What damages did Vero have from the storms?

Tigger1

DIS Veteran
I have not been on the internet enough the last couple months to get an update.

Did anyone get Vero updates?

Thanks Tigger1

Many people have asked, but DVC hasn't given out much information.

I don't believe anyone from the DIS has posted about the meeting...as no one was able to attend.

Vero took a pretty good beating with the two hurricanes. There was a lot of beach and dune erosion. There was no catastrophic structural damage but there was wind and water damage. We haven't had an "accounting" by DVC but conjecture was that the ferocious winds forced water into the buildings causing damage to carpet, furniture, floors, etc. There was also some siding and shingle damage.

Once DVC determines the costs that will be covered by insurance and government programs, they are going to issue a special assessment to Vero owners to cover the costs.

If you are asking because you are headed down to Vero, it seems like the resort is back into pretty good shape. Even the beach is looking pretty good although replenishment will be in the future.

We checked in at Vero on Nov. 8, the first day of the soft opening.

They said they had been working until the wee hours the day before to get things ready. They were still doing work in the lobby and the rooms off of it.
They worked from early morning to evening every day on the landscaping. The beach was wider than it was when we were there a few years ago.

We had a two BR and when we checked in they had a dehumidifier going in our room. We left it on the entire week, because there was a slight musty smell. The unit was not as good as it could have been, both in condition and cleanliness. Mainly the kitchen. I did reclean it myself. I didn't complain because I thought they had so much to handle, I was lucky it was as good as it was.

Basically, I thought they had done a tremendous job to get things going as fast as they did. Walking up the beach, there were a few big houses that looked as though they were completely destroyed.

The CM's were great. They were so happy to have guests again.

June

We were at Vero for a couple of days the first week of December. We had a great time. If you have never been there before you would think that it has allways been like it is now. If you have been there before you will think that the beach is much better and larger than before. The dune at the beach isn't steep anymore. The plant life between the beach and the resort is mostly gone. It is easier to see the ocean from the resort, paths and even the pool. While sitting at some chairs at the pool you can see the pool and looking backwards the ocean. Hopefully we don't get another large storm that erroeds more of the dune. The beach cottages are on the beach now. The entrance to the beach is where the firepit was. The firepit is now at the north end of the resort - where the white tent was. You will really notice a diferance at the surounding properties. Many are seaverly damaged or totally destroyed. We had a great relaxing time when we were there and can't wait to be back in Feb. and May.

The dunes will need rebuilding or the damage to the resort buildings will be worse in the future. If you look at the slides from the link below you will see the public beach just north of the DVC Vero Resort and you can see one of the DVC Resort buildings at the left in the photo. Look at the erosion at the public beach where there is no seawall. Then consider that all DVC Vero had to protect it was the dune. Seawalls are no longer built because of the protection given to the endangered turtle species - only dunes are allowed in front of new properties. My point is that the Disney Resort at Vero will be further damaged next storm if the dunes are not rebuilt. I have been hoping some of the recent visitors to Vero would post some pictures of the way the resort looks now. There is federal money available to replenish beaches -an interesting concept in itself. I suspect the beach and dunes in front of DVC Vero will get repaired as soon as it becomes apparent how much of the bill the public will pay and how much will be left to Disney.

http://coastal.er.usgs.gov/hurricanes/jeanne/site.php?storm_id=10&site_id=23&location_number=11

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter