What is the BEST cruise tip you ever learned from the Dis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jillpie, can you please update your original post with this list ToonFamily put together? Thanks!! :) Thanks so much ToonFamily!! :)

1. if you have to have an inside stateroom, book on deck 7 aft, so you'll have the "secret verandah" to go out and enjoy.
2. the "secret" cat 7 rooms on deck 7 (used to be cat 5)
3. Mickey bars, which aren't listed on the menu but ARE available from room service
4. order room service the night before a port visit, and pack it and take with you as a snack
5. order room service, sandwhichs or go up and and get burgers or chicken strips on Deck 9, put them in ziplocks and bring them with us on our excursions
6. wear your swimsuits under your clothes when boarding, or bring them in a day bag. There are bathrooms right outside Topsiders. Get the pool to yourselves for almost an hour
7. Mickey Mouse wake-up call
8. Purchase pirate gear ahead of time (Party City, etc.)
9. Carry-on beer and wine
10. Re-book on board! Save at least 10% on your next cruise
11. buy your own cruise insurance
12. take a roll of bubble wrap for anything you buy that's breakable
13. laundry pen for t-shirt autographs
14. at Cookies BBQ, the line right in front is sometimes long (facing beach) go around the right side, and you'll find another serving station that is usually empty
15. castawayclub dot com and dcltribute dot com also seem to have good information
16. Feather Pillow - ask your stateroom attendant if you want one
17. Bring extra hangers! there isn't much drawer space in the cabins. or Better yet, leave the hangers at home and ask your stateroom attendent for more
18. Room service cake of the day!
19. Order coffee, etc via room service the night before so it is delivered the next morning
20. Extension cord -- Used ours constantly, iPod, hair dryer, cameras, travel clock, etc., easy to plug things in overnight and take them for the next day
21. take a pillowcase or picture frame or whatever to guest services at the beginning of the cruise and leave it with Sharpies and request just princesses, Fab 6 or all the characters sign it
22. booking excursions on your own, most are very easy to get to on your own and are much cheaper than if you book them through DCL
23. The coffee table raises up to make it easier to sit on couch and eat from room service
24. Arrive 5-10 minutes after your scheduled seating time. There are no points for being the first 50 into the dining room. Avoid the lines and the cattle waiting to be seated
25. Pack half the clothes and twice the cash
26. asking the room steward to remove our coffee table and he did. We didn't use it and it gave us a lot of needed floor space!
27. candy for movies and shows
28. If the ship's stores are closed and you need a toiletry item of some kind for the ladies, like tampons, you can ask at guest services and they will get some out of the back room and give them to you discretely in an envelope. They also have asprin and seasick meds. No charge
29. Bring 2 bungee cords if you have connecting rooms to keep the doors open. They are heavy doors and will not stay open by themselves. If closed you cannot open them from the other stateroom. The cords worked great! You need one for each door.
30. get your bill from guest services midweek, just to see how much you've spent, and also incase they do make a mistake or two.
31. If you are a scrapbooker, the evening before disembarking, pick up extra luggage tags of all the characters - great for your scrapbook pages!
32. Pack ziplock baggies. Order a sandwich or 4 from room service before going on shore and then pack in the baggie - walking around lunch/snacks for on shore. Best of all - "free
33. If you scrapbook - take a plain scrapbook page and pen to dinner one night and have your servers sign them...because you *will* have pictures of them and it is nice to have a memento from them. Do the same for your, travel companions, table mates, room steward and other cast members you associated with often or enjoyed. Take pictures with the cast members, they like knowing you enjoyed their work and efforts.
34. buy the matte, take the cellophane off of it, and bring it on board with you. You can either give it to guest services for the characters to sign (you'll get it back on Friday night of the cruise), or you can take it around by yourself and have it signed by whoever you want throughout the cruise. Very important tip here, have a photo direction (vertical or horizontal) in mind before asking for signatures, that way you'll know which way they should sign. As you get the professional pictures taken throughout your cruise, you can ask the photographer to take them any direction you want.
35. The Glade Flameless candle was a great addition to our stateroom. Not only did it give the room a constant "pleasant" aroma... but it served as a great night light! We also brought along a mini fan. It wasn't used for cooling purposes but worked great as an air cirulator in our inside stateroom.
36. DON'T WAIT IN THE KIDS CLUB REGISTRATION LINE AT THE PORT!!!! Seriously, the line seemed to be over a hundred people long at most times (we were there around 11:00 AM and boarded around 12:30 PM). When you get on the ship just go to the kids club, we went to the Oceaneer's club on Deck 5 and registered in about 5 minutes (and got our pager).
37. you can turn off charge privileges on your kids KTTW card but you can add a preset amount for them to use for smoothies, movie candy, arcade, etc.... this saves them running up big $$ on the room account but they still have some "pocket money".
38. DO YOUR CRUISE DOCS ONLINE AND PRINT THEM OUT!!!! So many people DO the online registration, but they forget to print them out and bring them with them. If you don't print them out, you have to do it all over again at the port
39. give the photographer or his assistant your camera too and ask them to take your picture with it...they will
40. keep piling up your pictures in Shutters, one behind the other, until the end of the cruise. Then you can pick out the best of the best to use with your package.
41. Downy wrinkle spray...works great
42. There is free dramamine in a box outside of the first aid station on deck 1
43. if you have a late seating for dinner on pirate night...don't eat...there is a beautiful buffet on deck

call room service and ask for the special bakery items... there is usually mickey shaped rice crispy treats.. not easily found around the ships..

I usually order a couple and we eat them as snacks off the ship... love the room service... if you want something that is not on the menu always ask... one cruise my mom asked for prune juice and they brought her 5 cans on a silver platter... now that is great service... ONLY ON DISNEY! :goodvibes

Okay, I just got off the Magic today. Already, I am feeling major withdraw. My kids are walking around the house asking to call room service. Anyway, this board was wonderful to me while planning. But I must admit, I drove myself and my family crazy. There is so much information available on this site. What I found most helpful is:

Great tips:
1. Zip lock bags - we used them so much!
2. Clock - there is a clock in the room, but you can't see it when the room is dark.
3. Ordering room service - Just a really nice added touch.
4. FL Tours - Saved us so much money and were wonderful!
5. Get up early on Castaway Cay day. There are plenty of chairs, but if you want a good spot you will need to get there early.
6. Fly in the night before and get to the port by 10:30 on sail day. You will be one of the first allowed on the ship and lets face it, your trip begins when you board!
7. Highlight what you want to do in the Navigator. It will help so you don't miss anything.
8. Bring lots of single dollars. You will need them for tips all over.

Tips I could have used without?
1. Room service- I ordered the cheese tray. Yes it was nice, but nothing to write home about.
2. Duck tape - no use for it at all.
3. Extension cords - not only were there plenty of outlets, but you can get them from guest services if you really need them.
4. Over the door shoe organizers – lets face it, how many shoes are you bringing?

Overall, you can’t do anything wrong. It was the best vacation my family has ever taken!! Have fun!!

Over the door shoe organizers – lets face it, how many shoes are you bringing?

Glad you had a great time!!! Yeah, getting back home can be something of a bummer, but what wonderful memories!

I'd have to disagree with this tip, but only because I didn't put shoes in mine. I used it for all the small stuff that tends to clutter the countertop (i.e., sunscreen, nail clippies, razors, lanyards holding the room keys when not around the kids' necks, etc.). I agree with you that I didn't bring many pairs of shoes but it was really nice to be able to find these things quickly. My OTD hanger was the mesh type that I could see into each pocket to see what was there. That helps a lot.

Of course, as with everything, YMMV (does anyone still say that?).....

I'd have to disagree with this tip, but only because I didn't put shoes in mine. I used it for all the small stuff that tends to clutter the countertop (i.e., sunscreen, nail clippies, razors, lanyards holding the room keys when not around the kids' necks, etc.). I agree with you that I didn't bring many pairs of shoes but it was really nice to be able to find these things quickly. My OTD hanger was the mesh type that I could see into each pocket to see what was there. That helps a lot.

We used ours the same way! Each family member had a row to fill with their toothbrush, hairbrush, etc. Then we had a row with our sunscreen, aloe vera, and other things for everyone. It was great bc if someone was in the bathroom, you could still get to your stuff. I wasn't completely sold on the idea, but it really did help!

Glad you had a great time!!! Yeah, getting back home can be something of a bummer, but what wonderful memories!

Of course, as with everything, YMMV (does anyone still say that?).....

I agree with you also............we used ours all the time for exactly what has been mentioned and there was only DH and I. :goodvibes

Tips I could have used without?
1. Room service- I ordered the cheese tray. Yes it was nice, but nothing to write home about.
2. Duck tape - no use for it at all.
3. Extension cords - not only were there plenty of outlets, but you can get them from guest services if you really need them.
4. Over the door shoe organizers – lets face it, how many shoes are you bringing?

Thanks for the advice -- I really couldn't figure out what the tape was for... And it's nice to know that I don't need to pack an extension cord -- I really don't have the room in my suitcase for it...:)

4. Over the door shoe organizers – lets face it, how many shoes are you bringing?QUOTE]

I also have to disagree :goodvibes It's not so much for shoes, but all the little stuff that stacks up for 4 or 5 of you in a small space....

Suntan Lotions, Sun Glasses, Toothbrushes, Hair Brushes, etc etc etc.

I haven't taken one on our first two cruises, but I definitely can see the benefit. I bought one at the dollar store.

One thing we really enjoyed from a tip long ago is if you have connecting rooms, bungee cords to hold the doors open. This time, I bought door stops that will do the same thing. 3 for $1 at the dollar store.

I have been reading postings on this board for the last several months but just registered today. I have seen several references to "subscribing" to a particular thread. How does that work?

One thing we really enjoyed from a tip long ago is if you have connecting rooms, bungee cords to hold the doors open. This time, I bought door stops that will do the same thing. 3 for $1 at the dollar store.

When we had connecting rooms, we just filled a wastebasket with heavy items and put one by each door. Worked fine as a temporary fix :)

The door stops is a great idea!! :idea:

OK, just finished reading all 40 pages. Wow! We are going on our very first Disney cruise in April 2010. Woohoo!!! I am abit obsessive compulsive when it comes to planning so this thread has been fantastically fuelling my disorder which DH isn't too thrilled about... THanks everyone for passing on your great tips!

I have been reading postings on this board for the last several months but just registered today. I have seen several references to "subscribing" to a particular thread. How does that work?

If you post on a thread (as you have done here, you are automatically subscribed to it). If you've selected e-mail notifications as one of your options when you registered, you will get an e-mail every time someone posts on this thread. Each time you sign on to the DIS, if you click your USERCP you will get a list of all threads that you are subscribed to, that have had activity since the last time you were on. If you click the arrow to the left of the thread name, it will take you to your last post, so you can then see everything that has happened since then.

If you are interested in a particular thread and want to subscribe (especially if you haven't completed reading it all yet) you can go to the 'thread tools', click on the dropdown and select susbscibe to this thread. So you don't have to post, in order to subscribe...something the people who do post and just say 'subscribing' apparently aren't aware of.

You can also 'unsubscribe' to a thread you have posted on using the same function. Sometime I will do this if it's a poll, or someon just wants lots of information from different people...or anytime you are not really interested in addition posts on that topic. Just know when you do this is someone copies your post to ask you a specific question, you will not be aware of it since you no longer subscribe.

Okay, I just got off the Magic today.
.2. Duck tape - no use for it at all.

Overall, you can’t do anything wrong. It was the best vacation my family has ever taken!! Have fun!!

Yes, all of your 8 tips are perfect.

And I agree, the cheese tray is just a cheese tray - I just like it at the end of the day while listening to the ocean, and it sounds blander than it really is.

That duct tape - I mean, really - I think someone thought they were being funny. Or in a "mood". :rolleyes1

But the Clear over the door shoe organizer - I barely notice my shoes on board - it's the
sunscreen
sunglasses
wipes
pirate tattoos
mickey jewelry
hairbrushes
glo bracelets
dry erase pens
lotion
lost sippy cup
medications
"notes" from the art auctions etc. that you don't want to lose

You really want to shove all of this in the same drawer? ;)

This thread is being closed as it has outdated information. A new list has been compiled and is linked in the DIS DCL FAQ thread. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter