What is the benefit of Online checking in?

I didn't know we could check in online, or else I probably would have done so last year when we went.

However, even staying at ASMu, we waited less than 10 minutes to check in, get our packet of info and KTTW. We were also lucky to get ground floor, building 10 which was like a 2 minute walk from the foor court, not to mention about a 3 minute walk to the bus every morning.

I didn't know we could check in online, or else I probably would have done so last year when we went.

However, even staying at ASMu, we waited less than 10 minutes to check in, get our packet of info and KTTW. We were also lucky to get ground floor, building 10 which was like a 2 minute walk from the foor court, not to mention about a 3 minute walk to the bus every morning.

Online checking in wasn't offered when you went last year.
My question is, will a room already be assigned to us at online checking?

...from the previous post that said they bypassed the desk and got right on the line for Magical Express...

Is there any reason that you have to check in for DME? I would love to bypass that long line and get right on our bus - did you find any problem?? 2 yrs ago we waited forever on the DME line and missed 2 buses while waiting. (didnt help much that my husband got lost in the airport, LOL) I would love to skip that - is that possible??

I just left the Polynesian today and we used online check-in. It went without a hitch. I had requested the Fiji Longhouse, 3rd floor overlooking the Marina and that is exactly what I got. The room wasn't quite ready when we checked in at 11am, so we had lunch at the Kona Cafe, and even before we finished I received a text message with out room number and that it was ready.

FYI I did not have to show my credit card at check-in because I had already supplied all the information via the online check-in.

Ernie

I found no advantage to online check-in. We arrived at the airport at 8:15 p.m. & finally got to POR about an hour later. Was Dec 6th & no online check-ins lines were open..wasn't any regular ones open either. Every check-in line was marked pop warner.

When we got helped our pkg. was ready but no room. Finally they found a cleaned room but was the wrong place & wrong floor, etc. So they had to find another room & had to send maid service to clean it. Was after 1:30 in the morning when we finally got a room.

They were nice about the whole mess & gain us credit on our room...BUT online checking sure didn't make things faster for us!

Thank you for making this thread OP! :thumbsup2

I wasn't planning on doing online check-in because I thought it might be easier to just check-in with a human, but it might not be so bad!

Glad to hear that you can bypass the CC option and can also leave requests!

It is ten days before your vacation that you can check-in correct??

...from the previous post that said they bypassed the desk and got right on the line for Magical Express...

Is there any reason that you have to check in for DME? I would love to bypass that long line and get right on our bus - did you find any problem?? 2 yrs ago we waited forever on the DME line and missed 2 buses while waiting. (didnt help much that my husband got lost in the airport, LOL) I would love to skip that - is that possible??

That was me. I can't remember what it was. They asked us if we had something that came with our ME packet. I said yes and they said, well then there's no reason for you to go to the ME desk, you can proceed directly to your bus line. Can't remember what it was, but I'm sure someone on the DIS must remember. Wish I could be more helpful. FWIW, the other times I've taken ME I've had to check in at the desk; this was much more convenient!

That was me. I can't remember what it was. They asked us if we had something that came with our ME packet. I said yes and they said, well then there's no reason for you to go to the ME desk, you can proceed directly to your bus line. Can't remember what it was, but I'm sure someone on the DIS must remember. Wish I could be more helpful. FWIW, the other times I've taken ME I've had to check in at the desk; this was much more convenient!

If you brought the ME voucher you received in your ME packet, you do not have to go to the ME desk. If you forgot or lost your vouchers, you have to check in at the ME desk.

Or, if your luggage did not have the colored tags on them that were sent in your ME packet and the ME people have to search for your luggage by your tag #, you have to go to the ME desk to give them you luggage tag #s to look for your bags. This means your bags will arrive later than usual at your room also.
So, don't leave your colored luggage tags at home when you head to the airport and do not misplace your vouchers!
How do I know these two things? Because I did both on my last trip:rotfl2:

I found no advantage to online check-in. We arrived at the airport at 8:15 p.m. & finally got to POR about an hour later. Was Dec 6th & no online check-ins lines were open..wasn't any regular ones open either. Every check-in line was marked pop warner.

When we got helped our pkg. was ready but no room. Finally they found a cleaned room but was the wrong place & wrong floor, etc. So they had to find another room & had to send maid service to clean it. Was after 1:30 in the morning when we finally got a room.

They were nice about the whole mess & gain us credit on our room...BUT online checking sure didn't make things faster for us!

:scared1:Oh no, Pop Warner, I never want to be there during that!

If you brought the ME voucher you received in your ME packet, you do not have to go to the ME desk. If you forgot or lost your vouchers, you have to check in at the ME desk.

Or, if your luggage did not have the colored tags on them that were sent in your ME packet and the ME people have to search for your luggage by your tag #, you have to go to the ME desk to give them you luggage tag #s to look for your bags. This means your bags will arrive later than usual at your room also.
So, don't leave your colored luggage tags at home when you head to the airport and do not misplace your vouchers!
How do I know these two things? Because I did both on my last trip:rotfl2:

I knew someone would have the answer. I'm just sorry you knew from experience what NOT to do. :flower3:

I had no problems with online check in either on our trip last month. We got to CBR went to the online check in and no one was in line I gave them our last name and was given the packet and on the way. We did have a couple problems with the room b/c it wasn't clean but that didnt have anything to do with the check in process. I will definately do that again.

I really liked online check-in. We used it this past June for our stay at the Beach Club. When we arrived at the Beach Club the hotel lobby was a mad house with people checking in an out and the line at the front desk as HUGE! I mentioned to a CM that I had already done the online check-in and the directed me to a separate place for online check-ins. I got my packet immediately and was off to my room. No waiting. Others were in line for at least 30+ minutes.

Why is everyone not leaving their credit card info?

I don't know about others but I don't use room charging when we are on the dining plan. I've read too many horror stories on the boards about waiters/restaurants accidentally charging the cost of a meal to the room instead of deducting it from the dining points available. Without charging privledges on the KTTW card I don't have to worry about this happening.

If you're the kind of person (like me) that doesn't much care about room location, doesn't have a bunch of questions for the front desk CM, and doesn't need to do any complicated transactions with tickets, room payment, etc. at check-in, then you're probably the ideal candidate for online check-in. IMHO, it's really intended for the grab-your-key-and-packet-and-go traveler.

If you just read the above paragraph and thought "that's SO not me", then online check-in is probably not for you. ;)

Here's the deal....all online check-in does for you is get your paperwork and key prepared before you arrive at the resort. If all you need to do is pick up your key and info packet, it'll very likely save you time.

If you think you'll want to change your room location, or upgrade to a different view, or add a guest, then online check-in won't save you any time at all, because your paperwork and/or keys will have to be re-done.

Online check-in is not a guarantee that your room will be ready when you arrive, BTW.

I don't know about others but I don't use room charging when we are on the dining plan. I've read too many horror stories on the boards about waiters/restaurants accidentally charging the cost of a meal to the room instead of deducting it from the dining points available. Without charging privileges on the KTTW card I don't have to worry about this happening.

We've only had 2 issues in all the years we've had the meal plan. Both times they were quite painlessly fixed at the resort concierge desk.

Once a meal credit was used instead of 2 snacks.
Another time my son used a snack because he asked for a cup.

It is funny cause both of those were fixed as an afterthought. My wife was asking a few questions about the meal plan and just brought up the issues and they were fixed.

One time they charged our meals to our room but my wife caught it at the register so it was fixed then.
We also like room charging because it makes it easier to leave a tip.

another thing you can do is only have room charging privileges on one KTTW card then use the other card for the food.

I did the online check in for my stay last April at the Wilderness Lodge. We were traveling with my husbands father who did not do the online check in. It took me less than 5 minutes to complete the check in once I arrived at the hotel. It took my father-in-law over 30 minutes to complete check in. We had arrived at the resort at the same time. I was actually upgraded to a courtyard view from a woods view. :yay: My father-in-law did not receive such an upgrade.

"I did the online check in for my stay last April at the Wilderness Lodge. We were traveling with my husbands father who did not do the online check in. It took me less than 5 minutes to complete the check in once I arrived at the hotel. It took my father-in-law over 30 minutes to complete check in. We had arrived at the resort at the same time. I was actually upgraded to a courtyard view from a woods view. My father-in-law did not receive such an upgrade. "

I would LOVE to get an upgrade but was assuming my chances were better with a live person rather than the online check in... it seems as i read these boards some people even get upgraded to concierge level!! I want that!:rotfl:

Has anyone found there is more of a chance of upgrade if you use online check in?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter