What is the craziest DCL policy you've encountered?

Rob1872

DIS Veteran
Just was thinking about this while reading some of the discussions about paper navigators being discontinued, even the small stack that they used to keep at the end of Guest Services after stopping the daily distribution to all staterooms.

What is the strangest policy you've run across?

My favorite was our last cruise while we were in Nassau. I goofed and hadn't written down the directions to the Queen's Staircase. It is pretty much a straight shot out of the port to the top of the stairs, but I couldn't remember which street to take (and I didn't want to come off airplane mode on my phone and get roaming charges to download the Nassau iPhone map). I went to Guest Services and asked if they had directions to the Queen's Staircase. The lady at the front was wonderful; she didn't know but went in the back to ask some other people and ended up coming back with a Google Map printout of the walking path. However, the strange part was she apologized and told me that she was not allowed to give me a paper printout but that I could take a picture of the map with my phone (which I did). I was really happy that she managed to walk the line between not giving a guest a printout of tourism items and still ensuring that I got the information I needed; however, it is such a strange policy that she could print out a map but have to throw it away rather than give it to me.

“We don't care about our customers at all”

Edited to clarify I believe DCL as a company has this policy. Fortunately they have cast members that know how to get on the edge and giving outstanding value to guests. Your story about the printout says it all.

“We don't care about our customers at all”

Edited to clarify I believe DCL as a company has this policy. Fortunately they have cast members that know how to get on the edge and giving outstanding value to guests. Your story about the printout says it all.
At the corporate level, customers are faceless and interchangeable.

If the company prices out one family, or makes a change that causes a family to quit DCL, management doesn’t care so long as there’s a new family to replace the departed one. We’re like cattle at that level.

But I agree that there are still (enough?) CMs who care enough to see passengers as people, and try their best to make things wonderful.

As far as weird policies, I guess it’s one I am dealing with right now - why give a family traveling with linked reservations for connecting staterooms two different PATs? Why break them up like that when you know odds are high that they will be traveling as a single group and arriving at the port in a single vehicle?

Why break them up like that when you know odds are high that they will be traveling as a single group and arriving at the port in a single vehicle?
Probably has to do with how many people are on any given reservation, regardless of being linked, to even out how many people will be arriving within a given time frame. Also, maybe due to how long it was between the check ins for the two different reservations and how many others were checking in at the same time.

I've found most computer programs can only allow for one variation of information. Once you try to tell it 2 different variations, it tends to ignore both.

Probably has to do with how many people are on any given reservation, regardless of being linked, to even out how many people will be arriving within a given time frame. Also, maybe due to how long it was between the check ins for the two different reservations and how many others were checking in at the same time.

I've found most computer programs can only allow for one variation of information. Once you try to tell it 2 different variations, it tends to ignore both.
Makes sense. My two PAT selections were mere minutes apart, and we're only a party of five, so I am just amazed that this is something that Disney IT couldn't work through. Surely there's a way to manage crowd flow without breaking up what could very well be a single family unit.

But then again, it is Disney IT......

Just was thinking about this while reading some of the discussions about paper navigators being discontinued, even the small stack that they used to keep at the end of Guest Services after stopping the daily distribution to all staterooms.

What is the strangest policy you've run across?

My favorite was our last cruise while we were in Nassau. I goofed and hadn't written down the directions to the Queen's Staircase. It is pretty much a straight shot out of the port to the top of the stairs, but I couldn't remember which street to take (and I didn't want to come off airplane mode on my phone and get roaming charges to download the Nassau iPhone map). I went to Guest Services and asked if they had directions to the Queen's Staircase. The lady at the front was wonderful; she didn't know but went in the back to ask some other people and ended up coming back with a Google Map printout of the walking path. However, the strange part was she apologized and told me that she was not allowed to give me a paper printout but that I could take a picture of the map with my phone (which I did). I was really happy that she managed to walk the line between not giving a guest a printout of tourism items and still ensuring that I got the information I needed; however, it is such a strange policy that she could print out a map but have to throw it away rather than give it to me.

Was the reason for not giving the copy because of Covid? I even went to the doctor last year for my routine mammogram and my doctor had a print out but told me he couldn't give it to me because of Covid. I thought that was the weirdest thing ever!

I think the silliest thing is how they do system updates starting at midnight EST, which is exactly when folks need to book activities and check in. Have had to wait up until 1 or 2am sometimes waiting for them to finish the update abd bring the system back online. Why wouldn't they just do the update at 3am instead?

I think having 3 and 4 year olds have to wear masks in the kids club but no where else is the dumbest policy. Maybe I’m just not getting it but I don’t get the reason of that at all…but I’d rather have that then 3 and 4 year olds having to wear masks everywhere in the ship. So while I think it’s a dumb policy, it’s at least not as bad as it could be

The dumbest policy was during COVID that you had to put your mask back on at dinner if you wanted to get your picture taken. I've been sitting here for a hour eating without a mask and now you want me to put it on so you can take a picture? Dumbest thing I heard all cruise!
I can see a valid reason this policy is not stupid. Pretty smart as far as I am concerned.

Imagine the restaurant is the only place on the ship where you can take pictures unmasked. Parties who want to have “official” pictures of themselves might want to gather for this opportunity, even if not seated at the same table. This would create a mess in the small restaurants and would pose a threat as far as Covid is concerned.

DCL's alcohol policy for 18+ on european cruises. Not only stupid seeing the drinking age there is 16-18 depending on country, but I question the legality of it IF I understand it completly. Passengers 18-21 need to have parents sign a waiver. Ok- but unless said parents have a legal conservatorship over said adult- how is this even legal? Asking another adult to sign persmission for another adult?
From my understanding US laws on alcohol don't even play a role here. US citizens who are under 21 and travel overseas are under local laws. DCL flys under Bahama flag and there drinking age is 18.

And what if two guests who book and have no parents with them, but are under 21 how does this work?

I think having 3 and 4 year olds have to wear masks in the kids club but no where else is the dumbest policy. Maybe I’m just not getting it but I don’t get the reason of that at all…but I’d rather have that then 3 and 4 year olds having to wear masks everywhere in the ship. So while I think it’s a dumb policy, it’s at least not as bad as it could be
Maybe that decision is driven by 5 year olds being vaccinated

DCL's alcohol policy for 18+ on european cruises. Not only stupid seeing the drinking age there is 16-18 depending on country, but I question the legality of it IF I understand it completly. Passengers 18-21 need to have parents sign a waiver. Ok- but unless said parents have a legal conservatorship over said adult- how is this even legal? Asking another adult to sign persmission for another adult?
From my understanding US laws on alcohol don't even play a role here. US citizens who are under 21 and travel overseas are under local laws. DCL flys under Bahama flag and there drinking age is 18.

And what if two guests who book and have no parents with them, but are under 21 how does this work?
I agree that this is stupid. It makes little sense for all the reasons you just described.

I agree this policy is totally stupid (and I'm well over 21 and personally know nobody that could be concerned).

Disney went definitely too far on the “art deco heritage” with this one.

I actually question the legatity of it.
Would be interesting to challenge.
IANAL, if I understand correctly as soon as the ship enter international water it's basically up to the captain to decide the rules.
(This wouldn't apply at ports. In which case I don't know about other countries but in mine it would definitely be illegal. We're pretty strict as far as “refusal to sell” is concerned.)

I think the silliest thing is how they do system updates starting at midnight EST, which is exactly when folks need to book activities and check in. Have had to wait up until 1 or 2am sometimes waiting for them to finish the update abd bring the system back online. Why wouldn't they just do the update at 3am instead?
Midnight is when you CAN book activities and check in. It's not when you NEED to book activities and check in. Most people can and do wait until a reasonable hour the next morning, or even a few days later, and are fine.

IANAL, if I understand correctly as soon as the ship enter international water it's basically up to the captain to decide the rules.
(This wouldn't apply at ports. In which case I don't know about other countries but in mine it would definitely be illegal. We're pretty strict as far as “refusal to sell” is concerned.)
It’s DCL overall policy not just a captain. I can see a captain decision or input only taking place if there’s an issue. Kind of cutting someone off of the bar or refusing to serve them on a flight if they’re already intoxicated. The main issue is who discriminating within an age group. I can get it the overall policy is simply saying no one under 21. But to say this 19 year old can because his parents signed and the other one can’t because his parents didn’t is the main issue for me.

It’s DCL overall policy not just a captain. I can see a captain decision or input only taking place if there’s an issue. Kind of cutting someone off of the bar or refusing to serve them on a flight if they’re already intoxicated. The main issue is who discriminating within an age group. I can get it the overall policy is simply saying no one under 21. But to say this 19 year old can because his parents signed and the other one can’t because his parents didn’t is the main issue for me.
I wasn't trying to justify DCL decision. Just that IMHO when at sea, captain can blindly decide to apply DCL rules, however stupid they are, and guests need to follow.
This is an issue that needs to be fixed by DCL (though I'm pretty sure nobody cares).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter