What is the strangest question you have been asked regarding your family situation

Wendy1985

Loves everything fitness
For me it was a few yrs ago, I had a neighbor ask me how I came into existence because my moms partner is also female and I had to explain awkwardly that my mom did not always know she was into women and I told her who my dad was, he came and visited and the neighbor is like I can see the resemblance

That is funny. With our family, both ours and my parents, I have found that people thought we had $$$$!! With my parents it was because of their professions - nurse and contractor. With ours it was because we went to WDW every few years. Really?!?

For me it was a few yrs ago, I had a neighbor ask me how I came into existence because my moms partner is also female and I had to explain awkwardly that my mom did not always know she was into women and I told her who my dad was, he came and visited and the neighbor is like I can see the resemblance
When I saw the title of the post (and that it's in the LGBTQ forum), I was planning to open up the thread and give the same kind of answer.

My partner and I moved onto our block with her youngest teenager a few years ago, and most of our new neighbors batted nary an eyelash when we met them. We weren't the first same-sex couple on the block, or even the first same-sex couple with kids. But our one neighbor seemed uneasy about us from day one (I suspect he didn't — and maybe still doesn't — know the other same-sex couple, who are at the other end of the block). He's never been impolite, but he has a vibe of seeming unsure about whether he's saying the right or wrong thing around us, and one time he asked my partner, "So, where did B. [the son] come from?"

It was all that my partner could do not to give him a sex ed lesson. But she politely explained that he came from a previous relationship.

I have a childhood friend and she has a very different family make-up... She, lives with 2 men, and they have lived together for years and years... Yes the 3 of them are in a relationship, and it works for them... They have 2 sons, who now are grown with families of their own... When the youngest son got married, his new father in law, who was very uneasy, clumsy, overly cautious and above all curious about how things came together, and how things work...
So he asked my friend ... So how did this all start? She said the normal way, and winked at him... to which he turned red... then she went on to say we just have more love to give our boys... I thought that was the perfect answer...

I have a childhood friend and she has a very different family make-up... She, lives with 2 men, and they have lived together for years and years... Yes the 3 of them are in a relationship, and it works for them... They have 2 sons, who now are grown with families of their own... When the youngest son got married, his new father in law, who was very uneasy, clumsy, overly cautious and above all curious about how things came together, and how things work...
So he asked my friend ... So how did this all start? She said the normal way, and winked at him... to which he turned red... then she went on to say we just have more love to give our boys... I thought that was the perfect answer...

Good for her. I tried to tell my husband how handy it would be to have another man in the house to do the things that he can't(like fix anything). He didn't agree. LOL

People telling me that they hoped our children would have my eye colour... When they knew that I was going to be the non-biological mother... o_O

Last edited:
I can't even imagine people asking personal questions like that to other adults! I can see little kids asking questions, but actual grown adults - that boggles my mind! I am a woman married to a man and we have kids, but I could never imagine asking personal questions of anyone irregardless their background whether it be cultural from another country type of thing or of a more sexual/gender situation as mentioned above.

I can't even imagine people asking personal questions like that to other adults! I can see little kids asking questions, but actual grown adults - that boggles my mind! I am a woman married to a man and we have kids, but I could never imagine asking personal questions of anyone irregardless their background whether it be cultural from another country type of thing or of a more sexual/gender situation as mentioned above.

she was born in Austria I remember her asking me what boarding school is to say I was surprised that she did not know is a understatement

I don’t remember when I learned what it was it must have been part of the school Curriculum in America given that even today my mom and I can’t stand to be apart so I know she never thought of sending me to boarding school

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts