What is the best low paying job you have had?

I worked at a Strawberries record store. The record companies sent free cassettes of their latest releases hoping we would play them over the store's sound system. We actually had our own cassettes sent to us every week by corporate with whatever we were pushing at the time, but the record companies sent us music anyway. Once a month, we'd go through them and take the ones we wanted. We were also sent store displays and posters of singers and bands that we'd take home, because they were just going to be put out with the trash when we were through displaying them. I was really into U2 at that time and I had fabulous store displays all over my room. I got a great employee discount. I worked there for a year before I started my freelance art career. I loved it.

1. Resident Advisor in my college dorm. It didn't pay money, but I got a (private) room for free, half my meal plan, half my tuition paid, and a paid phone. As a very poor kid, these benefits were worth more than a paycheck to me, and -- with this help -- paying the rest of my college expenses was possible. Plus we had a dinner or an outing every couple weeks, and I loved those. We went white water rafting, played lazer tag, had weekends in the mountains or at the beach --- things I couldn't afford myself.

2. Retail job in a high-end camping store. It only paid minimum wage, but I worked with good people, and I really knew the merchandise. I could just about throw a tent, and -- boom -- it'd be assembled. Customers liked that stuff.

I used to be a dancer for a local minor league baseball team. We did 2 or 3 dances and some promotional activities during the game. The dances and promotional activities took at most 20% of our time clocked in. When we weren't doing that, we were able to walk around and talk with people at the game, get free food from the concession stands, or just hang out in our locker room.

Worked at a doughnut shop part-time during my last 2 years of high school, 1978-1980. We threw out the doughnuts at the end of the day, so often got to take some home.

This thread was fun to read!

My favorite was working at Orange Julius in the mall when I was in high school. It was open to the pedestrian traffic walking through the mall, and being in a small town, everybody would stop and chat. Very social job...loved it! (Also enjoyed drinking the delicious Orange Julius -- especially with added strawberries.)

I enjoyed my time working at Blockbuster. Heck, I have a lot of "cred" now that Blockbuster is so nostalgic and retro-hot! I was there, man, on the front lines. I used to always play family movies with great songs on the TVs too - A Goofy Movie, Mulan, Anastasia. I watched Anastasia the other night and the song over the end credits made me want to pick up an arm-load of VHS tapes and put them on the shelves!
I wasn’t as cool as I only worked in the video department at Pharmore ( drugstore chain). Senior in high school. One guy could carry like 20 plus VHS at a time. We would blast music and screw around. Was fun.

I had jobs where I was paid less, but they weren't fun. The most fun job I've ever had was as a Direct Support Professional in a group home for adults with cognitive and developmental disabilities. I got the job as a way to bring in some income while going to nursing school. I worked with four women who shared a house, and we had so much fun. We played cards, watched sports, cooked, cleaned, went to dances and holiday parties, went shopping, and had so many laughs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter