What do you remember about your last day of school?

reecejackox

DIS Veteran
I will start with

Primary - I was in a school play which ended the school year

High school - remember there was an assembly for the year and me and two mates decided to play football instead

College - remember coming in just to fill in paper work then went home.

i always considered my kid's last day of school each year as mine as well so-

having them put their backpacks in a designated spot so all the school supplies could be emptied out and put away for future use. my dd just graduated college this past weekend and i mentioned to her that if she ever wants a walk down memory lane of her educational path she has just to go to the collection of plastic boxes that hold all all the extra pencils and such to see what her interests were over the years (from disney princesses to high school musical and the jonas brothers, my little pony and polly pocket)-there are pencils and rulers depicting them all:flower:

Well I really only have memories of last day from grammar school. From what I remember report cards were given out and everyone prayed they wouldn't have to go to summer school. We would autograph the envelope that the report cards came in and strangely enough we autographed each other's shirts. We had uniforms and we thought it was great to write on the shirts on the last day. Sounds ridiculous now - can't believe my parents didn't give me grief for it - lol. We would all bring in gifts and flowers for our teachers/nuns. One girl in my class seemed to be with me all 8 years and her mom was this really great baker who would send in these beautiful cakes. Last but not least we had to all clean our desks with ammonia. We would pass a few bottles of it around and we'd use it straight up. I remember the fumes were crazy. Last day of 8th grade we had graduation in the church so that year was the only year things were different on the last day.

Primary: Same as pp cleaning the desks with ammonia and brown paper towels.

8th grade dance and Karaoke singing Love Shack.

Senior year: We jumped out the emergency bus exit on the last day.

College: Picking up cap & gown.

Had to go pick up a BBQ pit for the Track team picnic. Turns out, we didn’t have permission to borrow the pit (found out upon return).

In elementary and middle schools -- Sheer joy. High school graduation -- uncertainty and fear. And now, none of it seems to matter LOL. Does anyone use calculus, algebra or geometry in their lives? :teacher:

Last edited:

Yup, remember scrubbing desks in elementary/junior high. And being super hot in the classroom. (Here we go till late June.)

High school, making a beeline out of the parking lot (with beers on ice :teeth: )!

College, seeing final grades posted and that I passed, was so relieved! Never went back there until touring with my own DD, who is now in same program!

Seems like it always rained on the last day of school. Other than that, no major memories.

I remember last day of elementary school, it was field day and we got served lunch outside and got to eat outside.
I don't remember the last days of my HS years.

I always liked how when school was winding down -- especially the last week -- they were usually half days and there was no schoolwork anymore and we either watched movies in class or talked about summer plans, etc.

My kids just asked me this. I told them that the main thing I remembered was that the bus drivers would have coolers on the bus on the last day of school and would give us a soda to drink on the way home. And they'd all honk the horns like crazy as they were driving out of the bus loop. :)

At my kids school they don't get soda, but the bus drivers drive round and round the bus loop on the last day of school honking their horns, and the teachers stand outside and play music and dance. They film it and put it on the facebook page and it's a hoot to watch!

Singing

No more pencils, no more books
No more teacher's dirty looks

Throw the pencils in the well
well
Tell the teachers to go to hell

Same here except for the last two lines (LOL, never heard that part). Our version started as a countdown for about the last week:

“Six more days until we’re free
from this place of misery...”
and so on, (last day was
“No more days until we’re free...”), followed by “No more pencils...”

The most important thing in elementary school was getting your report card on the last day, and finding out which teacher you had for the next year and which of your friends were in your class.

For high school, I think my friends and I drove around afterward and got fast food and went to shop at the thrift store. It was just fun, then. No aim, no purpose. Cruise around, hang out at the lake, camp at Denny's all night.

The next day, however, I remember very clearly. We planned on going to the movies. It was a rainy day in June, and I had one friend in my car, and my other friend had two others in his.

The lady ahead of me stopped short, and i stopped quickly. I looked in my rear-view and "J" was pointing from the backseat of "S"s car. My friend "R" was jamming along to something on the radio in my car.

I managed to say, "Oh, Sh..." (Not even the complete word) before S rear-ended me. We stopped at Walmart to assess the damages. We got some supplies and drove back to my house to fix his car. (My big honking Buick only had a splotch of red paint on it.)

We ended up taping up his headlight. The five of us posed on the slightly bent hood of his car after we "fixed" what we could.

As my Mom took the picture, the hood suddenly bent back into place. We then all went out for Chinese food.

He got a new car within two weeks. Mine lasted for three more years after that.

Funny thing is that I am now working at my alma mater, so I see and have a lot of "Last Days" and they're starting to blur together.

Elementary school we had our fifth grade graduation in the morning and then everyone went to lunch with family or went home. I remember we were supposed to have a outdoor movie and party that night but it rained so they moved it into the gym. It was a fun night

Middle school we went to Cedar Point for the last day. Stayed all day, watched fireworks and didn’t get home until 1am.

High school, I skipped out on the final day, lol. Finals were over and my locker was cleaned out so my best friend and I went up to my family’s cabin for the weekend. I hated high school and was happy to be gone

I can't remember too much about the last day of primary school. A lot of people had everyone sign the back of their school uniform but as I had to hand mine down to my younger sister I had everyone write in a book instead. I was school captain and I can remember coming home after school and taking off my badge for the last time and actually making myself pause and feel proud of myself.

At my high school for the last day of school the year 12s cut up their school dresses and make costumes out of them based on a theme; ours was Peter Pan (because we didn't want to grow up) and I went as an Indian. Normally this day is 'muck up day' and the year 12s play pranks (which are admittedly usually gross) on the school and spray the younger students with water pistols and water bombs on their way into school. However, for our year they decided to cancel muck up day and have us all at a farewell breakfast when the other students were arriving. Naturally, we just played all our pranks the day prior instead (although most of us kept them funny rather than gross - e.g. all of us musicians 'pinkified' the director of music's office and happily owned up to it).

So on the actual final day we had the farewell breakfast and took plenty of photos in our cut up uniforms. I think either just prior to or after lunch we had our informal farewell assembly when our year 12 video (which mainly consisted of skits) was played and we got up on stage and sang graduation songs (which oddly included Hakuna Matata) and cried a lot. Unlike other years we also had class (in Australia the year 12s have big exams that basically determine what university and course you get into AFTER the final day of school) and I remember my final class was maths.

After school I had pipe band practice and when I walked in my pipes teacher looked at me in my strange tartan school dress/Tiger Lily outfit and just said, 'I'm not even going to ask'; he'd been confused enough on the year 12 'wear a different school uniform day'!

I also remember that two of my friends had a massive fight about something ridiculous. After exams most year 12s go on 'schoolies' and both of these girls were supposed to be in our group of friends who had rented a beach house for the week. They got in a screaming match in the hallway and one of them announced that she was no longer coming. (Although that ended up being a positive for me as the girl who came instead was only 17 like me so I wasn't the only one too young to legally drink).

The next day was our official final day, although it only consisted of a formal assembly (which meant that all students had to wear their blazers). Each year 12 student was announced and we walked across the stage, shook hands with various people and received a certificate, a bible and our alumni pin. Afterwards there was a morning tea for us and our parents and then my friends and I went out for lunch with our parents.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter