What if I don't want the upgrade?

Lori444

Earning My Ears
With all this talk of "pixie dust" :tinker: and upgrades, it got me thinking...what if I don't WANT the upgrade?? We have selected a particular Cat 6 room that meets our desires...starboard side, midship, full railing verandah. If we were to get upgraded to, let's say, a Cat 4 and the room was located far aft or had a solid wall verandah or something we just don't want, can we tell them "thanks, but no thanks" and get our room back?

I hope I don't come across as an ingrate or anger anyone by asking! It is just that we would rather have a lesser category room that has everything we want versus a room with a few more square feet in a location we are not comfortable with.

Thanks in advance!!

With all this talk of "pixie dust" :tinker: and upgrades, it got me thinking...what if I don't WANT the upgrade?? We have selected a particular Cat 6 room that meets our desires...starboard side, midship, full railing verandah. If we were to get upgraded to, let's say, a Cat 4 and the room was located far aft or had a solid wall verandah or something we just don't want, can we tell them "thanks, but no thanks" and get our room back?

I hope I don't come across as an ingrate or anger anyone by asking! It is just that we would rather have a lesser category room that has everything we want versus a room with a few more square feet in a location we are not comfortable with.

Thanks in advance!!
You can have your reservation marked as "Do not Upgrade". You have every right to refuse an upgrade if you're happy with the cabin you currently have.

Sayhello

I've often put a 'do not upgrade' request on my solo Cat 11's. I picked the location I wanted and would have been unhappy being upgraded to a deck one oceanview.

You will be better off stating "Do not upgrade" on your reservation in advance. By the time you learn of an upgrade, your original room has been assigned to another guest and then you're into a fight with DCL to get your original cabin back.

So...it's much more difficult to learn that you got an upgrade that you don't like and then fight over it than to just specify "do not upgrade" and keep the room that you carefully selected.

Did not know that you can request "Do not upgrade". Good to know and adding that to my growing list of cruise notes. Thanks everyone!

Did not know that you can request "Do not upgrade". Good to know and adding that to my growing list of cruise notes. Thanks everyone!

Well, I have to admit I have never heard of requesting not to be upgraded. And they may honor it. But if you read the cruise contract, they clearly state that they make no guarantees about which stateroom you will get, which ship you will on, they don't even guarantee it will be a Disney ship, and they don't guarantee what ports you will visit, or that you will even stop at any ports.

I completely understand and don't think it's ungrateful to not want to be moved. What is an upgrade to some people can be an unwanted surprise to others.

I booked a specific category because the one we originally wanted to book was at GTY status and we wanted to choose our stateroom. I had my TA put a "do not move" on our cabin. We chose it because it's in the middle of the ship (we're really really worried about sea-sickness) and don't want to be "upgraded" to an area we don't want.

She said that they would most likely move someone else once we wrote that on our reservation -- hope it stays that way.:confused3

This is my favorite clause in the contract..."THE CARRIER DOES NOT EXPRESSLY OR IMPLIEDLY WARRANT, AND SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTY AS TO, (a) THE FITNESS, CONDITION OR SEAWORTHINESS OF THE VESSEL AND (b) THE FITNESS, CONDITION OR MERCHANTABILITY OF ANY FOOD OR DRINK PROVIDED ON BOARD THE VESSEL. THE CARRIER SHALL NOT BE STRICTLY LIABLE IN TORT FOR ANY DEFECT, LACK OF FITNESS, IMPURITY OR CONTAMINATION OF ANY FOOD." Why is it again that I'm so excited and can't wait for my cruise? LOL

I've often put a 'do not upgrade' request on my solo Cat 11's. I picked the location I wanted and would have been unhappy being upgraded to a deck one oceanview.

Don't make me leave my sideways 11 for some crappy room on deck 2, thank you very much.

My TA put a note on my reservation that there were to be no upgrades without checking with TA or me first. We like our room, but we don't want to miss out on a great opportunity if one comes up. Even though we only have a category 11, it's midship on deck 6. We like being on a higher deck midship.

You will be better off stating "Do not upgrade" on your reservation in advance. By the time you learn of an upgrade, your original room has been assigned to another guest and then you're into a fight with DCL to get your original cabin back.

So...it's much more difficult to learn that you got an upgrade that you don't like and then fight over it than to just specify "do not upgrade" and keep the room that you carefully selected.

Did not know you could do that, [state; do not upgrade ], Last sept.2009, we had booked a cat 8. At 21days till sail was offered an upgade to a cat 5, didn't like the location and refused, than 7days from sailing was again offered another upgrade to a cat 6 midship so this time we took the upgrade.So Kcashner you mean to tell me, if we would have refused the second upgrade , we would have lost our cat 8, the one we booked in the begaining.............That's hard to believe.

Did not know you could do that, [state; do not upgrade ], Last sept.2009, we had booked a cat 8. At 21days till sail was offered an upgade to a cat 5, didn't like the location and refused, than 7days from sailing was again offered another upgrade to a cat 6 midship so this time we took the upgrade.So Kcashner you mean to tell me, if we would have refused the second upgrade , we would have lost our cat 8, the one we booked in the begaining.............That's hard to believe.

Don, I don't want to start a fight. I've learned of upgrades in a couple of ways. In one case, my TA called and said I'd been offered a free upgrade; had 24 hours to accept or decline. In another case, I found out that I'd been upgraded when I arrived at the terminal--I gave my name and stateroom number to the security person who confirmed the name and commented that it looked like I'd been upgraded. In that case, I can almost guarantee that my first room had already been assigned to someone else.

Since you were ASKED, I don't think you would have lost your original cabin. But, had you been given an upgrade without a phone call asking you..yeah, I believe they would have reassigned your original cabin before you found out about the new assignment.

I don't know why the difference. Both of my:goodvibes above were from staterooms selected at the time of booking. I've also learned about pseudo-upgrades (from 12gty to 11 or 9 gty to 8) at the time of getting luggage tags or on line--these are a different situation since they were booked as gty originally.

I was lucky enough to get one of the obstructed view cabins on Deck 7 (for both cruises), near the HC room of our traveling companions. I did not want to change from that cabin so I put a "Do not upgrade" on my reservation and it was honored both times.

I always thought that if you requested a particular room you didn't get offered an upgrade . . . learn something new everyday! :surfweb:

Wow, this is very interesting as we were given a so called 'upgrade to the back of the ship on deck 7' from our mid ship deck 6 that we had picked the stateroom ourselves. We called DCL and told them thanks, but no thanks, and they said we could have our original room back. BUT the luggage tags show the upgrade stateroom and we were told to just cross it off and write in our original stateroom...We sail two weeks from today...I just hope all goes well ...

I learned something new today on the Dis...that being you can actually have your ressie noted to 'no upgrade' ... will keep that in mind for our next cruise.

You can also say DO NOT MOVE, people have posted picking out their cabin only to find themselves in another same category when they got their docs. Usually that will keep you in the same room.

My TA put a note on my reservation that there were to be no upgrades without checking with TA or me first. We like our room, but we don't want to miss out on a great opportunity if one comes up. Even though we only have a category 11, it's midship on deck 6. We like being on a higher deck midship.

Thanks for the advice everybody...I have to say this reply quoted above seems like the best way to handle it. I'll run that past my TA and see if she thinks that's the way to go as well. I would love to be asked if I would like to upgrade and have the option to take it or turn it down. Seems the most fair for all...

Thanks again!

I always thought that if you requested a particular room you didn't get offered an upgrade . . . learn something new everyday! :surfweb:

We booked a specific cabin a year in advance. We got a call 10 days before saling telling us we had been moved to a higher category cabin. I didn't talk to Disney, they called my travel agent, so I don't know if the word upgrade was used. Never been upgraded before, and my impression was they could move you anywhere they wanted as long as it was the same category you booked or higher.

We just received an upgrade for the E/B Transatlantic, from a Cat. 7 (Navigator's Verandah) to a Cat. 4. The CM who called asked if it was ok, so I'm guessing I could have refused. We specifically had booked Cat. 7 for the substantial cost difference, but still wanting the verandah space, as well as the thought that the Navigator's verandah would give us that space with less exposure to weather during the crossing. For better or worse, we look forward to leaving April 10th!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter