What next?!?!?

OK, breathe slowly! I think the media has whipped everyone into a frenzy about this. My kid just had strep. I heard that they weren't doing tests to confirm swine flu anymore? Or maybe that's just good ole Michigan!

Oh no! Hamthrax in Blink?! Yipes. Can they not tell you? Isn't it a question of public safety? I mean really?!

It probably violates some school type of HIPPA law or something but at least tell me what wing it's in so I can do the mathematical probability of my kids getting it.
Good thing I mentioned at the 8th grade meeting that we will bob for apples on a string and not in water at the dance, much to the dismay of the teacher doing the games! LOL

I just don't get the whole swine flu thing because I had the same symptoms, tested negative, and 3 weeks later I'm fine. still tired but fine. DR said it was exhaustion and it manifested itself in cold/flu like symptoms. Hell the flu, a cold, and Mono all have the same symptoms. But by the time you get the symptoms everyone has been exposed already right?

It's just silly that they wouldn't at least tell you what grade the child is in. Have they tested positive?

That's the sneaky thing about this one, I think it's too late to know it is what it is without infecting a lot of people.

I will keep my fingers crossed for your family to stay healthy (and you to get over the tiredness!).

OK, breathe slowly! I think the media has whipped everyone into a frenzy about this. My kid just had strep. I heard that they weren't doing tests to confirm swine flu anymore? Or maybe that's just good ole Michigan!

I'm not to worried about it. My kids are relatively healthy and while the whole stinkin' town gets sick at the same time, mine come out the best. Probably because I'm not a germaphobe and my house isn't exactly in a bubble. I totally believe in letting the body fight off what ever ails you.

It's just silly that they wouldn't at least tell you what grade the child is in. Have they tested positive?

That's the sneaky thing about this one, I think it's too late to know it is what it is without infecting a lot of people.

I will keep my fingers crossed for your family to stay healthy (and you to get over the tiredness!).

And I quote:
As of this morning thre is one confirmed case of H1N1 virus at Blink Elementary School. We want to keep the school open and functioning as normal for as long as possible.

And then they list all the rule changes, like if your kid is sick, keep everyone home. yada yada yada.
She did not say if it was a staff member or a student.

Oh and she is allowing staff and students that are high risk to stay home like asthma sufferers, heart disease, etc...... The mom with Breast cancer should really keep her 3 home, she just started chemo this week.

I wonder if I should offer up my services to come into the school every day at pick up and disinfect the tables, desks, and chairs. 3 janitors don't have time to do that and all the common areas as well.

I am sure the whole school has been exposed by now. Thank goodness you have healthy kids. Stay on them about washing their hands before they eat at school. Has Blink indicated when they are getting the vaccine for school age children? Sneeze will be getting it the second - fourth week of November offered by a State Agency. Our towns emergency response team (who yours truly serves on) will be activated to help with the innoculation site (no I won't be doing the process, just helping coordinating the location, etc). Let me find out exactly who is doing it so you can ask Blink.

Our first school clinic for the vacinne was to be on the 24th got notice today of the shortage so no clinic. Hopefully the nov ones still happen. I'm still on the fence about the whole thing.
Crossing fingers for you Buffy that it skips your house

Lisa, we don't exactly have an emergency response team, hell we don't even have a town cop or resident state trooper. LOL

I don't think we are getting a round of vaccines, not that I would vaccinate my kids anyway. But I think they are relying on the parents to get the vaccine privately. Remember we are a major support town for staff at the hospital so a huge portion of our parents can get their hands on the vaccine through work.

and before anyone jumps on me, I'm not anti vaccine I just don't believe in pumping my kids full of stuff that has not been tested for very long. My kids also didn't get the meningitis vaccine nor will they get the HPV vaccine. The H1N1 vaccine will not protect them from every strain of flu and I'm not going to fill them with toxins on the remote possibility that they may catch it. We will just continue promoting over all health and personal space, hand washing etc etc etc.

OK, off my soap box now. :rotfl2:

Okay. Breathe. Just not too deeply. :rotfl2:

I've become the local expert on this disease. You can read my blog to find out some information on it and some links that will take you to blogs that do a better job of explaining it.

First off. The testing is usually off. Meaning just because you tested negative does not mean you didn't have the Novel Type A H1N1. There is a 40-70% false negative with the current testing. Even the $250 test is wrong most of the time. SO if you have flu symptoms, treat it like the pandemic strain.

What does that mean? If you or your child has symptoms, make your doctor give you Tamiflu. Per the new WHO recommendations, ALL people presenting with Influenza Like Illness symptoms should and must be treated with Antivirals.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breaki...-230559/WHO-warns-of-tough-fight-vs-swine-flu
Data presented at a three-day meeting of health professionals here showed that "this virus causes severe pneumonia compared to seasonal flu," World Health Organization (WHO) influenza expert Nikki Shindo told reporters.

The influenza A(H1N1) virus, she warned, could cause potentially life-threatening viral pneumonia far more often than the seasonal flu.

"This virus really likes the lower respiratory tract, which means this virus is more likely to cause viral pneumonia than seasonal pneumonia," Shindo warned.

Around 30 percent of severe cases had bacterial co-infections, she added, urging that anti-viral treatments be administered in a timely fashion to reduce severe disease.

I am glad that you school is allowing at risk students to stay home. I think siblings of at risk students should stay home too.

No grief from me over the vax. It is a choice that each family should make for themselves. I can tell you that Little Bit has suffered no ill side effects from both injections. He's 8, he would need two according to CDC recommendations. However, I can NOT tell you he has immunity. How far the current strain going around has changed from the seed stock from April? These vaccines could really be pointless and give a false sense of security. Something we don't need as a society.

Keep a watch out for the warning signs. Getting better and then a fever is a BAD thing. It is usually a secondary infection that took advantage of the week immune system. Get them to an ER pronto.
Blue fingers and lips. Bad.
Shortness of breath or sloppy sounding breathing. Bad. Could be pneumonia.
Irritability unable to console. Bad
Extreme lethargy. Bad.
Unable to keep down liquids. Really bad. Dehydration kills.

I urge everyone to get their preps ready NOW.
You need OTC medicines. Easy to prepare and eat foods. Soup for the sick. Easy to open and just eat food for the kiddos if YOU are too sick to make dinner. Oral Re-hydration fluids. These are a MUST. Not Gatoraid. Too much sugar. The Propel water is better. Pedialyte is best.
Keep you emergency contact numbers where they can be found easily.
Tell someone so they can check up on you.
If it presents with mild symptoms, great. But even mild can mean "hit by a truck and just not need ventilation". This where the dehydration bad things can happen.

Helping to clean the school is a good thing, but really it isn't enough. This virus will be air born in the colder, less humid weather. It will have a much longer hang time in the air before it falls to surfaces to be cleaned. Keep six feet from you and the next person if possible.

Let me know if you need any specific information. I can find it for you. :hug:

keep 6 feet between everyone?!?!? OMG too funny!!! Not in this town.

So a teacher was at our Applebees breakfast today and she couldn't even tell us what wing. But another parent (the husband of the breast cancer patient) said he heard it was Pre-K or Kindergarten. His little one is in Pre-K so I told him to keep all 3 home next week just to be on the safe side. His wife has only had 2 treatments and all of her hair fell out this week so she's getting slammed with high doses of chemo so she can't get sick, period.

I can definitely tell you either I didn't have swine flu or I'm healthy as a horse because I'm getting better every day. Still a slight cough from post nasal drip but other then that I'm golden.

:rotfl2:I know. Six feet really only works in the grocery store. And only if you use your cart and theirs as a buffer. :rotfl2:

There are still other virus circulating. Lots of respiratory illness and rhinovirus and good ol' Norovirus. Wish the flu test was more sensitive and reliable.

Oh and don't forget that only 30% of the cases that were hospitalized had fever. Not having a fever does not mean you don't have this flu.
http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/guidance_homecare.htm
2009 H1N1 flu virus infection (formerly known as swine flu) can cause a wide range of symptoms, including fever, cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue. Some people may also have vomiting and diarrhea. People may be infected with the flu, including 2009 H1N1, and have respiratory symptoms without a fever. Like seasonal flu, 2009 H1N1 flu in humans can vary in severity from mild to severe. Severe disease with pneumonia, respiratory failure and even death is possible with 2009 H1N1 flu infection.

Print that out to bring with you to the doctor. Not all doctors keep updated with the newest information about this flu and only follow the old seasonal flu guidelines which did state there had to be fever.

I, for one, am tired of the over-reaction to all of this. My kids will be vaccinated and we will take appropriate precautions, but my son is scared to go to school. The teachers and staff have talked, and talked, and talked about this until they have the kids scared to death. He now carries a bottle of antibacterial liquid with him the entire day. He's going through a small purse size bottle of it every week. He's not a kid who's afraid of much, but I think this is ridiculous. Tell the kids about it once and reinforce good precautions, but don't give these kids a nervous breakdown. Parents should be the ones watching and worrying and KEEPING THEIR KIDS HOME WHEN THEY'RE SICK! I can't tell you how many snotty-nosed kids I saw at the school when I was in last week. What is wrong with parents? Most don't want to be bothered with the day-to-day parenting.
Sorry about the rant.....it's been a long week.

Rant away.
What good is scaring the children if the parents won't keep their sick children home?
Our school talked about it once in a form of a science experiment. How germs spread when you don't use a tissue to catch them. They encourage hand washing after the bathroom and before eating and that is about it.
Both of mine carry a bottle of hand sanitizer. But that is because we experienced a norovirus and I never want to do that again. And they have been singing the ABC song since September of last year. Again because of that norovirus. Poor Little Bit got in trouble for singing in the bathroom. :rotfl2: He now sings under his breath.

There is being prepared and cautious and then there is over done. Over done is bad. It will lead you to become complacent when nothing like the Dustin Hoffman Outbreak happens. Over done will lead you to think everything afterwards is just more of the same and nothing to worry about.
Straight facts are good.
Telling you your child will get sick and might die because they didn't wash their hands good enough is criminal.

Remind your son that cautious is good. That if things were to get really bad, that you, as his Mom, will protect him. That is our job. Our job is to worry and protect. His job is to be cautious and have fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!