What do you think?

conciergekelly

DIS Veteran
Does anyone think or know if other timeshare owners love and defend their timeshare like those in DVC. Do Marroit or others owners do the same? Most people I know that have a timeshare and regret it and never go. I think that we are all lucky to have a program that we all enjoy this much. What do you think? :goodvibes

There's a big difference in Timeshares. You have companies such as Disney, Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, all 1st class timeshares.

Then you have mostly everybody else who range from absolutely terrible to good or even very good, but not quite in the same caliber as those listed above.

There are numerous timeshares in the WDW surrounding area, but I would consider only a handful of them comparable to DVC, such as the Hilton. The main difference is where they're not actually at Disney, they make up for it by being first class resorts.

We own Marriott and are very happy with it. One advantage to that is we are members of Interval International, and can take advantage of their getaway programs. While Disney trades through II, DVC owners are not directly members of II.

conciergekelly said:
Does anyone think or know if other timeshare owners love and defend their timeshare like those in DVC. Do Marroit or others owners do the same? Most people I know that have a timeshare and regret it and never go. I think that we are all lucky to have a program that we all enjoy this much. What do you think? :goodvibes
Yes, there are other groups of timeshare systems and many of the same issues are discussed in those groups as well. DVC is not as unique as many owners would like to think it is. Most people I know, even those that paid too much from a developer, love and use their timeshares.

conciergekelly said:

I know a guy that owns Marriott and loved it so much he bought more time. Basically you have to love the WDW area to be passionate about the DVC system. I know I love Disney as much as my kids so I love to talk about and or defend DVC. Most time shares that I'm familiar with tend to sell you a certain week-red,blue,white or a block of months. This, to me, would seem more difficult to use than DVC. Being restricted to when you can travel will more than likely make you not like a timeshare.

All you have to do is go to the TUG website. There you see the same heated debates. There is definate three or maybe four different tier timeshare levels. Ritz Carlton types at the top, next DVC-Marriott-Starwood-Hilton types, next might be lessor bargin chains, next I would think are local timeshare offerings.
This is just my opinion. I didn't include every timeshare company, just giving examples.

I think an owner's "love" for or "defense" of timeshare is directly proportional to the quality of the timeshare program. I think Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt are all high quality programs and are probably as loved by their owners as the DVC is by us!!!!

I also think that timeshares got a bad rap in the 70's and 80's because there were so many scams out there, but it is my "sense" that those tactics have changed for many of them, and that timeshares in general may be a better investment now than they used to be. I don't mean investment for financial gain, but an investment in terms of vacations. We probably have the better chains, such as Marriott etc. who "raised the bar" in the timeshare world, to thank for the overall improvement in the product.

It is good to know that others are just as happy. I just got to thinking about all of the hoopla around here lately thought maybe we were an rare breed. :rotfl2:

I have never looked into any others. I was very cautious because they always seemed like scams. I just trusted Disney so that is why I looked into DVC. I have a friend who has a Raddison timeshare and felt ripped off right off the bat. They couldn't trade week very easy, bad accomodations etc. My in laws thought we were crazy for spending that kind of $ on a "timeshare". They are surprised that we use it as much as we do. (maybe too much! I think I need more points!:rotfl: )

I have never been to the tug site tomandrobin. I'll have to check it out. I would be interested in what they have to say.

Thanks for the input!

Dean said:
Yes, there are other groups of timeshare systems and many of the same issues are discussed in those groups as well. DVC is not as unique as many owners would like to think it is. [...]
Yes, just think of all the other time-shares that are on-site at WDW.....

:rotfl2: ;) :hug:

DrTomorrow said:
Yes, just think of all the other time-shares that are on-site at WDW.....

:rotfl2: ;) :hug:
Sorry, included my response in another thread my mistake. My point was that there are many different aspects and interests in timeshares. DVC isn't in HI, on the beach other than VB, etc. And that many resorts side by side would be just as good or even better than any of the DVC resorts. Not everyone wants to go to WDW and even for those that do, not all prefer to stay on property.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter