What for sons while daughter meets princesses?

birthygirl

Mouseketeer
We have 3 kids who, at the time of vacation, will be 11, 9 and 7. Our two oldest are boys who have been to WDW once before and the youngest is our daughter who has not been. The boys don't care about characters, but DD desperately wants to meet as many princesses as possible (especially Ana, Elsa and Elena). We are doing a princess breakfast at Akershus so she will get to meet several there and plan to head on over to meet Ana and Elsa right after breakfast (ADR is for 8:05).

So aside from that one, what would you do with the boys during character meets? These are possibly the only times we will separate and they don't really want to do anything that she wouldn't also enjoy.

At Epcot, I would suggest they do one of the Perry Missions. I understand they take about 30 minutes each, and there are several they can do.

At MK there is Sorcers of the Magic Kingdom that they could play. You sign up at the Firehouse on Main Street. Missions are 20-30 minutes long.

I believe both games are free to play, and sound like fun for young boys.

Agree with PP.

There is also the Pirate Treasure Hunt thing in Adventureland that is pretty cool. If you do all of the hunts, I think about 5, last I heard you got a FP+ to Pirates, but it's fun and interactive even if not. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/magic-kingdom/pirates-adventures/

You could also pick up the Hidden Mickey Book. Great for that age, they could do hunts for the Mickey's in what ever area you are doing Meet & Greet. We carried everywhere so you will find yourself looking in hotels and more.

https://www.amazon.com/Hidden-Mickeys-Disney-World®s-Secrets/dp/1937011291

I love the Hidden Mickey Book idea!

They've told her all about Agent P Missions and the treasure hunt thing and she's excited for both so I don't know we'll do those without her. The book will be perfect though so they can kinda stay close!

Thanks!

I brought my daughter to CRT for lunch one day at MK and my husband took the 3 boys to Tom Sawyer Island. They packed lunches and had picnics on the island!

I was sort of a mean mom because I made my boys meet princesses most of the time. :) The little boys were fine with that, but my oldest son was annoyed and said it was embarrassing (he's only 8!). I just told him it was important to me that we did some of these things as a family and he ended up being ok with it. There was one Ariel M&G that half the family went to meet her and the other half went on a ride, but generally we stayed together.

honestly for the time it would take I would probably bring them along, the princesses are awesome with boys. Or appoint them as the family photographers and to get pics for you. If they are not going to the breakfast either though, i would then just do Agent P missions, my older kids love those.

We did a princess day & it was the only time we split up. The girls did bibbidi bobbidi boutique, lunch at cinderella's castle, & princess meets. The boys (10, 8) were NOT cool with tagging along so we split up & my husband took the boys. I had their favorite rides fast passed & the pirates league scheduled for them. We met back up around dinner time. Everyone was happy :)

I agree that bringing them along might be the best solution - but here are some other options:
  • See the model train in Germany
  • Play the drums in Morocco
  • Get snacks! Because, I don't know a boy that age that is ever full!
The Agent P missions are broken up into small steps so your daughter might miss a step or two, depending on lines, but she'd still get to experience it.

I would just walk around and visit the other countries. There are things to see & do in most of them. My kids love all the gift shops in each country, especially Norway & Mexico. The one in Japan was cool too. There are so many great details in each country to check out. Agent P missions are awesome, esp at night. We would walk around and get a drink & kids would do a mission.

If your ADR is for 8:05, unless it's an EMH morning, the park won't be open. There won't be anything for them to do that I can think of, and most areas will be roped off.

Have them walk around the Boardwalk resort and they can grab breakfast at the Boardwalk bakery?

The boys are going to breakfast with us. I really meant in general for all the parks not just at Epcot. She will be meeting several princesses there so maybe we won't do a lot of other ones, but I know the boys will just not be interested in character meets. We don't plan to wait too long for any of them, so I love the Hidden Mickey book idea because they can stay fairly close and they can do that as necessary for any amount of time.

I could have worded my question better I guess.

Thank you for all the suggestions!

If the lines aren't that long, I would just make them go with her. They don't have to get photos if they aren't interested. My oldest sometime gets tired of the meet and greets (esp. the Disney Jr. ones) we do for her little sister. I remind her that her little sister went to her Jedi Training Show and to Launch Bay even though it really isn't' her thing. We try to all stay together if possible, but I get that doesn't work for everyone.

You could spend a designated morning or afternoon just doing meet and greets with her and let the boys do other attractions and then meet back up later though.

We have 3 kids who, at the time of vacation, will be 11, 9 and 7. Our two oldest are boys who have been to WDW once before and the youngest is our daughter who has not been. The boys don't care about characters, but DD desperately wants to meet as many princesses as possible (especially Ana, Elsa and Elena). We are doing a princess breakfast at Akershus so she will get to meet several there and plan to head on over to meet Ana and Elsa right after breakfast (ADR is for 8:05).

So aside from that one, what would you do with the boys during character meets? These are possibly the only times we will separate and they don't really want to do anything that she wouldn't also enjoy.

How about if they play Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom? Or maybe in HS they could do the Jedi Training?

Do they have at least one phone they can take with them? Let them go do what they want, then meet back up. They can always go again with DD. At 11 and 9 I would give my boys quite a bit of freedom to do an attraction while we do something else. There isn't much worse than waiting in line with an 11 year old that has no interest in what is at the end.

Another vote for the Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom! Kids loved it.

I would also highly recommend Epcot to meet Baymax! He is 'Legit' and while it was top of the list for my boy, it ended up being awesome for my older girls too! Mine are 11,7,5 (2 oldest are girls) so we have similar problems. We find that the girls love meeting the characters he likes too.. StarWars! Although Kylo Ren was bit intimidating lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter