What I'm Focussed On - Flowers and Gardens

DSCN1529.jpg

I'm not a 'flower person' so I rarely remember to stop and take pictures of them. Luckily I was killing time waiting for my burger on a recent road trip and noticed these.

IMG_8312ed1-L.jpg

Pitjantjatjata name – Malukuru, Common name – Parrot Pea, Botanical name – Crotolaria cunninghamii. It is named after Alan Cunningham, a botanist on King’s expedition to the north west coast of Australia. The bark can be used to weave into rope or used to attach the spear head to the spear. It is often eaten by camels!

Sturt Desert Pea

Swainsona formosa, Sturt's Desert Pea, is an Australian plant in the genus Swainsona, named after English botanist Isaac Swainson, famous for its distinctive blood-red leaf-like flowers, each with a bulbous black centre, or "boss". It is one of Australia's best known wildflowers. It is native to the arid regions of central and north-western Australia. It is the floral emblem for the state of South Australia.

Common name – Wonga Wonga Vine, Botanical name – Pandorea Pandorana

The highly flexible wood of Pandorea pandorana was the most sought-after for use in woomera-cast spears among the people of the Central and Western Deserts. Its versatility allowed short pieces to be spliced together if longer ones could not be found. Due to its cultural significance, a group of mythological women with slender and flexible bodies were named after it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter