What happens if you refuse an 'upgrade'?

I can tell you from personal experience that having your room category changed at the same resort can "throw you for a loop" as well. I've had it happen twice, and both times I was downgraded from a preferred to standard room at the All Star Music. One time I had booked preferred to limit the distance my mom had to walk (she had just had minor surgery) and the second time because I had my 70 something dad along. I would have much rather they upgraded me to a different resort than been downgraded to the back of the resort.:mad:

I'm so sorry that happened to you! But another resort might not be better...I mean, at SSR you could wind up half a mile away from the food court and a good walk from the bus stop, easily. And much of that walk is across roads with traffic and through parking lots.

That really kind of scares me. I've never given any thought to overbooking or how the reservation process works, which is why the whole thing took me by surprise. But when someone bases their vacation around a certain resort it can really throw them for a loop when its changed last minute. I completely understand needing to change room categories in the same resort, but moving them to a different resort is a big deal, in my mind at least.

It's rare for it to happen at the front desk, where you are moved to a different resort. More often it happens in advance, where they contact people already booked and ask if they would like an upgrade to another resort, typically OKW or SSR. It happens more often in the late August/September time period when DVC resorts are not full.

We were also bumped OUT of a preferred room at All Star Sports, then again at All Star Movies. I will never stay there again. We were paying for PREFERRED, not for a room the farthest from the main building. Each time - I had made the reservations at least 6 to 8 months in advance.

We absolutely needed a first floor room (epilepsy) - but were given a 3rd flooor. We needed 2 beds, but were given a King. (Was with adult daughter who I love, but I would like my own bed!)

We asked for a handicapped room, but were given a regular room. This created additional problems for me. We did stay for one night without the HC room, but moved to Pop the next day. The 2nd time it happened, we moved to CSR. We have always gone to Pop, POR, CBR or CSR since then. They always get it right! :thumbsup2

I read some of the replies but not all. I would probably not accept a room/villa if someone had to sleep on a pull out sofa. If you planned for it, ok, but I would not consider a pull out sofa an upgrade.

We stayed at the Amelia Island, FL Ritz Carlton in August. I always request two beds but they are not guaranteed. When we checked in I was given a king bedroom with a pull out sofa chair. I wasn't happy but thought we will try it. When I called housekeeping to make up the pull out, I told her we weren't happy with not having two beds. She said, "these are really comfortable, people actually request them".

Well, after a restless night's sleep at over $500.00 a night, I insisted we be moved the next day. The hotel didn't want to move us due to being full, but fortunately a room opened up with two double beds and we were moved.

I have only slept on one pull out sofa that was actually comfortable. I would probably not take that type of upgrade.

Just so you all are aware, when you book at WDW, you are booked for just that: the Walt Disney World resort. Your preference is the resort you select, but Disney has the right to place you at ANY of the "WDW resort" hotels. It's in the very very fine print.

Being walked to another resort is never the fault of the front desk CMs, so don't take it out on them. It may happen because of 1) computer glitch, 2) call center accidental or intentional overbooking, 3) the previous family didn't vacate the room (yes, it does happen!):scared1: or 4) rooms are taken off the market for engineering/plumbing issues. That's why you can't always stand your ground demanding a room- there may not be a room for the duration of your vacation or you may be one of the last to check in for the day.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question BUT....

If we do the online check in at the resort 10 days before does this mean we can't be bumped as we have already been assigned to a specific room?

Or would it still be a possibility?

I would just be devastated if we got moved from the LM room, we debated between CSR, POR and POFQ but ultimately decided on LM because of the theming and the fact that I love little mermaid :/

If we do the online check in at the resort 10 days before does this mean we can't be bumped as we have already been assigned to a specific room?

I would just be devastated if we got moved from the LM room, we debated between CSR, POR and POFQ but ultimately decided on LM because of the theming and the fact that I love little mermaid :/

You can still be bumped. The last time I was downgraded I had used online check in right at 10 days out. :sad2: Your room is truly not your room until they give you the keys. Up until then, it can be put back into inventory and given to someone else.

Oh dear :( thanks for the info.

A bit worrying as our flight is likely to be one that will arrive in the afternoon :/ I understand it can't be helped though and ill just have to hope for the best....

We've always done online check-in, and we've had our room changed twice so far (once was an upgrade to CL, the other time, well, this move from POFQ to SSR).

I don't think you should worry though! Being bumped around the same resort is slightly more common, but that still doesn't mean it's likely. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

When you do online check-in, it does not assign a room. All it does is pre-register your information.

DebbieB said:
When you do online check-in, it does not assign a room. All it does is pre-register your information.

Sorry I was just going off what I'd previously read, I assumed when people said all your information was prepared for you just to collect, it meant a room had already been assigned.

I've never planned any holiday before never mind a WDW world one so I'm very lacking in knowledge

My mistake

Sorry I was just going off what I'd previously read, I assumed when people said all your information was prepared for you just to collect, it meant a room had already been assigned.

I've never planned any holiday before never mind a WDW world one so I'm very lacking in knowledge

My mistake

Rooms are pre-assigned a few days out. However, until you are in your room they are still free to take that room from you and give it to someone else.

Don't think you are asking silly questions. None of us were born knowing this stuff! And there is a lot to know!

My mistake

It is assigned before you get there but not at the moment you do the online check-in.

Don't be afraid to ask questions here! :wave2:

Rooms are pre-assigned a few days out. However, until you are in your room they are still free to take that room from you and give it to someone else.

Don't think you are asking silly questions. None of us were born knowing this stuff! And there is a lot to know!

It is assigned before you get there but not at the moment you do the online check-in.

Don't be afraid to ask questions here! :wave2:

I'm planning well in advance for a 2014 trip, it won't be my first trip to the world but it will be my first one staying onsite and the first one i've had the responsibility of planning :confused3

Just making a list of all my questions at the minute then will start asking closer to the time :lmao:

This thread just caught my eye and sent me into a bit of a panic lol

I just don't feel the same. We live a half hour from WDW, so I don't need a "home away from home" feeling in my Disney resort. I'd never pick a generic-looking room in an apartment-like resort simply because it's bigger and has more space. If all I cared about was a living room, kitchen, and giant tub, I'd just commute to the parks from the comfort of my own home. My favorite resorts are ones that offer a true "vacation" feel to me, AKL and BC. And I love the fun, bright themes at the value resorts. I'd honestly rather have stayed at one of them than at SSR. And I do wish I had tried to make that happen. My DB is an owner at SSR, and I endured a stay there with them back in 2008, so I already knew my feelings on the resort. That's my mistake.

I hear you. I mean AKL & BW are my favorite (AKL is my home) and I stayed at SSR and I didn't Love it, but I guess for us (we are from NY but a few hours from SS) I would just rather have the room, as the values do not appeal to me at all. I guess you can ask for another hotel? OKW or Bw as those tend to not sell out as much as AKL or BLT which are very hard to book?

It doesn't hurt to try and ask for another resort that is a DVC..all they can say is no. Tell them you stayed at SSR and you would rather not stay there from a past experience. I am sure they will accommodate you. Good luck.

Thanks for the input all. We checked out today. Now I know that if it happens again I can simply refuse and they will offer the "upgrade" to the next person attempting to check in. I was just kind of blindsided and when I heard "overbooked" it sounded like we had no choice, but I realize now that they likely would have had a room for us if we had stayed, but would have needed one of the next guests to accept the move to SSR.

SSR didn't "ruin" our vacation, but it did change it. We live so close to Disney that when we book a room (and we book rooms because we LOVE Disney resorts), we kind of WANT that "in your face" Disney feeling that others seem to hate. Staying in SSR is pretty much like driving from a local apartment complex. Everything is so spread out and far away, the theme non-existent, and the buildings are at such low capacity that we never, not once, saw anyone on the elevator or stairs or outside rooms in our entire building during our stay. It was such a weirdly remote, non-Disney experience.

Again, thanks for the input all.

From someone else who lives very near Disney :)- I agree with your assessment of SSR in that it can feel like a "local" apartment rather than "in your face Disney" - when I stayed there I had similar thoughts about it. I enjoyed my stay but wasn't in love with it. AKL is my favorite resort right now because it is so unique.:goodvibes I too like to book Disney resorts every now and again and appreciate each one for different reasons. In the world of "Disney Resorts" it may be an "upgrade" it doesn't necessarily mean it is to the person receiving it depending on what they are looking for in a resort at any given time. Anyway - glad you had a good stay regardless!pixiedust:

Oh good, something else for me to worry about from now until our check-in in......14 days!!:hourglass Lol hope everyone on this thread gets the room/resort they booked!

Oh good, something else for me to worry about from now until our check-in in......14 days!!:hourglass Lol hope everyone on this thread gets the room/resort they booked!

whoa there.. not necessarily! I'd really rather be upgraded to almost anywhere than get my room. I am not complaining, because after all, it's WDW, and it's what I was able to afford. But an upgrade would be SUPER AWESOME, and I won't complain about anywhere they want to move me. pixiedust:

whoa there.. not necessarily! I'd really rather be upgraded to almost anywhere than get my room. I am not complaining, because after all, it's WDW, and it's what I was able to afford. But an upgrade would be SUPER AWESOME, and I won't complain about anywhere they want to move me. pixiedust:

There have been reports of downgrades. Your preferred room is not available, we put you in standard. It's rare to happen, but it can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter