What is with the 6A's on Wonder /Magic?

Belle091507

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone!

I'm trying to price cruises for 2012 and would like to sail on the wonder or magic in a 6A. We are 2 a and 2c who would be 3 and under when we sail. Why won't the 6a category come up on either ship on any sailing? My DH would rather have a white wall Verandah instead of glass(feels it might put his mind at ease with the kids) and i can't get it?! It says the rooms hold 3 or 4 and the bookings opened today....could they already be all sold out? I've been searching since 11:30 this morning on and off...:confused3

Thanks for any help you can give me :)

The last time I looked at the deck plan for the Magic/Wonder for 2011 and beyond, the 6A rooms that sleep 4 are all handicapped accessible rooms. If DCL lets you (as a party of 4) book one, they generally book it in GTY status so you don't lock up an accessible room if you don't need one. But they may not make them available to be booked by a party of 4, so you wouldn't see them showing as available. Since bookings first opened for 2011 last year, I've taken to referring to the 6A category as the Cat 12 of verandahs for families of 4, since every family of 4 who reported in as being able to book one was assigned GTY status from day 1. But they've reported them as being unavailable to book for 4 people more often than they've been available.

On a secondary note, since you mentioned your DH is concerned about the verandah safety with small kids. We've sailed in both types of verandahs with kids under 3, and actually found the plexiglass verandah to be safer. The kids are too small to see over the metal verandah, so if they want to look out you have to hold them up to see over the railing. I was always paranoid that we'd hit a big swell or something and I'd go teetering toward the railing holding the kid and lose them or something!

The biggest concern we've had with the plexiglass verandah is the kids trying to climb on the furniture (tables or chairs) to see even better, but we don't keep any furniture near the railing, and don't let the kids out on the verandah without us, and haven't had any problems. You can always ask that the table and/or chairs be removed from your verandah if you're really concerned.

Thanks for the info! I didn't realise that it was a rare occurance as i had seen it once or twice before. Now i know to keep my eyes open for them and hope DCL decideds to release some.

I agree about the glass being a safer option and i will definatlely keep look out for that furniture hazard! Thanks again!:goodvibes

We were in what is now a 6A once with the solid wall & it only slept 3. I think most of those aft cabins only sleep 3 (like the Cat 7 Navigators). PERSONALLY I didn't like the solid wall. DS was 8 at the time and still couldn't see over it - the railing right at his head level. We also didn't let him out there alone but it was even MORE TEMPTING for him to climb onto the furniture to try to see out. At 8 he was too big for us to hold him up for very long. It was annoying. We're sure to book a clear plexiglass one for any future cruises. You can't sit down & relax & see over unless you want to peek thru between the wall & the railing (there's a small gap between). That's not relaxing to me. At least with the clear one they can see THRU it.

My advice is just book a "real" balcony if you want one (5C and up).

ry%3D400

Thanks for the Pictures! We have a 5c booked already for January 2011 and i can't wait to take advantage of that balcony:yay:! Have a great day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter