What is the booking window for transferred points? Other ways to book at non-home resort further than 7 months out

Artemis Fowl

Mouseketeer
DVC Gold
Do transfer points carry the 11 month or 7 month booking window at their 'home resort'?

I have a contract and BLT and Poly and was just thinking about trying to work out trading with other DVC owners to book stays at other resorts at the 11 month mark. Can I trade points with someone at Riviera and then use those points at Riviera at the 11 month mark, even though my 2 contracts are resale?

If not, does the disboards rent/transfer forum allow owners to just post "trade reservations" request? I imagine their are a fair amount of owners that want to book at each other's home resorts. If the transfer can't happen, where could people just facilitate booking a room for each other.

Our next trip is…details removed…We'd have really liked to stay at…details removed. but couldn't get it at 7 months. I can't help but imagine there are people with those same reservation that wanted my reservation but couldn't get it. Is there some way for us to find each other?

• Owners may only transfer or receive points from another member one time per use year, not calendar year.
  • Transferred points retain their original use year and home resort priority.
  • You cannot transfer banked or borrowed points.
  • Points transfers are not reversible.
  • Transferred points will expire at the end of the transferor’s use year but can be banked by the transferee.
  • Transferred points cannot be borrowed.
  • Both Transferor and Transferee must be current on their maintenance dues at the time of the transfer.

I removed specifics of your trip but didn’t want to just delete as you had good questions.

Transferred points do retain their home resort so if you got another home resort into your account you can book with those points only at that resort during 11 month window.

But, owners are only allowed one transfer in or out so sometimes it’s hard because different UYs need to be done.

We do not allow confirmed reservations to be posted on our Rent/Tranafer thread until 30 days or less unless you have one of the higher priced plans.

To be honest, I think a swap is hard to arrange as it has to line up perfectly and point costs are not the same so that has to be worked out.

I removed specifics of your trip but didn’t want to just delete as you had good questions.

Transferred points do retain their home resort so if you got another home resort into your account you can book with those points only at that resort during 11 month window.

But, owners are only allowed one transfer in or out so sometimes it’s hard because different UYs need to be done.

We do not allow confirmed reservations to be posted on our Rent/Tranafer thread until 30 days or less unless you have one of the higher priced plans.

To be honest, I think a swap is hard to arrange as it has to line up perfectly and point costs are not the same so that has to be worked out.
So if I understand, I could find a Riviera owner with the same use year as me. We could transfer our points to each other and then book at the 11 month mark?

So if I understand, I could find a Riviera owner with the same use year as me. We could transfer our points to each other and then book at the 11 month mark?

You can’t transfer the same year to each other. You would each have to transfer a different actual year.

For example, lets say we both had an Aug UY. I could transfer my 2022 UY points to you but that counts as both of our 2022 UY transfer.

You’d then need to transfer 2021 or 2023 UY points to me..whichever ones make sense for my trip.

The key is the transferred points need to be valid for the trip and can not be borrowed. They retain their own UY.

So, if I sent you RIV points from my Aug UY, you would not be able to use them for any trip before Aug 1st, even if you had a different UY.

I can see it seems pretty complicated. I'm guessing the easiest way would be to post asking if another owner wanted to make reservations for each other. Is that allowable somewhere on disboards, even if a fee were associated?

I can see it seems pretty complicated. I'm guessing the easiest way would be to post asking if another owner wanted to make reservations for each other. Is that allowable somewhere on disboards, even if a fee were associated?

We allow people to post points for rent..which is what you would be doing..

I believe that you can add something that offers to accept other reservations in kind.

It would all go through that board. Here is the link to read it all. If you have questions, reach out to @CarolMN or @Chuck S as they oversee it!

https://www.disboards.com/threads/r...ansfer-policies-updated-january-2022.3734006/

We allow people to post points for rent..which is what you would be doing..

I believe that you can add something that offers to accept other reservations in kind.

It would all go through that board. Here is the link to read it all. If you have questions, reach out to @CarolMN or @Chuck S as they oversee it!

https://www.disboards.com/threads/r...ansfer-policies-updated-january-2022.3734006/
Now that you put it that way, I suppose there isn't much benefit to me just renting someone else's points for those stays and renting out my points to pay for it.

Thanks

We no longer allow "Trade Offered" type posts, as it was extremely rare that they worked out, if ever. What you can do is reply into a points for rent thread from the resort you desire, and offer to pay the reservation by transferring points to them. Any other details, like your name, phone, email and so forth would need to be exchanged via private messages and not on the boards.

I had a similar thought a couple of months ago, wanting to use my WDW DVC points for a stay @ DL, after learning all the ins & outs here on DIS I concluded it was too complicated & that I’d just pay cash for a room instead & if I got lucky @ 7 months & via stalking great, if not, oh well.

• Owners may only transfer or receive points from another member one time per use year, not calendar year.
  • Transferred points retain their original use year and home resort priority.
  • You cannot transfer banked or borrowed points.
  • Points transfers are not reversible.
  • Transferred points will expire at the end of the transferor’s use year but can be banked by the transferee.
  • Transferred points cannot be borrowed.
  • Both Transferor and Transferee must be current on their maintenance dues at the time of the transfer.
If I'm understanding everything you put here, it makes a little more sense for me to pay for transfer points from an owner at a DVC resort I want to stay at. That way I still get the 11 month window and can fiddle around with dates and the guests on the reservation without having to bother the original owner? And for Riviera, I get to book there even though my other points are resale restricted?

Yes, transferred points retain their original resort and use year. If you are not qualified for Riviera because you've purchased resale, if you want to stay at Riviera, than I would definitely look for an owner that owns there, rather transfer in from any other legacy owner, even if their points are not restricted.

If I'm understanding everything you put here, it makes a little more sense for me to pay for transfer points from an owner at a DVC resort I want to stay at. That way I still get the 11 month window and can fiddle around with dates and the guests on the reservation without having to bother the original owner? And for Riviera, I get to book there even though my other points are resale restricted?

Yes, that keeps the flexibility for yourself for booking. And if you wish you can rent out your own points to someone to get cash to pay for the transferred points. It's no more complicated than all other rentals or transfers going on. The only thing that can't happen is transfer in and out with someone in the same UY of points but that would be difficult to find someone who happened to want to do that whereas looking for a transfer or even a reservation is relatively easy as is renting out your own points.

There have been a few reports that owners who are not eligible to boom RIV had some trouble with transferred points that are, especially if they are not RIV points.

I don’t remember the outcome but it definitely involved MS. I’d keep this in mind or make sure there won’t be an issue.

There have been a few reports that owners who are not eligible to boom RIV had some trouble with transferred points that are, especially if they are not RIV points.

I don’t remember the outcome but it definitely involved MS. I’d keep this in mind or make sure there won’t be an issue.

Lots of CM's that are confused by transfers. Since the points retain their status there's no way they would have been prevented in the end.

Lots of CM's that are confused by transfers. Since the points retain their status there's no way they would have been prevented in the end.

RIV isn’t an option for booking for those guests, so it isn’t that simple.

I believe the points were not RIV points though so that could also make a difference As well.

I have even read that people who have memberships that don’t have any RIV qualified points can not buy OTU points to use for a night or two there. And OTU points are essentially transferred in points.

So, there is something about having a restricted account with other points.

Last edited:
RIV isn’t an option for booking for those guests, so it isn’t that simple.

I believe the points were not RIV points though so that could also make a difference As well.

I have even read that people who have memberships that don’t have any RIV qualified points can not buy OTU points to use for a night or two there. And OTU points are essentially transferred in points.

So, there is something about having a restricted account with other points.

What I am pointing out is that it isn't a legal restriction - ability to book Riviera is based on the points not the membership and transferred points keep their status. That is one I'd take to the tippy top of management. It shouldn't have to go that high though and those people should have been allowed to use any qualified transferred points to book Riviera.

That people who don't own there can't buy OTU points to stay there is an interesting one though. Perhaps just an example of why Riviera shouldn't have been allowed to join the existing DVC since it did not enter with similar qualities.

What I am pointing out is that it isn't a legal restriction - ability to book Riviera is based on the points not the membership and transferred points keep their status. That is one I'd take to the tippy top of management. It shouldn't have to go that high though and those people should have been allowed to use any qualified transferred points to book Riviera.

That people who don't own there can't buy OTU points to stay there is an interesting one though. Perhaps just an example of why Riviera shouldn't have been allowed to join the existing DVC since it did not enter with similar qualities.

I don’t agree that RIV entrance was not okay because of the way it was structured,,and grandfathered for owners….but off topic.

They carry home resort, that is true, but do they have to carry the grandfathered aspect of it for RIV? I guess that is the big question.

Since we can’t be paid for transfers, it’s not like an owner can complain if they were prevented from using them at RIV, but can at the other resorts.

I wonder if a CM would allow a transfer into an account of RIV points? If that is done, then it could me more of a matter of having to get a supervisor to do the booking.

If it were me, I’d certainly try to get info before making the assumption. Both my memberships are eligible so I can’t even test!

ETA: Here is the most up to date rules. It does mention that not all things transfer, and then specifically adds, including membership benefits. So, I think this could mean they don’t have to allow the grandfathered status to transfer.

Last edited:
I don’t agree that RIV entrance was not okay because of the way it was structured,,and grandfathered for owners….but off topic.

They carry home resort, that is true, but do they have to carry the grandfathered aspect of it for RIV? I guess that is the big question.

Since we can’t be paid for transfers, it’s not like an owner can complain if they were prevented from using them at RIV, but can at the other resorts.

I wonder if a CM would allow a transfer into an account of RIV points? If that is done, then it could me more of a matter of having to get a supervisor to do the booking.

If it were me, I’d certainly try to get info before making the assumption. Both my memberships are eligible so I can’t even test!

ETA: Here is the most up to date rules. It does mention that not all things transfer, and then specifically adds, including membership benefits. So, I think this could mean they don’t have to allow the grandfathered status to transfer.

View attachment 639318

I do not believe that where one can book within DVC itself is a function of a "Club Member benefit program" though is it? It's just a parameter of the point based on the rules in place at the time the point was purchased. They mention Membership Extras and it appears to me that is referencing things like it won't get you into Moonlight Magic if you don't otherwise qualify or won't get 10% off your t-shirt if you don't otherwise qualify

Further down in the rules is the point that is applicable. I have highlighted the applicable part that would mean DVC was not following the transfer rules if they did not allow any qualified transferred points to be used for a stay at Riviera. Whether the Transferee has qualified points or a qualified membership does not matter:

"h. If a Transfer occurs between Club Members from different Home Resorts, the Transferred Home Resort Vacation Points retain all the reservation rights of the Transferring Member. 1) The recipient of the Transferred Home Resort Vacation Points may use them to make a reservation at the Transferring Member’s Home Resort during the Home Resort Priority Period or at other qualified DVC Resorts after the Home Resort Priority Period and any other applicable priority periods. 6 2) The recipient of the Transferred Home Resort Vacation Points may not use the Transferring Member’s Home Resort Vacation Points at the recipient Member’s Home Resort until the end of the Home Resort Priority Period and any other applicable priority periods."

I do not believe that where one can book within DVC itself is a function of a "Club Member benefit program" though is it? It's just a parameter of the point based on the rules in place at the time the point was purchased. They mention Membership Extras and it appears to me that is referencing things like it won't get you into Moonlight Magic if you don't otherwise qualify or won't get 10% off your t-shirt if you don't otherwise qualify

Further down in the rules is the point that is applicable. I have highlighted the applicable part that would mean DVC was not following the transfer rules if they did not allow any qualified transferred points to be used for a stay at Riviera. Whether the Transferee has qualified points or a qualified membership does not matter:

"h. If a Transfer occurs between Club Members from different Home Resorts, the Transferred Home Resort Vacation Points retain all the reservation rights of the Transferring Member. 1) The recipient of the Transferred Home Resort Vacation Points may use them to make a reservation at the Transferring Member’s Home Resort during the Home Resort Priority Period or at other qualified DVC Resorts after the Home Resort Priority Period and any other applicable priority periods. 6 2) The recipient of the Transferred Home Resort Vacation Points may not use the Transferring Member’s Home Resort Vacation Points at the recipient Member’s Home Resort until the end of the Home Resort Priority Period and any other applicable priority periods."

That certainly is an interesting phrase. I can see DVC not selling OTU points, because they can set whatever rules they want. But, from member to member, it may be something that can happen. I am just reporting that some members have had issues but never came back to say what the resolution was so I don't know if it was denied or if it went through.

But, if I was someone who wanted to get a transfer of points (and my own points were not eligible for RIV), I would certainly make sure to get something from DVC for clarification before doing it, if the sole purpose is for RIV alone, since one can not legally pay for the transfer and if there is an issue, one can't use that aspect to complain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter