What covid test method for embarkation?

KevinFL

DCL Pearl
For those of you keeping up with industry developments what covid test method does it look like the cruise lines are going to use on passengers (nasal swab, saliva, etc)? Our family will not cruise if they nasal swab our children (5 & 6 years old). Hoping they will utilize a less invasive method!

For those of you keeping up with industry developments what covid test method does it look like the cruise lines are going to use on passengers (nasal swab, saliva, etc)? Our family will not cruise if they nasal swab our children (5 & 6 years old). Hoping they will utilize a less invasive method!

Cruise lines currently sailing seem to request a negative PCR test result in order to cruise as they are the most sensitive. If you don’t want to have PCR done on your kids, you should start looking for a Plan B just in case.

The nasal swab is easy. My son has had it several times. They don’t go that far up anymore. If you aren’t willing I think you are probably a couple years away from sailing then.

I know several folks who have had saliva test and HATED it. It’s really hard to get enough saliva to fill the test. No idea if those are PCR.

The nasal swab for this test is like 1/2 a Q-tip which you swab just inside nose. I'm currently getting tested twice a week and super easy.

The nasal swab is easy. My son has had it several times. They don’t go that far up anymore. If you aren’t willing I think you are probably a couple years away from sailing then.

I know several folks who have had saliva test and HATED it. It’s really hard to get enough saliva to fill the test. No idea if those are PCR.

Good to know I had no idea about the challenges with saliva test!!
Does it seem they will be doing the Covid test at port or that you have done by your own Doctor prior to cruising?

Good to know I had no idea about the challenges with saliva test!!
Does it seem they will be doing the Covid test at port or that you have done by your own Doctor prior to cruising?
For DCL - nothing has been released or clarified. Some other lines that have restarted in other parts of the world require a negative test 3 days prior. So that would be at home or wherever you may be at that point in time if the cruise is part of a longer vacation. I wouldn’t be surprised if DCL is similar but also does onboard testing. Watch news of the UK cruises this summer as that will likely be similar to how DCL handles US cruises eventually.

And a note about tests: there are still deep nasal swap tests, there are short inside the nostril tests, there are mouth swap tests and tests that one spits into a tube. If it matters what test your family receives pre-cruise, be sure to research what the local pharmacies, hospitals, clinics or doctor’s office is doing in your area.

Last edited:
The nasal swab was a lot easier for my kids. The amount of saliva needed for the vial in a saliva test is HARD and you cannot eat or drink for at least half an hour beforehand, so it isn't like you can take a drink to get it started.

You need like a good inch plus of spit, not bubbles, in a test vial.

I'll chime in with our nasal swab experiences as well. Our 5yo had to get the deep nasal swab last summer and that was pretty rough, but our county also has self administered short inside nasal swabs that we just did last week with our 2yo no problem. He giggled through the whole thing.

Last edited:
I know we don't have any firm info yet, but I feel like Disney will not need to test those individuals who have gotten the vaccination.

Our 5yo had to get the deep nasal swab last summer and that was pretty rough, but our county also has self administered short inside nasal swabs that we just did with our 2yo no problem. He giggled through the whole thing.
I did one of those last week, it tickled like crazy! FWIW the instructions said to not insert the swab more than 1/2 inch, really nothing to it.:)

Royal is requiring an RT-PCR test for their summer sailings with fully vaxed ppl.

My 9yo has had 5 or 6 nasal swabs. They go up about half inch. It's no biggie.

Unfortunately, some people have presented fake tests as well. And rapid tests are not as sensitive as PCR.
Yeah. I am not saying it is perfect, but it is at least something they can consistently execute at point of embark, and it is a backup.

I had a test in February and it was still a so-far-up-your-nose-it-feels-like-it-is-in-your-brain test. So those tests are still around.

Bigger hurdle now is that the US requires anyone traveling internationally to have a PCR test within 3 days before they return to the US. Which means the ship would have to test passengers and be “stuck” with passengers who test positive. Not likely cruises will sail at US ports until that hurdle clears. But if they do, that might limit test options as you’d have to accept whatever they have on board.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter