 125 to 150 pts due to 1 week plus a years is enough for us now. Can by more later. What is the typical break even pt for the points? Wit dues etc. is there a formula?

I will explore both resale and direct. Direct due to time share option we r divers and I can see us going to Carr or number of other places.

there is a lot of misinformation out there (did your salesman lie about this?) but resale owners can exchange their DVC through RCI the same as direct owners can.

(it tends to be a bad value and trading for specific areas/time periods can be difficult and require a lot of planning, but it makes no difference if you bought direct or resale.)

But think most use will b disney. Wife loves it and I enjoy it. Views don't mean much even thoug our view of my at con was well priceless from the 12 floor. I don't c needed more than 125 to 150 pts due to 1 week plus a years is enough for us now. Can by more later.

you'd need at least 160 pts to trade for a 1BR villa in the caribbean (assuming you can find availability.)

What is the typical break even pt for the points? Wit dues etc. is there a formula?

it varies. depends on your time value of money rate, but it is definitely lower if you pay less up front by buying resale.

there is a sticky for the "DVC resource thread" that lists historical annual dues to get a sense of how quickly they can grow.

It really depends on when and for what type of room. Certain BLT room types and views are easily available at the 7 month timeframe for certain times of year (for example, a full week rental from July 5-12, 2013 could have been made at the 7 month mark for any room and view combo at BLT). Other combinations of room and date will likely require 11 month. Buying at BLT would be the safe play, and the worst case scenario is that you waste a few thousand dollars for early booking rights that you didn't need.

I will explore both resale and direct. Direct due to time share option we r divers and I can see us going to Carr or number of other places. But think most use will b disney. Wife loves it and I enjoy it. Views don't mean much even thoug our view of my at con was well priceless from the 12 floor. I don't c needed more than 125 to 150 pts due to 1 week plus a years is enough for us now. Can by more later. What is the typical break even pt for the points? Wit dues etc. is there a formula?
Break even depends on your assumptions. Compared to off site or value, you never will. You'll roughly break even compared to a moderate but will come out ahead compared to a deluxe. This assumes comparing a studio to a hotel room or 2 hotel rooms to a 2 BR. You'll likely never break even dollar wise for a 1 BR. Don't buy DVC to use for those other places, it's a poor and expensive choice to do so.

I c that rci isn't a great value but nice to know option is there. We would pay cash for it so no fin. Sorry for adv of Carr I was talking about real carribean not resort. My wife is total anti vale due to possible noise. I would like aoa for Ariel room for dd's. but don't think wife would go we like make and con but delux price trip was a lot of cash. Prob mod lik pofq etc. but as I look forward and dd's get older could prob need more pts for trip every yr but the may just bank etc. I'm 36 and they r 4 and 2. So I know if wife has her way we will go yearly. Time to get excel out lol.

IMO, if you really want to stay at BLT, then I would buy there. While I do think that getting LV rooms at 7 months has been pretty consistent, there are going to be times that you might have difficulty.

How frustrating is it going to be for you to find out you can't get in there and wait list and then that doesn't come through? Fo us, we bought BLT to stay at BLT because I decided spending a few thousand dollars more--we bought in 2009 when it first went on sale--was worth not having to worry about getting the rooms we wanted. Plus, owning there allows us to book SV rooms which stretches the points and puts them in line with the other resorts we enjoy--BWV, BCV, and VWL---for the times we travel.

As mentioned, I would really look into resale and possibly just buy the points you need for staying at WDW and maybe looking into another timeshare to take care of your other needs. But, as mentioned, currently, both resale and direct can trade through RCI.

Of course, when you buy DVC, you really are buying the right to stay at your home resort, and while I think highly unlikely, they could remove a resort from the "club" and then you would be limited to your home resort only--direct or not.

So, if you are comfortable staying at SSR if BLT isn't available, go with that--but, if disappointment or frustration will set in if you are there, then go with what you love.

Good luck!

I c that rci isn't a great value but nice to know option is there.

right - just be clear that the option to trade through RCI is there whether you buy resale or direct.

Sorry for adv of Carr I was talking about real carribean not resort.

i wasn't talking about the wdw caribbean resort either, but RCI resorts in the (real) caribbean. you would still need at least 160 DVC pts to trade through RCI for a 1BR villa at one of those resorts. (a 2BR villa would cost more.)

a 150 pt DVC contract will limit your options whether you buy direct or resale.

Prob mod lik pofq etc. but as I look forward and dd's get older could prob need more pts for trip every yr but the may just bank etc. I'm 36 and they r 4 and 2. So I know if wife has her way we will go yearly.

if you are sure you will go yearly and stay in at least a moderate wdw hotel room, DVC is definitely worth a look. just be sure to do your homework before you buy and don't believe everything the salespeople tell you (even if they do work for disney).

Yes I know all salesperson r on heavy commission so I don't believe them if there lips r moving. That being said Great to get there info even if it is part truth. Knowledge is key! Do u think it is best to rent pts for first stay or put that $ towards buying? Direct/resale. I will need to put that thought in as well.....

Here's how I look at it.....you can spend thousands of dollars at SSR and be kinda sorta sure you can get into BLT most of the time, or you can spend thousands of dollars at BLT and be sure you can get into BLT whenever you want to. :)

I c that rci isn't a great value but nice to know option is there. We would pay cash for it so no fin. Sorry for adv of Carr I was talking about real carribean not resort. My wife is total anti vale due to possible noise. I would like aoa for Ariel room for dd's. but don't think wife would go we like make and con but delux price trip was a lot of cash. Prob mod lik pofq etc. but as I look forward and dd's get older could prob need more pts for trip every yr but the may just bank etc. I'm 36 and they r 4 and 2. So I know if wife has her way we will go yearly. Time to get excel out lol.
As noted, RCI (and Buena vista trading company currently) are options resale or not. IMO, it's always good to have options but bad to pay extra for those options where DVC is concerned. It's also better to underbuy both in the resort choice and the number of points. Put practically, it's better to buy less points than more, buy SSR than BLT unless you know BLT is your main choice and have the experience to back that thought up (with stays there or CR) and do not buy extra points for non DVC options EVER.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter