What is your go to movie list for Canada Day / US Independence Day?

You don't have to watch the movie in place of the actual celebration, you can do so that very weekend at a different time.

That said, I don't do the 4th anymore anyway, it's typically a waste except for the cookouts.
True. I just never thought of movies along with Canada Day before.

I don't even know what you all do for Canada Day. Timbits, poutine, and beer?
https://ottawatourism.ca/en/see-and-do/canada-day

This is broadcasted live. Most cities have fireworks somewhere. No parades where I am.
I live in lake country (think Minnesota type) and a large percentage of the population head to the cottage or the beach on summer long weekends.
Here July 1st is also home to lots of music festivals like our local Country Fest https://countryfest.ca/.

We are now treading (for good reason) to recognize our Indigenous roots and celebrate them on Canada Day.

ETA - I think (in my experience) that Canada Day tend to be less of a family get together holiday than the 4th in the USA. Up here it's more just a summer long weekend (if it's a long weekend...) with perhaps some fireworks.

Last edited:

https://ottawatourism.ca/en/see-and-do/canada-day

This is broadcasted live. Most cities have fireworks somewhere. No parades where I am.
I live in lake country (think Minnesota type) and a large percentage of the population head to the cottage or the beach on summer long weekends.
Here July 1st is also home to lots of music festivals like our local Country Fest https://countryfest.ca/.

We are now treading (for good reason) to recognize our Indigenous roots and celebrate them on Canada Day.

ETA - I think (in my experience) that Canada Day tend to be less of a family get together holiday than the 4th in the USA. Up here it's more just a summer long weekend (if it's a long weekend...) with perhaps some fireworks.
I think we celebrate it in a bigger way because we actually had to physically fight for our rights. You guys were given power because of fear of rebellion and partially the cost to the British empire. Not making fun of your country, just stating facts.

American Playhouse special of Jean Shepherd’s “The Great Fourth of July, and Other Disasters” (Absolutely AMAZING… have watched it since I was a little kid, you may have heard of another movie based on Shepherd’s short stories, and also narrated by him: A Christmas Story)
Independence Day
Live Free or Die Hard (why? No idea… Die Hard is for Christmas, this one is for summer)

1776 - movie version of the award winning Broadway musical about the writing of the Declaration of Independence. Starring William Daniels (Boy Meets World) and Ken Howard (The White Shadow).

Yankee Doodle Dandy - classic 1942 biopic of American songman George M. Cohan, starring James Cagney. Cagney was best known for his gangster roles but his real love was dancing.

and Gettysburg, the 1993 movie based on Michael Shaara's novel "The Killer Angels", because it's the anniversary of the battle (July 1-3, 1863). The movie stars Jeff Daniels, Tom Berenger, and Martin Sheen.

Ah! Have you been to any of those NOTL locations? The graveyard, farm house?
The farm house is gone, been gone, tore down after filming. A new house was built in it's place, but it's not the one in the movie.

Franklin Road is my cut-through to reach the Mars side of Cranberry and I've never stopped at the cemetery. Pass it all the time though.

Not in any particular order:
Jaws
The Music Man (takes place on July 4th)
Gettysburg (love that "The March to Mortality (Pickett's Charge)" is played by Soarin' in DCA)
Hamilton
Ken Burn's The Civil War (All of it if we can make time; otherwise, the episode on Gettysburg.)
Glory
Lincoln

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter