What do you do when you can't get the view you want at exactly 11 months out?

I agree Diane. Walking a reservation bothers me for the reason you mention -- it ties up inventory, making things difficult for other members and forcing them to make multiple calls and use the waitlist. I hope you and Karen will keep us posted on how things turn out.

Exactly. Honestly, I don't fault the system. If people used it the way DVC intended it to be used, it wouldn't be an issue.

It's when people start finding a way to beat the system, or get around the system to gain an advantage that it becomes a problem. Then it forces other people to start going around the system, too, so that they can get what they want. I've learned my lesson this year, and if I want to get my Boardwalk view room on a trip midweek in December next year, I'm going to be forced to start my reservation earlier to better my chances of what I really want.

Unfortunately, that's true with many things in life.

The thing that stinks about this situation is that if a walker called an cancelled a room after I called, someone else could get that room even though I tried for it first and I was on the waitlist on it (since I don't think the waitlist goes instantaneously).

I guess I'll find out in 2 and a half hours if I get the Boardwalk view for the rest of my stay. My guess is that I'll have the Boardwalk view for the first night within a couple of weeks. I'll post again after I call.

I was able to get the Boardwalk view studio for a seven night stay beginning on December 8th. The member service rep told me it was the last Boardwalk view studio in the system for the night of December 8th.

I'm still holding out for the night of the 7th, though, as I'd rather go from the 7-14 than the 8-15.

Sorry, Diane. Hope you got your standard view ;)

Good for you!!! I got my standard view stdio for Dec!! And added a night at BLT. MK view studio, for my Aug trip!

Good for you!!! I got my standard view stdio for Dec!! And added a night at BLT. MK view studio, for my Aug trip!

I'm glad that you got what you really wanted, since you wanted to save yourself a few points. I was afraid that there wouldn't be any standard studios left, either.

The waitlist needs to have all the days available, so I would try tomorrow for the rest ot your vacation of BW view then just waitlist for the one day.
I vote for this one.

You have a great chance of getting just one day if that's all you're missing. Book the first night as preferred and waitlist for BWV. Then book the rest as BWV if you can.

I was able to get the Boardwalk view studio for a seven night stay beginning on December 8th. The member service rep told me it was the last Boardwalk view studio in the system for the night of December 8th.

I'm still holding out for the night of the 7th, though, as I'd rather go from the 7-14 than the 8-15.

Sorry, Diane. Hope you got your standard view ;)

Ah, I see you got it. Great!

Exactly. Honestly, I don't fault the system. If people used it the way DVC intended it to be used, it wouldn't be an issue.

It's when people start finding a way to beat the system, or get around the system to gain an advantage that it becomes a problem. Then it forces other people to start going around the system, too, so that they can get what they want. I've learned my lesson this year, and if I want to get my Boardwalk view room on a trip midweek in December next year, I'm going to be forced to start my reservation earlier to better my chances of what I really want.

Unfortunately, that's true with many things in life.

The thing that stinks about this situation is that if a walker called an cancelled a room after I called, someone else could get that room even though I tried for it first and I was on the waitlist on it (since I don't think the waitlist goes instantaneously).

I guess I'll find out in 2 and a half hours if I get the Boardwalk view for the rest of my stay. My guess is that I'll have the Boardwalk view for the first night within a couple of weeks. I'll post again after I call.

Exactly!! When they first changed this rule and I talked to member satisfaction, the person I spoke with said I could call her any time I couldn't get what I wanted because of "walkers", but I'm thinking there are FAR too many people doing this. Frankly, I think the threads and references on "how to walk a reservation" need to be taken off the site. Why should we teach people how to "bend the rules"?

When I called this morning, the MS rep asked me what type studio I wanted. I asked her what they had available. She answered..."Oh, I'm sure everything is open since you're booking so early!' Told her that I didn't think so. When she came back with a 'Oh....there are no boardwalk views available. I didn't think that would happen!!', I told her that it would seem that many members were 'walking' their reservations. She said she had to agree..that that would be the only reason for not getting a boardwalk view on my first day!!! I told her that I figured Disney would come up with something to stop that practice....she said she really hoped so..that it didn't seem quite fair to those of us who were booking on our first possible day.
I have to agree about not posting those threads anymore. While it is still 'legal' to do, it's really stretching it. And now we have those guests who really want a particular view and because others are 'walking', these people now have to do the same..even though they would rather not. We now have a huge number of people stretching the system, which makes it close to impossible to use the system the way it was intended and still get what you need...at your home resort to boot!!

While I agree the system is not intended to be used this way, it's not technically "bending the rules", there's nothing in the rules that says you can't do it. Someone mentioned earlier that a MS CM even suggested it. So I don't think it should be a banned topic.

Technically not 'bending the rules'...but it sure does make it easier to book exactly what you want, much earlier than you previously were able to book...especially if you have a ton of points to play with. There is nothing to prevent someone from booking a boardwalk villa at the 11 month window, but not needing that villa for three weeks from then..so, they book for as many days as they need, and keep adding, until they get to the dates they need, then they start dropping days that they didn't need. Against the rules? No. But it sure does make it hard to play by the intent of the rules, doesn't it?
Can you imagine what would happen if everyone started walking their reservations?? That will never happen. Just a thought though.

I am surprised that so many people have extra points towalk a reservation! I can see for a few days but for a week out.....wow! I go at Christmas time and you would need a lot of points to walk a reservation for that long.:teacher:So annoying!

I don't think the answer is to remove threads about walking from the DIS. We may not like the practice, but it is within the rules. In fact, when the change was made from reserving prior to check out to check in, many members who brought this to DVC's attention were told that they would "keep an eye" on the practice and take action if it becomes a problem. So DVC knows about the practice and has not deemed it to be worthy of action - at least so far.

Several posters have reported that MS suggested walking to them. Keep in mind that the more calls that go to MS, the more CMs are required to handle them. It is in the individual CM's best interest to keep the call volumes high (job security). It is management's responsibility to take action when action is necessary, and so far they haven't even told the CMs to quit suggesting it.

Those who are not in favor of walking should make that known to Member Satisfaction, especially if they are shut out and also have concerns about how the waitlists are filled.

But before you complain, think carefully about what you want them to do about the pracitce. The cure might very well be worse than the disease. For example, DVC could institute a fee for cancellations. They could make a new rule that says if you drop a day, you have to cancel the whole reservation and rebook - that means you could lose the whole reservation. So the cures could negatively affect many more than just those who are walking.

But before you complain, think carefully about what you want them to do about the pracitce. The cure might very well be worse than the disease. For example, DVC could institute a fee for cancellations. They could make a new rule that says if you drop a day, you have to cancel the whole reservation and rebook - that means you could lose the whole reservation. So the cures could negatively affect many more than just those who are walking.

I agree with CarolMN: Trying to curb the walking of reservations may result in new booking rules that are far more onerous to the majority of the Members. There are many members who modify their reservations for reasons unrelated to walking, but everyone would suffer the penalties. Do we know how many reservations are being walked? Is it happening throughout the year or only during certain times? At all resorts, or just some? Before we demand changes to the booking rules, I think we should quantify the impact of walking reservations on the booking process. Keep in mind that even if walking was eliminated, its still possible that some dates can be booked before your booking window opens.

I'm glad the OP was able to get most of what was desired and hope the final day comes through too!

We own at the BWV and I have honestly never stayed in a Boardwalk view. We actually love the pool/garden view. I especially enjoy staying near the quiet pool. I guess its good that I don't know what I am missing, so I don't really get upset if I don't get it, eh?

I agree with CarolMN: Trying to curb the walking of reservations may result in new booking rules that are far more onerous to the majority of the Members. There are many members who modify their reservations for reasons unrelated to walking, but everyone would suffer the penalties. Do we know how many reservations are being walked? Is it happening throughout the year or only during certain times? At all resorts, or just some? Before we demand changes to the booking rules, I think we should quantify the impact of walking reservations on the booking process. Keep in mind that even if walking was eliminated, its still possible that some dates can be booked before your booking window opens.

So do I. The price of airfare for Jetblue is not always out by September when I hit my 11 month mark for my August trip.

Because of this, I will most likely always book my trip for 7 or 8 nights even though we will go for only 5 or 6. This will give me some flexiblity on what dates I want to travel once I know what is cheaper. And, from Syracuse, sometimes one or two days earlier or later can save me hundreds.

Hi Rolls :)

Glad to see you got most of your boardwalk view days and hope you get your last day on the waitlist.

The most important reservation I make each year is a BW view 1 bedroom during early December. It is the highlight of my DVC year. But given the choice of dealing with reservation walkers or giving up the flexibility to add and subtract days or cancel reservations without penalty, I will deal with walkers, even if I miss my sacred BW view December room. The flexibility of DVC was a major selling point for us and, as our life has become more complicated, the flexibility has been a real saving grace. I agree with Carol that the cure could be much worse than the disease.

Same thing happened to me today....want a BW studio...Dec 8-15....none available Dec 8th. I expressed my frustration to the CM, as the same thing occurred last year since the change in policy.

Spoke with a manager, and he stated that DVC Members 'VOTED' for the change. He further stated that 60% of members must vote for any changes..including point changes. I have never been asked to vote on any of these changes, and have been a member since 1998. I thought Disney made whatever changes they wanted....only bound by certain rules regarding the amount of point value change they could make.

Anyone else familiar with the members supposedly having 'voted' for this change?

I've been a member over 10 years and never voted on anything. I don't think anyone on this board posted that they were ask to vote on this change. There is a member representative on the board of directors and it's possible they "voted" for everyone regarding this change. I doubt it though, I think it was a cop out answer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter