What do you miss about your home country when you go abroad?

reecejackox

DIS Veteran
i am from the united kingdom , and i miss the friendliness when i go to places like France and Germany

When I was in Scotland, I missed being able to eat at random points in the day. Even in small towns in the US, once a restaurant opens for the day, they’re open all day. Also missed being able to get a good burger in a pub. I was fortunate enough to go fishing there, but only because I had a connection. Public access is WAY better here.

Can’t say I’ve ever really “missed” anything while in Mexico, but while I’ve spent at least 100 days there, I was never there overnight.

And that’s the extent of my international travel.

Well, once, in the UK, I got sick, and I really missed the prevalence of 24 hour drug stores.

Depends on what it means by "abroad". I've visited Canada (Vancouver and Victoria) and it didn't really feel all that different than California.

I've been to many countries like Thailand, Australia, New Zealand, China, Taiwan, and Korea. I've always been able to find a McDonald's and someone who could take my order, although it did get tricky in China. I did come across an assistant manager who understood a bit of English and was happy to provide me with a picture menu.

Depending on where, it might be relatively clean air. Neighborhoods with unique single family homes - compared to rows of identical apartments.

My home country is the USA.
When I’m away, here are some things I miss:

Air conditioning

Ice

Large bathrooms/showers

Not encountering beggars/ pan handlers at tourist attractions

People who bathe daily and who use deodorants

Women shaving their legs and pits.

General orderliness and courtesy shown when driving.

24 hour availability of electricity.

Last edited:
The only thing I miss is being able to walk anywhere and not have to walk a gauntlet of aggressive vendors pushing crap in my face.

When I was in the United Kingdom in 2014 I missed free public toilets. I'm in California and pay toilets were banned here 45 years ago.

Sure about that? I remember when JC Decaux moved into San Francisco with this high tech toilets in the 90s. They're free now, but back then it was a quarter. Also some local businesses handed out tokens, as did some **ahem** homeless services.

I havent been over seas since the navy, age 18-22, but when I was over seas it was for a long time, and I missed everything but the girls the most, America has the best

Diet Pepsi. We've visited other countries that had a type of Diet Pepsi, but their formula isn't the same. I can eat anything, but I struggle without my Diet Pepsi fix. :o

Disclaimer: There may be other countries that serve the same formula of Diet Pepsi that we have. We just haven't visited them.

I’m also from the UK. When visiting the US, I miss:

- not having crazy large gaps in between the toilet stall and the door
- not having tax included in the displayed price in shops
- not having to worry about medical bills if we need to see a doctor

When visiting other countries in Europe, I can miss:

- the UK being relatively smoke free
- proper, clean toilets at service stations (driving through France you often have to just pee in a hole in the floor)
- driving on the left

Oh. I found the law, or at least the current version.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/...ion=104.&title=&part=15.&chapter=2.&article=1.

I don't read it as completely banning pay toilets, but where a business or public building must provide restrooms free of charge for patrons. I don't think it applies to standalone pay toilets.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/City-workers-to-begin-inspecting-pay-toilets-in-2901960.php
For 25 cents or a free token that San Francisco distributes to the homeless, the door slides open and shut automatically, the toilet seat retracts into the wall where it is washed and dried, and the sink and soap dispenser have motion sensors that dispense automatically when hands appear under them.​

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter