What do you wish was socially acceptable?

My 14 year old son "bounds" frequently as Disney and Super Mario characters. He buys solid color baseball caps from Michaels and uses fabric paint to create "character heads" then wears coordinating clothing in the character's color. He dresses like this every single day, to some extent. It's always very obvious "who" he is being. Everyone who sees him figures it out and LOVES it. He even coordinates his masks to match! His teacher told me that he loves it, and it shows how genuinely creative my son is, and it's "so much fun!" I love that my son doesn't give two flips about "being cool" or wearing the popular clothing brands. Luckily, where we live, it is very much socially accepted to dress like this, as it is a very tolerant and open minded city.
Love it. My 22yo planned so many Disney-bounding outfits for our last trip that she had to change mid-afternoon each day so she could wear them all. My kids have all been very "different" in their clothing choices, and both my husband and I were when we were in high school as well.

But maybe if more people would actually wear it like anyday clothing, it would become acceptable as a style, not only as a cosplay.
I have several retro 50s/60s style dresses and I wish it was more acceptable to wear them every day. They are comfortable and much more flattering for my figure than anything else I have worn. I did wear one for my work Christmas dinner this year, but decided the petticoat underneath was a bit too much.

Agree with the non drinking thing. I am ok with it but I will get a migraine and sometimes I just don't want one, the judgement for non drinking is unbelievable. I feel people push it to see if I am in detox or something, which makes my heart break for people who are trying to stay clean. If it's not this then I feel pushed because the people who do drink think I am disapproving... there is no win. Maybe I don't want to share that I get migraines but this seems to be the only way, so much peer pressure that I often give in, which is why I get the high fail rate for staying clean, the construct is mind numbing.

As a person with migraines and has a small pharmacy of migraine/seizure meds, when people pester me about drinking, I give them the best Cheshire Cat grin I can muster and sing about how one pill will cause one effect with one special drink, another with a cocktail....usually by the 3rd pill they've gotten the message, I can't drink if I'd like to keep my migraines under control.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter