What are you reading now? (Book suggestion thread)

Ware Bears

Bring me that horizon
Would anyone be interested in a book suggestion thread? Sometimes I'm at a loss at what to read next and end up scouring the reviews on Amazon for ideas so a thread on here would be so handy.

I've just finished reading Light a Penny Candle by Maeve Binchy. I first read this when it was first published in the 80s but purchased it again in a job lot from the Book People last year after hearing about the sad passing of Maeve.

It's about two girls, one English and one Irish, who meet when the English girl is evacuated during the second world war to stay with the Irish girl and her family and their turbulent lives as they grow up.

I love Maeve's style of writing, she just has this knack of making you feel comforted - like a hot bath when you've got caught out in the rain or a nice cup of tea.

Hoping lots of you will join in ..... :)

I'm reading Divergent.

I thought the movie looked interesting, but almost always the book is better. I picked it up and I'm loving it and sailing right through it.

I'm just not sure if I want to see the movie now... can't decide.

I just finished Dust by Patricia Cornwell, which was a fantastic read, but quite graphic at times.

Corinna

Light a Penny Candle by Maeve Binchy - love this book

I am reading Inferno by Dan Brown, someone gave it me and I wasn't sure that I would like it, but I am hooked.:goodvibes

I really enjoyed Inferno too but then I've enjoyed all Dan Brown's books - once I start one I can't put it down.

I really enjoyed Inferno too but then I've enjoyed all Dan Brown's books - once I start one I can't put it down.

I'm like that once I get into them I find some slow at the start and then can't put them down. My fave is Angels and a Demons

I just read the first part of Conn Iggulden's new trilogy about the War of the Roses, looking forward to the next part which comes out in September.

I haven't read any Maeve Binchy but that sounds like a book I'd like. Have you read any Lesley Pearse? You might like them as they sound like similar authors.

Other authors I like are Susan Lewis, Penny Vincenzi, Marian Keyes, Philippa Gregory, Alison Weir, Matthew Reilly, Clive Cussler, Lindsey Kelk, Sophie Kinsella, Cathy Kelly, Fiona Walker, Kate Thompson and I'm sure there's more!

I love Maeve Binchy books and have got them all and have read some of them over and over again - although I much prefer her earlier ones (The Glass Lake is my favourite I think as it was the first one I read)

I also like Jeffrey Archer novels (but not his short stories) - he has a knack of keeping you hanging on til the very last page and theres often a twist even on that last page

61 Hours by Lee Child. part of the Jack Reacher series, one was made into a film that Tom Cruise starred in based on the book One Shot. I just read that one a few weeks ago :)

Lots of great suggestions. :thumbsup2

I'm about to read A Dark and Twisted Tide by Sharon Bolton, the fourth thriller featuring a detective called Lacey Flint. I was lucky and won a proof copy in a give-away by the author and can't wait to start it.

I love Harlan Coben! His books are thrillery/crimes books, always a twist in the tail. Easy reads, nice short chapters so you can grab a fix quite easily! Loads of books already, now addicted so have to buy them as soon as they are released. Also love Bernard Cornwell, especially the Kong Arthur trilogy. Just recently read all of the Game of Thrones books, need to re-read now as there was so much going on I can't remember everything!

I am getting rather excited. I am flying to the USA on Thursday and there the 7th book in the Kingdom Keepers series has been out for nearly a month. So I am hoping that I will be able to pick this up during our layover at New York JFK.

Corinna

I'm currently just over half way through Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes.

I won a whole box of books from our local radio station, and this was amongst them. It's her first novel, and as there are three books by her, I thought I'd give it a go before I decided what to do with them (keep or donate).

It tells the story of Cathy, a woman with a traumatic past, who is living with severe OCD in the "present" as a result. The narrative alternates between telling the story of her past, and her present, both in a linear fashion but interwoven wit each other, so as you read more of her past, you discover and understand more of her in the present.

I'm finding it gripping- tense at times, and heartbreaking at times (I used to have OCD myself, so really appreciate how realistic the author's depiction of Cathy's disorder is), and enjoying the way the story is unfolding.

I'm currently just over half way through Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes.

I won a whole box of books from our local radio station, and this was amongst them. It's her first novel, and as there are three books by her, I thought I'd give it a go before I decided what to do with them (keep or donate).

It tells the story of Cathy, a woman with a traumatic past, who is living with severe OCD in the "present" as a result. The narrative alternates between telling the story of her past, and her present, both in a linear fashion but interwoven wit each other, so as you read more of her past, you discover and understand more of her in the present.

I'm finding it gripping- tense at times, and heartbreaking at times (I used to have OCD myself, so really appreciate how realistic the author's depiction of Cathy's disorder is), and enjoying the way the story is unfolding.

I read this about 18 months ago and I really enjoyed it. I got a copy of her next book, Human Remains on kindle when it was 99p and whilst it was ok, it wasn't as good as her first one.

I'm currently looking for something new to read. DH is away so nothing scary atm lol!

Some recommendations I really enjoyed are: -
Sister by Rosamund Lupton
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstein
The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton
The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult
Me before You by Jojo Moyes
Still Alice by Lisa Genova

Currently reading Arab Israeli Wars. Prior to that i read Richard the Lionheart brmy Sharon Penman. Telling his story from becoming king to the end of his Crusade and all the bitterness and rivalry between the different Crusade forces. More in fighting than actual fighting. Have ordered the follow up to it.

Getting some history in.

Read The Key by Simon Toyne and also the follow up of that.
Didn't read the 1st in the trilogy though Sanctus

Revolves a round a group of monks in a Citadel in Turkey and the Vatican. Preventing some one from revealing the secrets of the Sanctus and the effects it will have on the world.
Very good books.

61 Hours by Lee Child. part of the Jack Reacher series, one was made into a film that Tom Cruise starred in based on the book One Shot. I just read that one a few weeks ago :)

The follow up to 61 hours was very good.

If you like Lee Childs, then also try Steve Berry. They are a cross between Lee Childs and Dan Brown

The follow up to 61 hours was very good.

If you like Lee Childs, then also try Steve Berry. They are a cross between Lee Childs and Dan Brown

Thanks :thumbsup2 I keep looking out for them at the charity shops as you can pick them up for a pound or two. I will look out for the other author too, always good to know.

I thought I would bump this thread as its summer and often a time to look for books to read on holiday.

Im off work sick for a few weeks so doing a lot of reading at the moment both on my kindle and 'real' books.

Im waiting for the 4th book in the Clifton Chronicles series (Jeffrey Archer) to come out in paperback so am reading the first 3 again in preparation

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!