What benefits do you lose when buying resale??

I know resales are allot cheaper. But what benefits do you loose when buying resale??? Thanks

The current policy is that resales purchased after March, 2011 will not have access to Disney Collection (Disney Cruise and Disney resorts at WDW and DL), Concierge Collection or Adventurer Collection options. They may still be used to make reservations at all DVC Resorts (based on availability at the 11 month Home Resort priority and 7 months at other DVC resorts)and for the World Passport (RCI) Collection.

Most feel that the savings enjoyed from the purchase price more than outweighs the inability to use points for those options.

Enjoy! :)

You lose the ability to book a week in October in a standard room at the Yacht Club for 336 points + a $95 booking fee.

...but you'd still have the ability to book that same week in a 2BR villa at the Beach Club for 278 points.

Yup, you sure do "lose" a lot by buying resale:rotfl2:.

FWIW, the moderate resorts aren't much better...

Standard room at a moderate would be 146 points + $95 fee...
Studio at OKW would be 78 points for the same week.

You lose the ability to book a week in October in a standard room at the Yacht Club for 336 points + a $95 booking fee.

...but you'd still have the ability to book that same week in a 2BR villa at the Beach Club for 278 points.

Yup, you sure do "lose" a lot by buying resale:rotfl2:.

FWIW, the moderate resorts aren't much better...

Standard room at a moderate would be 146 points + $95 fee...
Studio at OKW would be 78 points for the same week.
Kristin,
I LOVE IT!!!:cool1:

Ok, to clarify, you lose the ability to exchange out of the DVC and into the Disney Collection (and Concierge Collection and Adventures by Disney) My point was simply that this ability will cost you more points and more money if you choose to utilize it. If you buy resale, you lose this "privilege". I have purchased both resale and direct so I am speaking from experience with both sides.

You asked what benefits you lose when buying resale and my point is simply that the "benefits" are not as great as they seem. To most people, these "benefits" are not worth paying almost twice as much for by buying direct.

In addition, anything outside of the ability to book your home resort can be taken away by DVD at any time for any reason, whether you purchased resale or direct. That may not be probable, but it is possible.

Sent from my iPod touch using DISBoards

I know resales are allot cheaper. But what benefits do you loose when buying resale??? Thanks
The short answer is nothing of value.

In addition to Doc's list, you also retain the ability to use the Buena Vista Trading Company though I think that option should be considered at risk. Ultimately all you should count on is the ability to use your home resort and to retain the option to use the other resorts subject to the reservation window, currently 7 months. Some will tell you that this is at risk and my judgement is that legally and within the POS, it is not. Even if they took RCI away, there are other exchange options. IMO, the only valid reasons to buy retail are for small points packages and new resorts. One can even finance retail though all financing for such an issue is unreasonable, IMO.

Dean said:
The short answer is nothing of value.

In addition to Doc's list, you also retain the ability to use the Buena Vista Trading Company though I think that option should be considered at risk. Ultimately all you should count on is the ability to use your home resort and to retain the option to use the other resorts subject to the reservation window, currently 7 months. Some will tell you that this is at risk and my judgement is that legally and within the POS, it is not. Even if they took RCI away, there are other exchange options. IMO, the only valid reasons to buy retail are for small points packages and new resorts. One can even finance retail though all financing for such an issue is unreasonable, IMO.

Thanks for your help!

Ultimately all you should count on is the ability to use your home resort and to retain the option to use the other resorts subject to the reservation window, currently 7 months. Some will tell you that this is at risk and my judgement is that legally and within the POS, it is not.

We were just talking about this today. We want to buy into GFV once the points hit resale. And with all of the rumors that Disney is floating at this time...you wonder if they can really limit resale owners to the 7-mo window, even at their home resort. Which is one of the rumors they have floated.

We were just talking about this today. We want to buy into GFV once the points hit resale. And with all of the rumors that Disney is floating at this time...you wonder if they can really limit resale owners to the 7-mo window, even at their home resort. Which is one of the rumors they have floated.
My reading of the POS suggests they can't make rules different between the 2 groups for the current resorts or any other resorts added to the club.

If my parents transfer their contract to my husband and I, will it lose any benefits? They bought resale, but it was in 2010.

If my parents transfer their contract to my husband and I, will it lose any benefits? They bought resale, but it was in 2010.

I believe if the contract is transfered and not resold than all the rights of the 2010 contract stay intact.

I believe if the contract is transfered and not resold than all the rights of the 2010 contract stay intact.
I think that's true assuming it's "family". My understanding is that it has to be gratis (gift or willed) and that if it's gifted it can only be to "family" to receive the qualified status, for a legacy I don't believe the relationship matters.

I understand you can't use points to go on a cruise, but can you pay cash to go on a members cruise?

I understand you can't use points to go on a cruise, but can you pay cash to go on a members cruise?
For the most recent offering they blocked cash access to members who did not own qualified points. I was very surprised by this move but it happened and likely will continue to happen going forward. Anyone interested could always do a small add on to be counted but it's an expensive option just for access to a high cost cruise. But if you want the extra points anyway (GF), it might be worth it for some.

For the most recent offering they blocked cash access to members who did not own qualified points. I was very surprised by this move but it happened and likely will continue to happen going forward. Anyone interested could always do a small add on to be counted but it's an expensive option just for access to a high cost cruise. But if you want the extra points anyway (GF), it might be worth it for some.

I remember in the past (within the last 2 years) there was all kinds of talk and planning for calling to book the member cruise, with reports that it sold out within hours. This year, I barely heard a whisper about it...was it because there were two cruises planned? I seem to recall reading on the member site that there were still openings available, long after the booking window opened. Is the cruise still so popular that they will be able to limit it to qualified contracts and still fill the ships? I don't cruise so I'm just curious....

karebear06 said:

Nope! My parents bought OKW in 93- and now that it's just my mom she transferred it to my DH and I, we had to go through the title process and some paperwork but after 6-8 weeks the contracted had been redeeded (is that a word??) I still have all the rights and perks with the direct purchase even though we did it 6 months ago....

I remember in the past (within the last 2 years) there was all kinds of talk and planning for calling to book the member cruise, with reports that it sold out within hours. This year, I barely heard a whisper about it...was it because there were two cruises planned? I seem to recall reading on the member site that there were still openings available, long after the booking window opened. Is the cruise still so popular that they will be able to limit it to qualified contracts and still fill the ships? I don't cruise so I'm just curious....
Since they announced 2 around the same time, this may have affected the hype and the participation. I don't have much interest in member cruises because they're generally over priced even more than normal. There was a thread or 2 about the issue of non qualified members not being able to book on cash either. I haven't seen anything to the contrary to suggested they've lifted that ban but i could have missed it since I tend to scan titles and only open thread's that interest me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter