What is your favorite resort in the US that is NOT a Disney resort?

For adults, I prefer Lake Of The Ozarks over Branson and our favorite place to stay is Camden On The Lake Spa & Resort.

1-b96a10ef12c840dca883276162b6fe09.jpg

Near the top of my platinum bucket list for half of my life. Mohonk Mountain House.

You mentioned you're in Northern IL. This may or may not be your thing... but going to Wisconsin Dells wouldn't be too terribly far. Yes, I know a lot of attractions there are tourist traps, but not all of them are. My DH and I really enjoy the Wilderness Hotel. It's a huge waterpark hotel, and the wave pool is impressive. There are swim-up bars at the hotel, and you can rent nice cabanas. They have all sorts of activities, like horse-drawn carriage rides, zip-lining, and more.

What you may not know is that Sundara Spa Resort is associated with the Wilderness and on its property. Here is a link: https://www.sundaraspa.com. My family (all adults) visited Sundara about a year ago and found it extremely relaxing. However, like I said, it's connected to the Wilderness, so you have access to that kind of stuff (water parks, activities), too, if you want it. But if you're looking for a place to just get away from everything and de-stress, I couldn't think of a better place than Sundara. It has won numerous awards from travel publications. It isn't a place you would expect to find in the Dells.

The Dells definitely has golfing, horseback riding, and more. I also like the outlet mall - I always find tons of stuff there. Restaurants are hit and miss. Pretty much all of the big chain restaurants are there. DH and I have found that our favorite restaurant is High Rock Cafe. Just like Sundara, it's not a place you would think to find in the Dells.

The two you mention seem to be cooler weather resorts...
But you do mention pools and lake....
I take it you are not beach people?
Sandestin resort (huge resort community) near Destin Florida, and the Sandestin Hilton, offer everything, on-site, is wonderful, but WAY too packed between Memorial Day and Labor day.

Last edited:

If you are traveling without kids (and could give up the golf...) I would highly recommend an Adults Only resort, like at Cancun and Riviera Maya area!!!!

Rates there are lower down there for the Summer, as opposed to the jacked up Summer rates you will find here.

So many great suggestions! We will probably take a weekend trip to The Dells with kids because we do enjoy it there. We also plan to take a trip next Jan or Feb to Hawaii or the Caribbean depending on dh's work schedule. We usually do a quick adults weekend in the summer to Grand Geneva in Lake Geneva WI and a concert at Alpine Valley but sadly there are no shows at Alpine this year so we are looking for something different.

The two you mention seem to be cooler weather resorts...
But you do mention pools and lake....
I take it you are not beach people?
Sandestin resort (huge resort community) near Destin Florida, and the Sandestin Hilton, offer everything, on-site, is wonderful, but WAY too packed between Memorial Day and Labor day.

If they're thinking San Destin, my folks own, but don't rent, a place in Top'sl that is lovely. Great restaurants are a short Uber. I'm not a fan of the pan handle, but it is nice.

We generally don't stay at resorts in the US (we tend to do that in the Caribbean and Mexico, since staying on resorts tends to be safer), but one that we've visited and like is The Sanctuary in Kiawah Island in SC. It was extremely nice; I'm pretty sure it's 5-diamond rated.

I don't know if Sea Pines in Hilton Head counts as a resort - it's gated access, but the homes are not not owned by the same company (some are privately owned and rented, some have property management companies). But it's pretty nice for a family vacation. We've stayed there a bunch of times, in different houses, when visiting the in-laws.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter