What are your thoughts on asking for books in lieu of cards for a baby shower?

CookieandOatmeal

DIS Veteran
What are your thoughts on asking for books in lieu of cards for a baby shower? I've been to two baby showers where guests were asked to do this and I LOVED the idea and want to do this for my baby shower also. I remember getting one book off Amazon but the other one was a "like new" book I found in the library book sale pile that was not originally a library book. I am known for being a bookworm and want to instill the same love of books in my child. I don't mind if the book is used as long as it is in good condition. Do people think it's weird to ask this?

Edit to Add: I will also have a registry so it's clear. Baby shower will take place at a formal tea room.

Last edited:
I've never seen that idea, but I love it! You throw away cards (well, at least I do) why not spend a comparable amount on something that can be used and cherished! Go for it!! :thumbsup2

We've kept our wedding/shower cards in a box that I think I only looked at once since we got married. It will probably be the same thing for cards from the baby shower so I really liked having books with messages in them that we will look through often enough.

I’ve never heard of this but I think it’s a great idea.
Cards are kind of a waste as most people just throw them away after a week of being on display.
You could asked each guest to write a small inscription for you/the baby inside of the book instead of the card

Great idea - they did this for our baby shower and the kids love hearing who it’s from when we read them. I appreciate when people are specific about what they want or need because I hate being waste full. Like please tell me your kid doesn’t need clothes or no toy only gift cards to the zoo etc.

Great idea. I've been to a few showers, where, along with your usual gift, guests are asked to either bring some baby item (pack of diapers, wipes, etc) and it's also been done with books.

We’ve had this in my area for about 6 years or so and I love it. Cards can be so expensive and they usually just get thrown away.

What are your thoughts on asking for books in lieu of cards for a baby shower? I've been to two baby showers where guests were asked to do this and I LOVED the idea and want to do this for my baby shower also. I remember getting one book off Amazon but the other one was a "like new" book I found in the library book sale pile that was not originally a library book. I am known for being a bookworm and want to instill the same love of books in my child. I don't mind if the book is used as long as it is in good condition. Do people think it's weird to ask this?

View attachment 413454
My friend’s mother did this for her baby shower. “In lieu of a greeting card, we would appreciate it if you would give the baby a copy of your favorite children’s book. Please write a personal note to the baby.”

As a Pre-K teacher, I had a really hard time narrowing it down. Once I narrowed it down to Eric Carle, my favorite illustrator, it was easier to choose the book.

I always give books as gifts at baby showers, so I had to shop from the baby registry for the gift.

I like the idea, but some other people attending the shower complained that they spent more than they planned. Her mother also asked for diapers. So we all brought a board book, Pampers, and a gift from the registry. I was fine with it because I love my friend, but there were definitely some guests that thought it was a bit much.

View attachment 413454
My niece is doing this for her baby shower. It's a wonderful idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter