What Happens at the Beach Club... Travels with Teens, Take Two, (PTR) 4/6 p. 29

Happy birthday, Dee. I hope you get a proper birthday celebration on this busy holiday. :)

I love reading about your Dismeet. DH and I met three of the attendees last week, which was really fun. I can't wait to hear more about the evening. :)

Sounds like NM and Mr NM could have handled any and all situations swiftly and appropriately unless of course NM was causing the bother in which case Mr NM would do the sensible thing for the sake of self-preservation and pretend not to notice :rotfl2:

BINGO! That's exactly what he would do!!

That was an excellent update Dee! The detailed history of the Dis meets was delicious!

~NM

Happy birthday, Dee. I hope you get a proper birthday celebration on this busy holiday. :)

I love reading about your Dismeet. DH and I met three of the attendees last week, which was really fun. I can't wait to hear more about the evening. :)

Glad you enjoyed the update and I'm glad you got to meet with a few of those special friends during your trip. Such a great group!

Thank you! I had a nice day. At work, my manager Arleen gave me flowers (a gorgeous BOO-quet) and I was there for the arrival of our new horse Sukey. A friend took me to lunch. Mark and I went out with Ben and his friends for what is probably his final Trick or Treat. And on Monday night, a group of my girlfriends are taking me out for a drink or two. I'm really looking forward to that!

:thumbsup2

Happy Birthday Dee

Thank you Kathy! I appreciate the birthday wishes!

:flower3:

BINGO! That's exactly what he would do!!

That was an excellent update Dee! The detailed history of the Dis meets was delicious!

~NM

That's how he has survived this long!

Thanks, glad you like the stroll down Memory Lane, Beach Club style!

:goodvibes:

Just in case you happened to miss the previous update, which was the entire reason for this trip:

EPIC DISMeet!

The Crew at Crew’s Cup:

This is another update that will be sparse of photos, and the ones I have are not really that great.

But on we go.

We had finished with our “official meet” and we were getting hungry! As I mentioned, some people went off on their own way, but there were still 14 of us, including some of the spouses who hadn’t joined in on our meet, who decided to stick together.

We discussed where we might possibly all be able to go- Captain’s Grille was the obvious answer. This restaurant is excellent, but really flies under the radar. I have never seen a time when reservations were needed to get in.

But apparently, 8:30 pm with 14 people was one of those times. They told us it would be a 45 minute wait for a table.

Um. No. :sad2:

We regrouped and decided we would try Crews Cup. This is the bar at the Yacht Club associated with the Captain’s Grille and Yachtsman Steakhouse. I have heard from several sources that the food is really good here. Teena raves about the burgers.

We entered and pulled several tables together.

Once again, we all had an amazing time chatting and laughing.

Good thing, too, because the service was slow. Excruciatingly slow…

Took awhile to get menus, then the drink orders. It took forever for our drinks to be delivered and then for the food to come out.

We totally overwhelmed the bar and apparently the kitchen, too.

I did enjoy my drink, which I ordered in song and with a seat dance.

“I’ll have a Pina Colava” :music:

Apologies to Rupert Holmes for butchering his famous song.

The food was another matter.

I was tempted by the burger, but I didn’t want something that heavy that late. I found that a lot on the trip, maybe it was the heat. I tried to stick to something light.

I ordered the House-cut Truffle Fries with Roasted Shallot Mayonnaise and the Clam Chowder.

My tablemates were amused by the condiments that came with their burgers

The food was ok, but was not nearly hot enough by the time it was delivered to the table. Teena and Rebecca, on either side of me, both got burgers and raved about them. Oh, well.

It wasn’t about the food, anyway.

Damn! This Traffic Jam:

Robyn was not one of the crew at Crew’s Cup, but at 9:30, she texted me and asked if we wanted to stick around for a drink so she could join up with us.

Of course!

Teena left around 10:30. I heard from her about 20 minutes later. There was an accident on I-192 and traffic was not moving. An hour into her drive home, she was only 2 miles off of Disney property. At the two hour mark, she was still on I-192. Finally, at 12:46 am, I got the text that Teena had arrived home. The ride that normally is about 45 minutes took over 2 hours.

I felt so bad for her, knowing she had worked all day, then came to the meet and for dinner and then had such an ordeal getting home.

But my heart warmed when I got the following text from her the next morning at 8:45:

“Just woke up. Loved last night!!!!”

:hug:

Stumbling Across a Secret:

Meanwhile, back at the bar…

As wonderful as the whole night was, it was time to say our goodbyes.

Remember, about 24 hours ago, we had the late night fire drill.

Since that time, my day was filled with the breakfast club at Captain’s Grille, Stormalong Bay Synchronized Pool Team swim practice, storming the Presidential Suite, lunch and afternoon fun in EPCOT, an hour in the SAB lazy river, a magical meet, and sharing a drink with the crew at the Crew’s Cup.

Rebecca and I walked NinjaMom back to her room. Along the way we encountered a test run of some of the new décor that they were trying at the Beach Club for the upcoming (ongoing) refurbishment.

Blue is my favorite color and I really liked what I saw!

In this picture, you can see the current beach/Nemo-themed carpeting at the top in the narrow hallway, and the proposed carpeting in the lower part of the picture and the next one.

The imagineers are still trying to decide whether or not to include this piece of décor. They need to replace the famous Fish Lamp with something.

Fulfilling a 5 Year Old Promise:

We got back to our room around midnight. But we weren’t quite yet ready to call it a night.

Rebecca and I got talking about our DIShistory. One of our discussions led me into my DISboards private message box. As many of you know, and are amused by the fact (looking at you, Janetmom), I don’t like to delete the messages I receive. And lo-and-behold, the original message I sent to HockeyMomR on was still in there:

July 2009:

Originally Posted by natebenma
Would you like to add any pictures to Teena's album? Details below:

If so, my e-mail address is *****@.com

We returned on Saturday from an awesome week-long trip staying at the Beach Club. Before we left for the trip, I decided at the last minute that I would put together a photo album for TeenaS, whose frequent posts about the Beach Club have been helpful to so many of us.

I PM'ed a few of the frequent or recent posters to this board, and asked if they would e-mail me a couple of photos of their family at Disney, or at the Beach Club or with Teena. I printed out the pictures and put them into the slip-in album. Teena was SO appreciative of the book when I gave it to her at check-in. She said it was nice to have a reminder of the wonderful people she has met and to be able to put a face to a "screen name/avatar" of the people who write into the board.

I tried to include 4 photos per family on each page, I printed out the avatar and wrote screen names, and if the family provided their names/hometown, I included that, too.

I told Teena I would maintain this book for her, and send photos to her if BC visitors/posters want to add their photos. You can provide me with your real name if you want, or not. Please note that this book is just for Teena, not shared with the public, if you have privacy concerns.

Thanks! Look forward to hearing from you!

Dee (Natebenma)

And the response:

From HockeyMomR

I would be interested. I recently started a new job that is keeping me very busy in addition to keeping up with my home and family.

I would like to get some old pictures scanned as we have been going to the beach club since January 2001. I think it would be fun to give Teena a couple of pics of my boys "growing up" at the BC, just need to find the time.

It is very thoughtful of you to make this book for Teena and collect the pics!!

As I teased Rebecca in the previous post- I wonder if I will ever get those photos.

The answer is “YES!” She went into her photo account that very night and emailed some pictures of her family from a past trip to me.

:woohoo:

Now the ball is in my court… I need to print them out and send them to Teena.

“Waiter, there’s a fly in my breakfast”

Click here for the next chapter

Your group of fourteen must have taken up a third of the Crew's Cup Lounge. It isn't a very big place. :)

My husband agrees with Teena about the burgers there. They are really good and the price is right, too. :thumbsup2 I've had the clam chowder a couple of times and really like it. We haven't tried the truffle fries yet, even though Ninja Mom was trying to persuade us to order them.

What a busy day you had. :faint: But I can't think of a better way to take advantage of your short Disney trip. :goodvibes

Haha, some people left but there were still 14!! Now THAT is a DISmeet. :thumbsup2

Oh my I am so glad there hasn't been any major backups on the 192 when I stayed offsite. I imagine it would be a nightmare.

WOW, for a short trip, you really are cramming a ton into it. Well done Dee!!

Dee - was truly a fun night. And ugh, felt so bad for Teena on her way home.

Do you think they will use that piece of decor with the new renovation? It is color coordinated!

Better late than never with the pictures. :) That was such a fun evening going through old posts and PM's. Time really does fly!

Rebecca

The Crew at Crew’s Cup:

This is another update that will be sparse of photos, and the ones I have are not really that great.

My tablemates were amused by the condiments that came with their burgers

The imagineers are still trying to decide whether or not to include this piece of décor. They need to replace the famous Fish Lamp with something.

You've done another great job of capturing our meet. It is surprising how few photos were taken, but that is mainly due to the fact that we were all talking non-stop. The Crew's Cup post meet was a highlight of our trip!

And yes, we did were amused by the tiny condiments. What's not to love about an itty bitty bottle of ketchup.

And my final observation... The legs on that bit of decor are a knock out and would be a great landmark to replace the Fish Lamp!

J

And my final observation... The legs on that bit of decor are a knock out and would be a great landmark to replace the Fish Lamp!

INDEED! Who is that sexy vixen and is that a spray on tan or was an industiral sized bucket-o-bronzer used??

~NM

Brilliant update :thumbsup2
Awesome meets- love that after some left there were still 14 of you heading to Crews Cup (love their buffalo nuggets btw). What can I say about the new decor except wow! Obviously that stunning piece of furniture should be included with life-size replicas on each floor (and if they want to stick a little bit of animatronic engineering in there so it can scare the bejeepers out of unsuspecting guests well so much the better):lmao:
Poor Teena had a long day but it says a lot that the first thing she did when she awoke was txt you saying how wonderful the night had been :goodvibes
I,like you, have a very loving family who don't quite "get it" so I can totally see the attraction in going solo for this trip and loving every minute without having to accommodate family ;) So glad everything worked out brilliantly and have to say I'm not at al surprised that you found Rebecca's message in your superbly organised, never a message deleted, inbox :rotfl2::rotfl2:

Hmm too bad the Captain's Grille couldn't easily accomodate all 14 of you, but sounds like Crew's Cup was a pretty good alternative!

Except for...
Once again, we all had an amazing time chatting and laughing.

Good thing, too, because the service was slow. Excruciatingly slow…

Yikes! Not good. I'd like to say that they probably aren't used to a big crowd but seriously, it's Disney. There's crowds.
Poor Teena, nothing worse than being stuck in traffic after a long day. (Or so I assume. You should see how tiny my home town is. A traffic jam here is 5 minutes. :rotfl: )
I've never been to the BC so having no nostalgic ties to the old carpet I was able to come to an un-biased conclusion :rotfl: -- I LOVE the new carpet! So pretty!

What a wonderful evening together!

Your group of fourteen must have taken up a third of the Crew's Cup Lounge. It isn't a very big place. :)

My husband agrees with Teena about the burgers there. They are really good and the price is right, too. :thumbsup2 I've had the clam chowder a couple of times and really like it. We haven't tried the truffle fries yet, even though Ninja Mom was trying to persuade us to order them.

What a busy day you had. :faint: But I can't think of a better way to take advantage of your short Disney trip. :goodvibes

Yes, we took up quite a bit of the lounge. I think a third is just about right.

Wish I had tried the burger. It would have been perfect if someone split one with me because I was not as hungry as I usually am.

Yup, it was a really busy, unbelievably fun, long and totally satisfying day!

:banana::banana::banana:

Haha, some people left but there were still 14!! Now THAT is a DISmeet. :thumbsup2

Oh my I am so glad there hasn't been any major backups on the 192 when I stayed offsite. I imagine it would be a nightmare.

WOW, for a short trip, you really are cramming a ton into it. Well done Dee!!

We were quite a group!

It was an awful ride home for Teena and she was giving me the blow by blow as it was happening (or not happening). I felt so bad for her!

I was very happy with what I did that day. It was my only full Disney day on that trip, and it certainly was FULL!

:thumbsup2

Dee - was truly a fun night. And ugh, felt so bad for Teena on her way home.

Do you think they will use that piece of decor with the new renovation? It is color coordinated!

Better late than never with the pictures. :) That was such a fun evening going through old posts and PM's. Time really does fly!

Rebecca

It was a great night. I loved being together with the group, and I loved reminiscing with you!

I think that piece of décor is set out occasionally. It is not there all the time, but seems to be there more and more often lately.

:lmao:

You've done another great job of capturing our meet. It is surprising how few photos were taken, but that is mainly due to the fact that we were all talking non-stop. The Crew's Cup post meet was a highlight of our trip!

And yes, we did were amused by the tiny condiments. What's not to love about an itty bitty bottle of ketchup.

Thank you!

Not many photos, but lots of great memories.

Can't remember- did one of those little bottles of ketchup go home with you?

Let's stuff that suggestion box and get that piece of décor to be a permanent fixture.

:rotfl2:

INDEED! Who is that sexy vixen and is that a spray on tan or was an industiral sized bucket-o-bronzer used??

~NM

You tell us!

;)

Brilliant update :thumbsup2
Awesome meets- love that after some left there were still 14 of you heading to Crews Cup (love their buffalo nuggets btw). What can I say about the new decor except wow! Obviously that stunning piece of furniture should be included with life-size replicas on each floor (and if they want to stick a little bit of animatronic engineering in there so it can scare the bejeepers out of unsuspecting guests well so much the better):lmao:
Poor Teena had a long day but it says a lot that the first thing she did when she awoke was txt you saying how wonderful the night had been :goodvibes
I,like you, have a very loving family who don't quite "get it" so I can totally see the attraction in going solo for this trip and loving every minute without having to accommodate family ;) So glad everything worked out brilliantly and have to say I'm not at al surprised that you found Rebecca's message in your superbly organised, never a message deleted, inbox :rotfl2::rotfl2:

We were not ready to call it quits when the meet was over.

OK, adding motion to the décor- the image you described cannot be unseen!

:scared1:

Every once and a while I will go back and look at some of my old messages. It is funny to see the initial interactions with some folks who have become dear friends!

:)

Hmm too bad the Captain's Grille couldn't easily accomodate all 14 of you, but sounds like Crew's Cup was a pretty good alternative!

Except for...

Yikes! Not good. I'd like to say that they probably aren't used to a big crowd but seriously, it's Disney. There's crowds.
Poor Teena, nothing worse than being stuck in traffic after a long day. (Or so I assume. You should see how tiny my home town is. A traffic jam here is 5 minutes. :rotfl: )
I've never been to the BC so having no nostalgic ties to the old carpet I was able to come to an un-biased conclusion :rotfl: -- I LOVE the new carpet! So pretty!

What a wonderful evening together!

There certainly would have been more room at Captain's Grille, and a bigger menu. Quicker service, most likely. I think there was only one poor waitress working at the Crews Cup lounge and I am sure we were straining their resources.

The new carpet samples seem very sophisticated to me. The former carpeting was more cutesy.

:goodvibes

Can't remember- did one of those little bottles of ketchup go home with you?

Well yes, one of those little bottles might be found right now in my apartment.

I'm doing a fun gift exchange with a friend this year where we are giving each other an advent calendar of 24 gifts. We can only spend $24 total so we need to come up with a variety of items that are free to help fill up the 24 days. A cute little bottle of ketchup may be sitting in my advent calendar gift pile.

Dee, what a fun evening. Sorry you couldn't get into Captain's Grille (I remember we had a wait in December when there were 7 of us...I think it was about 30 minutes), but glad you found another option. Too bad about the slow service though. Guess you should have come with the hamburger?

I like the new carpet at the Beach Club...very pretty. And I think that the "new" decor is perfect!

Well yes, one of those little bottles might be found right now in my apartment.
:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:
I'm doing a fun gift exchange with a friend this year where we are giving each other an advent calendar of 24 gifts. We can only spend $24 total so we need to come up with a variety of items that are free to help fill up the 24 days. A cute little bottle of ketchup may be sitting in my advent calendar gift pile.

Love this idea :thumbsup2 Hope you don't mind if I steal it? Think it might be fun to do with my grown up daughter :goodvibes

Sorry Dee I've been MIA from here and the DIS altogether. Every time I think I may have a moment I start and get called away. The official and unofficial meets look like everyone had a great time! Sorry it took forever to get the food but it's all about the incredible company :hug: yay

Love this idea :thumbsup2 Hope you don't mind if I steal it? Think it might be fun to do with my grown up daughter :goodvibes

It has been a fun thing to do so by all means steal it. Our rules are that we can only spend $24 (before tax). I've used the money to buy some treats and some supplies to make a nice gift for the last day, but haven't been able to come up with 24 nice things for just $24, so many of the gifts are no cost items. We have agreed that freebies, leftover items found around the house and regifting are all fair play. So in addition to Captain's Grill ketchup, there will be some Disney soap and shampoo in the mix, as well as other items found around my house.

It has been a fun thing to do so by all means steal it. Our rules are that we can only spend $24 (before tax). I've used the money to buy some treats and some supplies to make a nice gift for the last day, but haven't been able to come up with 24 nice things for just $24, so many of the gifts are no cost items. We have agreed that freebies, leftover items found around the house and regifting are all fair play. So in addition to Captain's Grill ketchup, there will be some Disney soap and shampoo in the mix, as well as other items found around my house.

Brilliant plan :thumbsup2 My daughter loves it too so we are going to stick with £24 (everything here is priced with taxes included so is probably much the same as you're spending) and have agreed that freebies etc are all fair play:) Has made us both excited for Christmas!. Thank-you. Now to start putting it all together :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!