What do people wear when it rains?

myhat

Earning My Ears
Planning to visit next Aug for three weeks so can no doubt expect to see heavy afternoon showers, if not worse!!

I have heard that you can buy something called a rain poncho at the parks. Are these any better than the standard British kagool (our family have lots of these but do we bother to take them to Florida with us?) Does anyone take umbrellas? Do anyone just get wet?

We like to travel round theme parks 'hands free', with just a waist pack for camera & sun cream and don't really want to carry any extra bags around with us.

I would be grateful for any advice.

There is alot to do when it rains (indoor rides ) you can just get wet you will dry fast and it will feel good or get the poncho's they pack light hang them off your fanny (hip ) packs.

We wear the lovely yellow Disney ponches :)

Although I believe the ponches you buy at WDW now are transparent.
When you are in a packed theme park in the rain with 90% of the crowd wearing identical yellow ponches it's very easy to end up walking round with someone elses wife and kids :)

Here's DW and DD1 sporting the dashing yellow ponchos at a rainy Fantasmic in August 2003:

3246124-2442_IMG-thumb.jpg

The ponches are thin plastic with a hood, head hole and arm holes. They smell a bit plasticky and after wearing them for a few hours in the summer humidity you are just as wet as if you hadn't worn one LOL

We have never taken anything special for the rain.

If it rains we just make the best of it.

An umbrella would just be a nuisance as you would probably be banging into people with it all the time.

We normally have a poncho for our son - mainly for Popeye's Barges ride at IOA - however, they tend to be very poor quality in our experience.

We've been in August and never used rainwear. We just dodge the rain or find an indoor attraction for a while.

Libby

Dimplenose said:
We've been in August and never used rainwear. We just dodge the rain or find an indoor attraction for a while.

Libby

That's what we do too! I am too lazy to carry them around all the time in case it rains!

We bought Ponchos in the park when it rained on us. I believe this was mainly due to DW doing a rain dance as on our previous 2 trips it hadn't rained and therefore she hadn't had a chance to buy a stylish Mickey Poncho :teeth: I have never seen her so excited to see it start raining before :)

I am never sure about using an umbrella in WDW as the rain tends to be accompanied by lightning and I just don't think it's too safe to be waving a metal object above my head when it's doing that sort of thing :(

We took our rain coats. One day we forgot to take them though, had the longest heavist shower and ended up buying the yellow poncho!!

Personally I would take your kagools :sunny:
We tried ponchos on an August trip to Florida a few years ago and they drove me spare!
They kept the rain off when it rained but, once the sun came out again, they became incredibly sticky and sweaty - a little like being in a steam room :rotfl:
I ended up screwing mine up and throwing it in the nearest bin whilst DD (then 4) managed to get hers wrapped several times around her pushchair wheels.... :rolleyes:
I used an umbrella too but, as Alan says, there's often lightening so you have to be careful.
:umbrella:

I'm not sure your kagools would hold up to the kind of downpour you tend to get in August. We bought yellow 'Mickey' ponchos on our first trip which are still good three trips later. You feel a bit ridiculous when you first put one on but with thousands of others wearing identical ones you soon blend in. You can get a bit sticky in them as it is still very humid but they do withstand the heaviest of downpours and are quick to dry out and very light to carry. I wouldn't recommend an umberella as the lightning can be quite fierce. :flower:

We go in August so a downpour is a welcome relief. We dodge the showers as best we can but don't worry too much if we get wet. The Ponchos fold quite small when dry but if they get wet you need to let them dry out before packing them away again.

you can buy tiny disposable ponchos in Walmart for 99cents - we carried these around and then threw them away after we used them. it's a bit like wearing a dry cleaning bag, but at least it keeps you dry.
We also used an umbrella on a couple of occasions (and now own a nice collection of Mickey brollys), when it's raining really hard it's a bit less disheartening when it;'s not actually hitting you on the face.

dont take the kagools.. you will ROAST in them!!

Use the ponchos or dodge the rain. I like the idea of ths 99c walmart version and throw them out.. thats cool!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!