What do you think of OKW?

roymccoy

Efficient Oxygen Exchanger<br><font color="#0080c0
We are planning our next WDW trip (probably for JUly of 2005) and will be traveling with 3 adults and 2 children (2 and 5 year olds) and was wondering what you all thought about a 2 bedroom at Old Key West.

Pro's -- Con's??

Also, what kind of price could I expect with a premium AP rate. (If it even exists at this resort.)

Thanks so much in advance!

Roy

Roy, I've never stayed at OKW myself but I hear the 2BR are large & beautiful. Since it's a Disney Vacation Club resort, you can learn more about them on the DVC boards here on the DIS.

Also, if you check the DVC rent/trade board you can possible rent points from a member for considerable savings. They may not have AP discounts for these, especially in July, but I could be wrong.

Yikes! I was just about to try and rent points for June!

I have heard so many good things about OKW - the laid back atmosphere, the pool and new pool slide, the location by DTD and water parks!

Say it isn't so!!!

:scared:

WHAT! OKW is great! From what I hear of other resorts, OKW sounds good. I've stayed there numerous times and LOVED every time. The bus never stopped at any other resort and went straight to the parks. Buses ran every 15-20 minutes. It so peaceful at OKW.

I happen to love it!

yes if you rent points from a DVC member you will save money - but have no housekeeping (less you stay 8 nights) for 4 nights or more on the 3 or 4th you get towels/trash - they come in get the towels and pick up the trash.

you can pay extra and get housekeeping - a studio is $25, I think a 2-bedroom is $45.

the two bedroom is very big - so your family will enjoy the space.

the bus service is pretty good (big change from a few years ago) - the most we had to wait was around 12 minutes for the MK - during that time too AK buses came, one Epcot, one DD. some of the times the bus came in 10 minutes or less.

picking up at the parks - a little slower - there the slowest wait was around 18 minutes - most of the time it was 12 minutes. A few times the bus was waiting for us.

I learned to time these bus stops long ago.

I would definitely go with OKW. my opinion!!!

it is a beautiful resort.

most of the CM's at OKW at top people - there are few that can destroy your trip - but on the whole they are pretty great people!!!

jovidan - what do you not like about OKW please?

when you say confusing layout - do you mean the buildings or the rooms?

sorry - it is a big condo - it is designed as a village - like the CBR.

seems like we had opposite service.

When I stayed at the Asmu - I have to wait an hour for the MK bus and this was in the morning....

we got told that a bus broke down?

I’m a DVC member and OKW is my home resort. We love it and look forward to every visit. :love: It is true that housekeeping is only done on the 4th day – basically trash removal. If that is problem, you can pay extra for it; we don’t find that to be necessary. As far as towels go, if we run out we run them through the washer and dryer; we don’t think that it is a problem. Having a washer/dryer is great – it cuts down on the number of clothes we have to pack! :) OKW has huge rooms and the two-bedroom unit is my personal favorite. There is lots of privacy and room to spread out and enjoy.

As far as the buses go, I think they run fairly well. We’ve never waited longer than 30 minutes and usually much less. There are longer waits for buses in the mid-afternoon. I’ve never found it necessary to have a car, but some folks find one to come in handy. They have just renovated the main pool area and now there is a slide – we’re visiting next week, so I haven’t seen it yet. Each “neighborhood” has its own small pool and hot tub.

You may become very spoiled once you stay here – the rooms are very comfortable and the atmosphere is laid back and relaxing. :p It is a wonderful resort and I hope you enjoy your stay!

We just returned home from one week at Old Key West with a 2 year old and 5 year old. We stayed in a one bedroom.

My obervations were:
-huge, beautiful accomodations
-gorgeous grown landscaping
-fabulous new slide for the 5 year old
-great pool area
-wonderful relaxing laid back atmosphere

My only complaint is that we weren't closer to the new slide and had to drive to it, but I didn't request to be near it so that is my fault.

I loved the washer and dryer in our room, and I like not having housekeeping coming in everyday.

The kitchen was great... much bigger than I expected.

I would recommend it.

Raewhid - I have a question for you - or anyone else who knows.

My kids will almost be 7 and 3 when we go. Should we get a one bedroom or a studio? Also, do you guys put your kids in the bedroom? I think we could stay up later that way!

Where is the best location to request? We will have a car - our drive is arduous - from Tampa! I know, I know!!! :charac2:

The one bedroom was great for us because we wanted the full size kitchen, which the studios don't have. The studios have a microwave and small fridge.

My husband and I slept in the king size bed. My son was on the very comfortable pull out couch, and my 2 year old daughter was in a crib in the bedroom with husband and I.

You could definitely fit in the studio. I"m not sure what your priorities are in terms of kitchen and having washer and dryer in your room. The studio has a full size (or queen, I'm not sure) bed and a pull out sofa.

I was surprised at the ample room. The bathroom in our one bedroom was abolutely enormous, with a big jet tub. Very, very nice.

a studio is definitely cheaper.

but the 1-bedroom will spoil you.

there is one problem with the 1-bedroom - if you have to wash your children - this is a BIG tub - very big - so this could be a problem.

the studio have the regular size bath.

We LOVED OKW, when we stayed there in '93. The NEW SLIDE looks incredible! (thanks for the nice link, spiceycat). :goodvibes It's a beautiful resort, with a very peaceful & remote feeling/layout. We enjoyed much of the same things other posters have listed. We visit DVB, which is very similar/comparable in offerings (types/sizes of accommodations). I believe you would be very comfortable/happy in a villa at OKW. :cloud9:

Thanks everyone for the replys.

I think we'll try it and rent a car.

Thanks again,

Roy

You won't regret!!

We stayed here in Oct on our DVC points.

layed back, beautiful property, and we did not have wait times returning from parks.(always left after fireworks)going--no more than a 5/10 minute wait.

I love :love: OKW!! We are staying there for 13 nights in May :teeth: The 2 bedroom rooms are huge!! It's a very relaxing resort.

roymccoy said:
I think we'll try it and rent a car.

We were bumped up to a 2-bedroom villa and loved it!

Many OKWers are there for an extended stay, adding to the relaxed atmosphere. If you're not there for an extended stay, the car will help make the most of your trip. The mid-day return bus trips can be take you 30 minutes (queue to door).

If you stick with the car, consider requesting a location *away* from bus stops. Not that you would notice, but the noise is something to consider.

Also consider:
-Distance to pool (especially if the main pool is the one you're after)
-A few buildings are close to a road (road noise).
-3rd floor? We stayed on the 3rd floor and didn't mind it. However, very few buildings have elevators and luggage gets heavier on the way up!

We are staying at BWV on the next trip, but only because my in-laws are traveling with us and location is more important. I know we'll be disappointed with the room size having stayed at OKW! Enjoy!

We stayed in a 1 BR at OKW in December. It was wonderful!!!!!!!! No lie, when I say that it was bigger than our first apartment. And it was great to come home with clean clothes from the washer/dryer in the room.

Pam

kjustice said:
Yikes! I was just about to try and rent points for June!

I have heard so many good things about OKW - the laid back atmosphere, the pool and new pool slide, the location by DTD and water parks!

Say it isn't so!!!

:scared:

Don't let one persons comments scare you away. Likewise, don't let my comments be the reason to book a room there. We love the resort. As DVC members we just love the place and think it is one of the best Disney has to offer...smjj

I've never stayed there but a friend of mine is a DVC member and it's her home resort. Her, her DH and teenage son and daughter absolutely love it. They go twice a year and feel like they are returning home. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter