What do you do with yellow summer squash?

EllenFrasier

DIS Veteran
Okay I was successful at growing summer squash. Now what do I do with them?:confused3 What are you favorite recipes?

On Allrecipes.com you can input what ingredients you have and get a list of recipes.

I like to roast yellow squash, zucchini, asparagus, white potato, sweet potato, and onion together.

I like to grill squash, just brush with olive oil and season and grill. Sometimes I also will make a veggie mix, squash, zucchini, peppers, and onions and add oil and balsamic vinegar and you can roast that in the oven or grill it. I have a grill skillet, so I grill that a lot too.

You could also dice up and use to make pasta primavera, or just saute as a side dish.

:) With yellow squash, ritz crackers, cheese, egg, milk and onion--you have a casserole.....awesome!!!

Baked Squash Fries:

gallon zip loc bag: add 1 1/2 T flour, salt, pepper and italian seasonings

cut up two yellow squash (zucchini work well too) in thin "french fry pieces"

put in bag and toss to coat.

whip two eggs whites until frothy in a bowl. Pour in bag and toss to coat.

Add 3/4 c Italian seasoned bread crumbs to bag. Toss to coat.

Lay in a single layer on a greased (Pam) cookie sheet.

Cook at 425 for 15 minutes. May need to turn.

Eat quickly with ranch or your favorite dip - they cool off quickly...

We love to slice it up and coat it in corn meal and fry in Crisco.Yes,I know that's not the healthy way to use it,but it's very good.My daughters and son in laws use it in alot of other ways.They cook different than I do.But really you can do alot with it.

Saute slices with a little olive oil, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper. Yum!

We love to slice it up and coat it in corn meal and fry in Crisco.Yes,I know that's not the healthy way to use it,but it's very good.My daughters and son in laws use it in alot of other ways.They cook different than I do.But really you can do alot with it.

true southern at heart.

My kids have been eating grilled squash everyday for a week now.

My favorite way to eat it when it is fresh-out-of-the-garden is to slice it, cook it for 20 minutes or so over medium heat with a little water in the bottom of the pot (until it is soft and breaks apart), drain it and add butter and a little shredded cheese. Mmmmm....

May have to head to the farmers market this weekend. :)

I stuff my squash with onions, bell peppers, tomatoes and cheese.

Boil the squash for a short time. (just to soften it up to remove the seeds)
Slice the squash in half long ways.
Scoop out the seeds.
Fill in with mixture.
Bake in the oven.

Look up recipe for The Black Eyed Pea's squash casserole. My family loves it. My DH adds some chopped green chilis for additional flavor.

Hands down, squash fritters:

4 medium yellow squash, shredded (with a grater)
1/2 onion (or as little or as much as you like)
3/4 tbsp. salt (again, as much as you like)
1/2 c. all purpose flour
1/4 c. cornmeal (we use white cornmeal)
1 egg, beaten
1/2-1 c. shredded cheddar
pepper to taste
1-2 jalepeno peppers, finely chopped (optional, but a must for us!)
1 tbsp. veg. oil

Grate squash and onion into a colander then sprinkle with salt (this helps the water to weep out) and let it set for 30 minutes, or so.

Squeeze the excess water from the squash/onion mixture by hand, through cheesecloth, or with a potato ricer (you have to use it for something!). I do this while the oil is heating up on med/high. Add jalepeno, cheddar, flour, cornmeal, egg, and pepper. Mix well (I mix it by hand).

Drop by heaping spoonful into hot skillet and brown on both sides until golden.

Serve alone or with sour cream, hot sauce, or anything else you might like.

**The more water you can squeeze out of the squash/onion, the better they will be. Also, I prefer to cook them a little higher than medium just to make them more brown. We have these at least once a week.

Turn heat to medium

Send them to me, mine didn't make it.

I like them sauteed, fried, baked, in a casserole...

Mmmm....all of the above.

If you still have leftover, you could shred and freeze (remove seeds) -- use in place of zucchini for baked breads.

One of our favorite, quick and easy meals:

Take box of Mrs T's pierogies (I like the minis) and cook in frying pan with a little olive oil. Remove and keep warm.

Add a bit more oil and sautee squash, green pepper and onion until tender. Add a little bit of Italian Seasoning for flavor.

Mix pierogies in and enjoy.

I always add some type of meat as well for a little more oomph. Usually some diced up ham or kielbasa or even cubed chicken.

Super easy, quick, cheap and good meal!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter