What are you buying your kids for Xmas?

LilMamiBella

DIS Veteran
I'm trying to figure out how I want to do this this year.
My son ( who'll be 6 1/2) has a gamecube system, a nintendo 64 system, gameboy, and leapster. I'm thinking that we will probably sell the nintendo 64 system. He also has his own 13'' tv.
My son lives and breathes for games. That's all he ever talks about so I'm hesitant about buying any other video games for him.

My daughter ( 3 1/2) does not having any game systems. She will occasionally play with my son's games or leapster. I'm considering buying her a v-smile w/ a couple of games and maybe a princess tv and dvd player. She's still little though so maybe these choices aren't a good idea. I did ask her what she wanted for Xmas and she said," Spongebob toy, princess tv, dora something, blocks/legos, and cinderella movie."

So, my question is what are you buying your kids for Xmas? Do you think what I'm considering for my daughter is crazy? If you had my kids what would you buy them? lol Btw, we're also going to Disney the first part of December so I'm hoping not to spend too much on Christmas presents.

So, my question is what are you buying your kids for Xmas? Do you think what I'm considering for my daughter is crazy? If you had my kids what would you buy them? lol Btw, we're also going to Disney the first part of December so I'm hoping not to spend too much on Christmas presents.

Well since you asked... Personally, I think a TV for a child is ridiculous. My kids are 11 & 8, and they don't have TV's in their rooms (maybe when they are teens). At such a young age, kids are pretty much happy with anything. You can spend under $100 for a 3 y/o and get a lot of toys, IMO. I'd give them $30 to spend at Disney and tell them that was my X-mas present to them. Then, I'd have Santa bring some toys.

I'm buying my ds a trip to Disneyworld! lol!

We will be there Dec 13-17th.

Otherwise, I have picked up a few things already- spiderman puzzle, a "learn how to read" type pocket game for the car, and some Mr Incredible stuff that I just bought at Disney Direct. I will probably pick up some PJ's, a few books, and that will be it. My mom overbuys since he is her only grandchild, so I don't buy much myself. He knows that our big gift for his birthday and Christmas is our trip.

I am anti-tv, so I'm not the person to ask about tv and game systems! The learning game I bought is the first electronic game of any kind that my son will have (and isn't a leappad style with cartridges, etc). We don't have cable, and other than watching 20min of Sesame Street before school, the tv is hardly ever on. I keep it in a cabinet with the doors shut and am hoping someday when it breaks I can replace it with a tank of exotic fish. :flower:

I personally would buy the Dora stuff, Leggos, and the Cinderella movie for those rainy/snowy days, but not a tv or games.

I'm sure they will love whatever you decide to buy them! :) Why not let them pick out something when they are at disney?

To be honest, I really don't think that kids should have tv's in their rooms, it encourages them to watch too much and you can't monitor what they're watching or how much. That being said, my kids have asked for tv's this year and will probably get them :rotfl: , but they are older and I'm having a problem with my older kids wanting to watch shows for their age then my preschooler is always getting left out because they don't get alot of tv time anyway.

My 4yo DS is getting Pop-Onz (I got them for half off and he really wanted some) and a leapster, and a few other things I'm not sure of yet. My other kids all have game boys and we have one playstation 2 that is for our whole family and until it breaks or we can't buy games for it anymore it will be the only game system in our house. I'm old fashioned, but I think the kids should play outside and play with toys, not sit in front of a screen. The only reason they have the games they have is because DH is on their side! I like to take the kids through the toy aisles at the store and see what they're really interested in, that seems to work better than the commercials on tv where everything looks cool to them. I also look at what the preschool has that they really like, like wooden blocks, my kids LOVE those, but never would've asked for them. Art supplies are good (and cheap), too. I almost always buy Crayola washable because they actually do wash out of EVERYTHING.

Since your daughter wants a princess tv, maybe you could get her something else princess instead. I don't know if that helps any, just my 2 cents.

personally--I'm not into electronic gaming itmes. I always thought they were for older children--I think we were 8 or older before we got exposed to video games and stuff. Good ol' fashioned atari!

Our girls will never have a television either--but that is our family choice. Of course they have their own computer--just b/c hubby owns many--and doesn't want his pc used for kid games. But it is monitored and kept in the living room.

For my girls we are considering from American girl....

for my 5yo--bitty baby with accessories

for my will be 3yo--the bitty twins.

My kids read this board, so I have to be careful. ;)

However, even though my kids are 11 and 14, Santa still visits our house. He brings 3 gifts per child, just like the Baby Jesus received from the wise men. (I don't want to argue about what the Bible actually says about this - this idea was a real godsend to me, especially when the kids were smaller and Christmas was getting out of hand.)

This year, my kids are getting a trip to Disney World ::MickeyMo from Mom and Dad, plus a few items we buy on or for our trip , plus whatever Santa brings.

I just wanted to say that the tv that my son has doesn't get any channels. Its only for video games. We are going to Disney and we're still saving for it. So I don't want to spend so much $$$ on Christmas like I did last year ( about $2000).
My daughter has the bitty twins but she doesn't really play with them much. I'm not sure if I want to sell them or just wait and see if maybe later she'll play with them more.
V-smile is supposed to be educational and for kids ages 3-7 so I thought that would be better than a regular game system.

Personally, I avoid anything that encourages my kids to veg out in front of the TV. We have only two TVs in our house (one with no cable for just watching movies), one computer, and one Xbox system that belongs to my DH and is used only occasionally on weekends. (I have 5 girls, ages 2-8.) No other electronic toys. My girls get art supplies, polly pockets, my little ponys, barbies, stuffed animals etc. We have numerous dollhouses, and they always need new people/animals/furniture. My three year old also REALLY loves dress-up clothes. Each girl gets 3 gifts from us (santa), plus a few extra things for extended family. My 4 year old will also get an american girl TYPE doll this year (from Target). My older girls have favorite dolls, so they will get clothes for them.

To be honest, Christmas is always a dilema for me- I would feel guilty if they missed out on something they REALLY wanted, but I am also trying not to steal their joy by giving TOO MUCH.

I personally like the leap pad products--v-smile looked like it hooked up to the television...and while probably educational...it just lays the foundation for videogaming. Of course I guess leap pad does it as well.

So I don't know.

I'm just not a video gaming kind of gal. But if I had to choose--a portable handheld system would be what I would get if I were to get one.

Come on people, give the OP a break! She asked what gifts Santa's buying for kids this year, not whether her almost 7 year old should have a TV or not.

So what if he has a TV dedicated to video games? She also never said it was in his bedroom, not that that matters anyway. That's not what this thread is about. Keep your judgements to yourself and stick to the question at hand. My goodness. :rolleyes:

Anyway, my girls also love games, especially my 6 year old. We have Xbox and they each have a gameboy and then there's computer games. They have lots of games...but maybe I'll get them some more if any good kids ones come out before Christmas.

So far I can't think of anything big to get them yet, just some small things. The toy commercials haven't started yet! They will soon enough though!

I usually get them a bunch of smaller things, not really one big thing. More fun on Christmas morning.

I usually spend about $300 each approximately. Of course, it depends.

Good luck deciding!!

Come on people, give the OP a break! She asked what gifts Santa's buying for kids this year, not whether her almost 7 year old should have a TV or not.

Part of her question is deciding whether to get a 3 1/2 y/o a TV & DVD player. I think that invites opinions on TVs for kids. (not judgement, just opinions).

My girls are set on a dollar amount $100 each pluse 2 shared gifts
I have gotten Haley (4.5) so far a new bike, pjs, swimming suit for next year, Princess dress up clothes, wiggs, and shoes Her and the other two love to dress up!
Katie(2.5) is getting a new bike, My little pony stuff, and movies
Emily(1.5) is getting Little people toys bath toys and a new bike!
Haley is done except her birthday present(12/27). Katie needs 2 more things and her birthday present(12/31). Emily she needs a few more things but i think she will be just happy with the paper!

I am not really sure what we are buying but I do have a few ideas.
DS10-Wants new skateboard,Kids' Illustrated magazine subscription,shox
DS8-Skateboard,cowboy boots
DD6-bike and helmet,clothes for bitty baby and her American Girl doll
DD1-she will almost be two and needs more age appropriate toys.
These are just a few things they have mentioned.

imsayin said:
Part of her question is deciding whether to get a 3 1/2 y/o a TV & DVD player. I think that invites opinions on TVs for kids. (not judgement, just opinions).

I missed the part about what she might get the 3 year old. I was focusing on the 7 year old and his TV. My mistake.

I still think some are being a bit harsh, but that's just me.

My kids are getting a trip to Disney World :cool1: We have told them already that Santa will be sending some Disney $$'s for them to spend at WDW. We will likely pick up a few things while we are there and save them for Christmas (which is only 2 weeks after we get back.)

While my kids do have PS2, we really limit the amount of time they play with it. They both have leapsters which get alot of use and have taught them alot. We have a V-smile but they kids aren't to into that one. How about getting your daughter her own leapster with the Dora game (this is one of my kids favorites.) You could also get her some princess costumes/accessories and maybe a cute little tea set for pretend play. As for your son, since he has so many indoor things, how about something like a scooter or new bike to get him out of the house for awhile (if you live in a colder climate where it snows, how about a cool sled.) Other suggestions are a soccer or baseball or basketball set.

Santa has always left a TRU gift certificate for each of our kids so they could go and pick out something special.

I think if you want to buy your dd the TV-- then do it. My son has a TV in his room (he's 12). It's for his PS2. Also, we monitor how much time he has. Just as in life there's a good balance to everything. He does well in school, participates in many sports, and would rather play outside than watch the TV.

Since you asked what we are buying-- DS wants an electric guitar and amp w/ lessons. So that is what I am getting him. He will also get clothing too. As we only buy some school clothing to last him until Christmas.

My kids are each getting Lands End bean bag chairs from Mom and Dad. Santa is bringing DD1.5 a Cabbage Patch Doll and bringing some Creatrix and something else little for DS4. Santa also stuffs the kids' stockings with DVDs, stuffed animals, age-appropriate computer games for DS, more track for DS's Thomas set, and one candy for each child.

Personally, I don't see any reason for a 3 year old to have his/her own t.v. There are lots of educational games you could get DD for the computer -- my DS has Disney, Blues Clues, and Hot Wheels games, which are all great. We also have a couple of the old Atari games that hook directly to the t.v. -- the single player, pre-loaded ones -- DS loves to play Dig-Dug and Pac Man.

If you're asking for advice on what to get your kids, then I would recommend a gift certificate for your son so he could pick out one or two new games on his own. And I would get your daughter the blocks and cinderella movie that she asked for and some educational games for the computer -- Dora, Blues Clues, etc..

WOW...I am so shocked at how many people are getting such a jump ahead on Christmas shopping! I was impressed that I've gotten a lot of gifts for DD's bday in October already!!! BTW, she will be two and is getting the Disney Princess dress up trunk, a Mrs. Potato Head (we will be getting some extra Disney accessories on our trip), and Dora's talking backpack. She will also be getting her Halloween costume (which DH and I have decided will always be part of her bday gift since her bday is the week before).

Any gift ideas for Christmas for a 2 year old? She loves Little People (but has pretty much all of them) and her dolls. She is also a Disney freak (I've created a monster!) and has recently gotten into Dora. Hearing her try to speak Spanish is a riot! Her big present last Christmas was the Disney Princess kitchen and she uses that daily (cooking for all her babies!) so if anyone is looking for an idea for a toddler girl- I highly suggest it.

I was thinking about a skateboard set for my son. But, I'm not sure if he'd play with it. He has a bike but the tires need air. I even thought about getting my daughter a regular small bike. But she doesn't really know how to ride a bike that well. Maybe some legos for the kids?
I'm not sure if I want to get rid of the two game systems or keep one. I've read the responses and I do agree that he needs to be out more playing. We even bought them a new wooden playset; so lately they've been playing with it. I think we'll go to toys r us and the kids can let me know what they want Santa to get them.

I am not sure what DD's will be getting...I do have a few things already in the closet but will be xmas shopping here soon. They will be 3 and 10 months - so the baby is pretty easy a couple little age appropriate toys and DD 3, I don't know yet.

They always get a new ornament and pj's xmas eve...that way when they grown up and move on they will have their own set of ornaments!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!