What is Marrakesh Like?

DeborahA

DIS Veteran
I booked an ADR for Marrakesh in Dec. This is a little out of our comfort zone but it looks like fun. Would anyone like to comment on their experiences there? I would also like to know about the favorites--what should I not miss.
TIA
Deb

7 of us ate there last November. The atmosphere is very nice. The music and dancer are also quite good. The food, although it sounds strange, is very good. You can recognize everything that you eat, it just has different seasonings on them. :thumbsup2

I am not an adventurous person when it comes to food, but I LOVED Restaurant Marrakesh and in fact we'll be having lunch there again next month :)

Here are pictures from our lunch there last year:

P1010309.JPG

P1010311.JPG

P1010312.JPG

P1010313.JPG

P1010314.JPG

P1010315.JPG

P1010316.JPG

P1010321.JPG

We had lunch as a group of 11 and they did a good job bringing everything out to us all together. Most of our group had the lamb dishes and liked them a lot. They have a hot sauce you can request if you are more adventurous than most. The little girls enjoyed a belly dancing lesson from the entertainer. The decorations are good and the staff told us stories about life back home to add to the theming. It was pretty good overall as a dining experience but not among our WDW Top 10.

Morraccan food as served at Marrakesh tends to be sweet mixed with savory. Lots of couscous. Lots of fruit flavors or sweet spices on the meat. For instance, they have an appetizer that is basically hamberger in phyllo pastry dough covered with powered sugar and flavored with (as I recall) cinnamon (that's the sugared eggroll in the picture above). I think its very good, but its kind of "Monte Cristo"-ish - many people are going to be thrown by the sweet/savory thing. Flavors are towards cardamom and cinnamon. The food isn't "hot spicy" and a lot of people are disappointed with that.

Thanks to everyone for the opinions. I am excited to try some new things. Now if Dec. would just hurry up and get here:rolleyes1
Deb

I really enjoyed this restaurant. The beef brewat and the bastilla were my favorites!!! :thumbsup2

When I have lunch there next month (4 weeks from tomorrow!!) I'll take even more pictures of the food and the restaurant itself, and come back and post them. :)

We stumbled in w/o an ADR right before the dinner rush and were one of the first tables. The service was great. Everything was fantastic.....Desert was SO GOOD!!!! The best part for me was the waiter and the belly dancer. Our waiter encouraged our DD 6 to go ahead and dance with the belly dancer. Well soon there was a little group of 5 girls all between 4 and 8 just in complete awe of the bellydancer. So cute! Of course all the parents get to talking and the girls are dancing together...my daughter left the resturant and said "I hope I run into my new friends again"!!!

My husband said the coffee was GOOD!!!!!

We've been to WDW twice & this is the only restaurant we've gone to twice. DH loves it! DD enjoys dancing with the belly dancer too. I think it's good for kids b/c of the interaction with the dancer. Also, they bring the food out relatively quick so it's not a really long dining experience.

I told my husband that it would be a cold day in HECK when I would eat there. Well, it got real cold the first week of June. I decided to make an ADR there for lunch (didn't want to spend any more than I had to if I hated it - and I was ready to HATE it big time) just because I love that man of mine.

The crow tasted very nice.:rotfl: Actually, I had the shishkabob and our son had the chicken kabob. My husband had the lamb. All of the food was excellent. The service was very good and the dancer was lots of fun. We had the dessert (bastilla??) and it was very tasty.

I'd go back again for lunch or dinner.

Yes, if you panic about your options, the chicken and beef kebabs are delicious!

My mother says the Moroccan beer is good.

I am delighted to have found this thread. I was about to cancel my ADR for September...because some of the food pics didn't look so great. After seeing those pics on this thread--I'm excited about eating here!! I really booked the ADR with DBF in mind. He's a much more adventurous diner than I am...plus I figured he might enjoy the belly dancer, lol. Whatever it takes to make him a WDW-lover!

We dined there during our last trip (7/06) & thoroughly enjoyed it! The food is "exotic", but not too exotic. Actually, fans of Middle Eastern food might find the food to be little unadventurous. The bastillas are to die for. I think this place is actually quite kid-friendly. They have a kiddie menu with standard stuff like burgers & chicken fingers & the staff, especially the dancers, go out of their way to include the kids in on all the revelry. My teens enjoyed the food, while my younger nieces loved the belly dancers & were more than pleased with their chicken fingers. Marrakech is A LOT of fun! I would recommend it, even with kids.

We dined at Morocco's restaurant about 2 years ago, too long for me to remember what we ordered, other than to say that overall we had a great time and the food was very good. We had ADR for a late lunch, the place was very empty of other diners, the dancing and music was good, and my DD was way too shy to participate in the dancing. I'm allergic to lamb, and ordered something chicken (what exactly, I can't tell you), and it was delicious and very filling (I didn't clean my plate). I just remember that the chicken was oh-so-tender, and the couscous the best I've ever tasted. DH ordered lamb so I didn't sample from his plate. The recipes were toned down for the American palette, so nothing too exotic or spicy. Though my DH was disappointed that the food wasn't more authentic (he wanted the spices and finger foods I guess), he still rates this restaurant as one of his favorites (after the original Askershus in the pre-princess years and the French Restaurant).

I would definitely go back.

We had a wonderful dinner there last week! I had the chicken couscous (enough for three people)! My husband had the lamb, chicken ke-bab, and fish something. He loved it. One son had the pasta, and the other had the hamburger. They switched plates and enjoyed their meals! The belly dancer was fun, and the music was exotic and nice. The mint iced-tea was interesting, and after a few sips I realized that I really did enjoy it. It's an acquired taste. We did not have dessert because the portion size is enormous!

:)

I'm so happy to hear that the food here is great. DH and I are eating here in November, and I got a little nervous about it after making the ADR and reading some posts on here.

Does anyone have anymore pics of the food?? Would love, love to see them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter